cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi CLI denied

Super Contributor

Citi CLI denied

I asked for a CLI on my Citi Forward, and got declined, with reason:

 

Your available lines of credit, as shown on your credit bureau report, are too high when compared to your
income.

 

The ratio isn't that high, about 1.5 my income, but I guess that Citi is about 20% of my credit and might be getting nervous.  FIA gave me an increase two weeks ago, but maybe that was the straw that ....

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES
Established Contributor

Re: Citi CLI denied

If you do a request through the website is that a hard inquiry or SP?

Message 2 of 10
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi CLI denied


Rackham94 wrote:

If you do a request through the website is that a hard inquiry or SP?


Calling in is the easiest as you can tell them you don't want the Hardpull. If you use the form it can either be a soft or a hard depending on how far you go with it.

Scores: EX - 769 (Amex FICO 5/21/16) TU - 763 (Discover FICO - 4/30/16), EQ - 795 (Citi FICO - 5/24/16)
Current Cards: Amex BCE - 10k, NFCU cashRewards Sig - 8k, Discover It - 10k, Citi Dividend WE - 8k, Chase Freedom - 4k, Chase Amazon Visa Sig - 4k
Last App: 3/4/2016.
Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi CLI denied

I requested a CLI on my CITI forward 2 nights ago from 5,800 --> 7,000. Instant approval with only SP via luv button. That limit is now 21% of my total credit lines. YMMV? 

Message 4 of 10
Mega Contributor

Re: Citi CLI denied


longtimelurker wrote:

I asked for a CLI on my Citi Forward, and got declined, with reason:

 

Your available lines of credit, as shown on your credit bureau report, are too high when compared to your
income.

 

The ratio isn't that high, about 1.5 my income, but I guess that Citi is about 20% of my credit and might be getting nervous.  FIA gave me an increase two weeks ago, but maybe that was the straw that ....


Yea I think you may have reache the threshold of what Citi is comfortable lending you Smiley Sad




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 10
Super Contributor

Re: Citi CLI denied

This was a hard pull, which wasn't a surprise but I actually thought it would be blocked as the card is 5 months old.  But apparently not.  I am waiting for a callback to see if they can move credit lines around, although it really doesn't matter that much, as this card is not utilized more than about 10% of the current CL.

Message 6 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi CLI denied


longtimelurker wrote:

This was a hard pull, which wasn't a surprise but I actually thought it would be blocked as the card is 5 months old.  But apparently not.  I am waiting for a callback to see if they can move credit lines around, although it really doesn't matter that much, as this card is not utilized more than about 10% of the current CL.


They may have changed the rules. I was able to request and be approved for an increase on two cards I got in late December. One from 5,000 to 8,000 and the other from 6,500 to 11,500. I am not sure if it was a hard inquiry or not, but the agents said they may require an inquiry be done. Are you a Citigold client?

Message 7 of 10
Super Contributor

Re: Citi CLI denied


navigatethis12 wrote:

longtimelurker wrote:

This was a hard pull, which wasn't a surprise but I actually thought it would be blocked as the card is 5 months old.  But apparently not.  I am waiting for a callback to see if they can move credit lines around, although it really doesn't matter that much, as this card is not utilized more than about 10% of the current CL.


They may have changed the rules. I was able to request and be approved for an increase on two cards I got in late December. One from 5,000 to 8,000 and the other from 6,500 to 11,500. I am not sure if it was a hard inquiry or not, but the agents said they may require an inquiry be done. Are you a Citigold client?


Oh, they can give CLIs with a soft pull as well.  Not sure why I needed a hard since I got a card from them last month, but whatever.

 

And no, not Citigold, don't like the rates.

Message 8 of 10
Super Contributor

Re: Citi CLI denied


longtimelurker wrote:

This was a hard pull, which wasn't a surprise but I actually thought it would be blocked as the card is 5 months old.  But apparently not.  I am waiting for a callback to see if they can move credit lines around, although it really doesn't matter that much, as this card is not utilized more than about 10% of the current CL.


i think you reached their threshold for now because your account with them is only 5 months old.

 

i tried chasing chase EO if it was a good idea for me to app for the ink when I got my CLIs. She said I ought to use my new cards and CLI for a few months and then try since Chase just issued me so much credit (28.5k) in just a month. Kinda hinted I was close or already at the threshold they're willing to give me for now. 

 

 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 10
Super Contributor

Re: Citi CLI denied

Yes, if they call, I will ask them.   But I have an open account that is three years old.  But you have a good point, the others being 5 months, 2 months and 1 month might not look great, and I have several closed accounts.

 

But the denial cited just that one reason, too much credit limit for income, and didn't even give me my score as that wasn't part of their decision.  Oh well, I  will just ask my boss for a large raise so I can get a CLI!

Message 10 of 10