Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi CLI- not even a soft pull- interesting info from CSR

tag
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Citi CLI- not even a soft pull- interesting info from CSR

Called Citi today about getting a product change and a CLI on my Citi Diamond Pref.  The frontline agent was clueless, and I asked for an Account Mgr.  The Acct Mgr told me that he cannot guarantee a soft pull.  Well, they processed the CLI with a soft pull, and went from a meager $3000 to $3750.  This would be a respectable CLI for many people, but was rediculous to me, based on my other CLI's.  I asked him about why the incresase was so meager, and he explained:

When the computer looks at these elligible CLI's, it does not even SP your credit. It only looks at the history you have on that card. Unless you do a HP, they will not even LOOK at your credit file to make that decision.

Interesting tidbit, don't you think?

Was also told that since the initial promo had an 18 month timeframe, I could not do a PC until after it expired (18 month BT offer), not the 13 months that applies in other situations.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi CLI- not even a soft pull- interesting info from CSR

@crunching_numbers wrote:

Called Citi today about getting a product change and a CLI on my Citi Diamond Pref.  The frontline agent was clueless, and I asked for an Account Mgr.  The Acct Mgr told me that he cannot guarantee a soft pull.  Well, they processed the CLI with a soft pull, and went from a meager $3000 to $3750.  This would be a respectable CLI for many people, but was rediculous to me, based on my other CLI's.  I asked him about why the incresase was so meager, and he explained:

When the computer looks at these elligible CLI's, it does not even SP your credit. It only looks at the history you have on that card. Unless you do a HP, they will not even LOOK at your credit file to make that decision.

Was also told that since the initial promo had an 18 month timeframe, I could not do a PC until after it expired (18 month BT offer), not the 13 months that applies in other situations.

That may be correct, when I got my CL from $9,000 to $10,500 last month online, I had to consent to pull but it came back saying 1500 CLI is available right across and your CR was not pulled. I thought that may have meant a SP, but now I think it means no CR review.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, this is on par with some credit card lenders, but primarily Citi.  Any offered promotion or product has to be honored based on the approved terms (whichever expires or converts 1st) in order to exit the current/existing offer in adherence to the Card Act guidance.

As far as CLIs, this is pretty much the standard governance for their particular underwriting model.  So, while the CLI was nominal, just take it... after all, it was a SP.  The older/aged accounts can get the SPs and qualify for higher CLs.  My Citi Divident World MC received an automatic CLI and the increase was around 4.5K.  I noticed they had softed me the month prior, and with a clean/thick file and a good score, they're known for higher CLIs.

Message 3 of 4
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Your information is correct. I have gotten 2 - 6 month CLI with citi with not even a SP. Anything more than that it's an HP via online. On the phone when you hit your 6 months, you can ask the CSR (I normally call the citi retention #) and they can tell you how much is already offered in the system. Anything more than that they will HP you.

When you asked online, they will counter the already system approved without the pull at all. You can either accept or cancel. If you want more you will have to call in and get an HP. If you accept and ask for more, you will get another HP as explained by the CSR.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.