Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi CLI SP/HP experiences

tag
creditFiend
Established Contributor

Citi CLI SP/HP experiences

Hello all,

I was approved for the Citi DC 12/16th with a $1200 limit.  I've been debating on what I want to do, 'keep the limit, & let it grow via SPs' or 'request a HP increase upon arrival, & activation'.  At one point I figured, an extra HP wouldn't be too bad, but now I'm like "I don't want to go that route, & I'll just wait".  I wanted to take advantage of a balance transfer so that's the reason for wanting a higher line with them.  Question:  I've read on other forums, that Citi sometimes target an individual for a SP increase by sending an email invitation.  It says to apply through creditlimitincrease.citi.com   Before finalizing; If you are eligible for a SP increase it should say  "A credit bureau inquiry is not required";  If not, it will say  "By submitting this form you authorize Citibank, N.A. to check your credit history." (HP)

I have not tried this as I do not have any other Citi cards to test, but it would be interesting to see if this could be a successful way of achieving a SP without blindly going in wondering if a hard or soft will happen, when requesting CLI on existing or new accounts.

What are your experiences with any of their cards?  Does anyone else have or had success this way?  Will any of you test this theory, & come back with results?

*edited for questions

Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jason86423
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi CLI SP/HP

Generally Citi will do both - hard pull and soft pull.

When you try to increase your Credit Limit you will see two things

One will say something similar to

It's easy to find out if you qualify for a credit limit increase. By clicking "Continue" you understand that we will obtain a credit bureau report to evaluate your request. Our credit department will review your request within 24 hours.  - This will cause a hard pull.

If it says anything else, and I don't remember the exact verbage, but usualy that means there is an already approved CLI wating for you.

I've had both on my accounts.   I stay away until theres a preapproved request sitting there.

Message 2 of 9
creditFiend
Established Contributor

@jason86423 wrote:

It's easy to find out if you qualify for a credit limit increase. By clicking "Continue" you understand that we will obtain a credit bureau report to evaluate your request. Our credit department will review your request within 24 hours.  - This will cause a hard pull.

If it says anything else, and I don't remember the exact verbage, but usualy that means there is an already approved CLI wating for you.

I've had both on my accounts.   I stay away until theres a preapproved request sitting there.

Thanks for your reply.  So if I understand this correctly, you're saying that it will tell you BEFORE clicking continue?  At that point I can deny going further with the HP, depending on the verbiage?

Good to know!

Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
Message 3 of 9
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

Just go to the "Request Credit Limit Increase" page. It will say if it will be a hard or soft pull before you do anything.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never had a HP with Citi luv button. It's always a SP.

Message 5 of 9
creditFiend
Established Contributor

Re: Citi CLI SP/HP experiences

@OnTheRebound➡Great! That's exactly the answer I wanted to know. If there would be a choice before proceeding. Thanks!

@solongtj➡How often do you request one for a SP? Did you do a request upon activation also?
Message 6 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jason86423 wrote:

Verbiage is 

It's easy to find out if you qualify for a credit limit increase. A credit bureau report will not be requested and you will receive an instant decision.

But I don't think it means an offer is waiting.   I get that shortly after get a SP as well, and I have in the past had a rejection because of a previous recent (SP) increase.

Message 7 of 9
mikelo22
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jason86423 wrote:

Verbiage is 

It's easy to find out if you qualify for a credit limit increase. A credit bureau report will not be requested and you will receive an instant decision.

But I don't think it means an offer is waiting.   I get that shortly after get a SP as well, and I have in the past had a rejection because of a previous recent (SP) increase.

Yep, that's the exact message I had when I just asked for a SP on my Citi card earlier today. I just put in my income and immediately got offered another $1,500 increase. However, they give you the opportunity to request even more and a Citi rep will review it in 24 hours. They they warn that this will resut in them pulling your report from the credit bureau. 

You have to wait six months between CLI's. I last requested on June 20th. 

Message 8 of 9
itguy_65
Frequent Contributor

I have had experience with both HP and SP CLIs with Citi.  I apped for the Citi TYP a few months ago with a $10K limit, which I had planned to use for BTs with the 0% for 18 months APR.  I called when I got the card activated and requested an increase (HP) to $20K, which I got within 10 minutes.  I also have a Citi Diamnond Preferred that I have had for over two years now, which I converted to DoubleCash a few months ago, which I request SP CLIs every 6 months, though they are generally less than $2K each time.

EQ (3/24/17): 820 TU (3/24/17): 799 EX (3/24/17): 806
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.