Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi /Cap One Mastercard

tag
2NE1
Established Contributor

Citi /Cap One Mastercard

I plan on applying next month to one or two "re-building" credit CCs. Has anyone tried the Citi Secured CC? I read on their website that after 18 months there's an option to upgrade to one of their platinum ones. Which CRA do they pull? I read somewhere that if you have more than two inquiries on a CR they instantly deny you.

INQ's: I only have 2 my EQ (hit early 2011) on my TU I have 12 (10 hit in 2010) and on my EX I have about 10, (6 hit in 2010).

I also would like to app for Cap One (either Secure or Unsecured). I received THREE of their "pre-approval" letters in the mail (weird).

I plan on stoppyin by in person at a branch for BOTH banks to apply.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Juan123
Established Contributor

Re: Citi /Cap One Mastercard

well first, if you're not an account holder at capital one (checking or savings) you can't apply at the branch. I wouldn't get the cap1 secured card since there is no option for it to be unsecured. ever.

The cap1 platinum card with $39 annual fee is the way i'd go if you're going to aplpy for an unsecured card with rebuilding scores.

Also, i got approved for the citi bank card with 22 inquries on my equifax report  >_<

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 2 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Juan123 wrote:

well first, if you're not an account holder at capital one (checking or savings) you can't apply at the branch. I wouldn't get the cap1 secured card since there is no option for it to be unsecured. ever.

The cap1 platinum card with $39 annual fee is the way i'd go if you're going to aplpy for an unsecured card with rebuilding scores.

Also, i got approved for the citi bank card with 22 inquries on my equifax report  >_<

+1

Give it 6 months good history with that card and try for the no hassle cash rewards card.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@2NE1 wrote:

Has anyone tried the Citi Secured CC?

I've never read on here about anyone having the Citi Secured CC.  Most everyone has secured cards from Capital One, Orchard and HSBC.  I've got secured cards from Cap One, US Bank and USAA Bank.  I know that Citi offers a Secured CC but, I don't remember anyone on here reporting anything about them.

Message 4 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@2NE1 wrote:

Has anyone tried the Citi Secured CC?

I've never read on here about anyone having the Citi Secured CC.  Most everyone has secured cards from Capital One, Orchard and HSBC.  I've got secured cards from Cap One, US Bank and USAA Bank.  I know that Citi offers a Secured CC but, I don't remember anyone on here reporting anything about them.

I was going to try for them 9 months ago but found out I was blacklisted Smiley Mad

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 9
2NE1
Established Contributor

@Juan123 wrote:

Oh really? *sigh* guess I'll have do it online then... I already have two bank accts, I dunno  if I want to open one at Cap One... my auto loan is financed by them though, you think this would count for me as being their "customer"? haha. So no secured card from them... got it! hmm, I wonder if I have to have a (checking or savings) to be eligible to apply at a Citi branch... what about a BoA secured card? do these turn unsecured? I used to have a checking AND savings accts with them but closed them about 3 years ago? I forget.

Message 6 of 9
Juan123
Established Contributor

im pretty sure the BOA card turns unsecured after 12 months of good history. and no. to apply at a branch you need a checking\savings account at cap 1 >_<

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 7 of 9
ptkdude
Regular Contributor

In March 2011, I applied for the Citi secured card and was denied due to:

"A credit obligation, either paid or unpaid, was recorded on your credit bureau report."

They pulled Equifax (I'm in Georgia).  

Upon receipt of my deposit back, I applied for and was approved for the Capital One secured card.  On the Cap1 card, I received a $300 unsecured increase after 6 months.

I have to say I think it's interesting why Citibank denied me.  The reason basically states "you have a tradeline on your credit report". 

Message 8 of 9
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@2NE1 wrote:

I plan on applying next month to one or two "re-building" credit CCs. Has anyone tried the Citi Secured CC? I read on their website that after 18 months there's an option to upgrade to one of their platinum ones. Which CRA do they pull? I read somewhere that if you have more than two inquiries on a CR they instantly deny you.

INQ's: I only have 2 my EQ (hit early 2011) on my TU I have 12 (10 hit in 2010) and on my EX I have about 10, (6 hit in 2010).

I also would like to app for Cap One (either Secure or Unsecured). I received THREE of their "pre-approval" letters in the mail (weird).

I plan on stoppyin by in person at a branch for BOTH banks to apply.

If I were you go to the Cap One website and try the pre-approval link and if any still populate that you maybe qualified for then go ahead and apply for it. Cap One is a good starter/rebuilder card as they were my first card. 

But they might pull all 3 reports if one report doesnt look so good.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.