Established Member
medink

Citi Card - Mastercard

I have a Citi card with a balance of around $1800 with a 7.99% interest rate.  My limit is $8000.  They told me that they are going to up my interest to 14.99% or I can keep the 7.99% but when my card expires at the end of November they will not send me a new card.  I am a good customer that has never been late making payments and I pay over the minimum.  I am keeping the 7.99% but am wondering if I don't pay off the balance before my card expires, will it cause a negative effect on my credit.

Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

Re: Citi Card - Mastercard

Citi did this on my moms card and she called and product changed to another card and they gave her a better rate.

just call them and ask them to give you your rate back and if they say no, ask about product change to lower apr. 

Fico Scores: EQ 673 DCU, TU 678 Wally, EX 669 Chase(08-31-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Express $300
Over 45 Cards in between :smileytongue:
Established Contributor
MojaveMoon

[ Edited ]

Creditaddict wrote:

Citi did this on my moms card and she called and product changed to another card and they gave her a better rate.

just call them and ask them to give you your rate back and if they say no, ask about product change to lower apr. 

I wouldn't have guessed that this were possible, but someone not only was able to do what you said but that person was also able to convert to a discontinued card.

"Now, of course, I was interested as well. I had been thinking about converting my card anyhow and now I had the perfect excuse. I called Citibank and converted my card into something that is no longer offered on the Citi Web site (the Dividend MasterCard). I knew, though, that this card was well known, back in the day, for offering low rates. I chose my new card. This week I received my new card. Did it retain my rate-jacked APR? Nope. My new card now has a rate of less than 10%."
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 03-15-2009 09:58 PM
Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

have you called? do you have an update for us?
Fico Scores: EQ 673 DCU, TU 678 Wally, EX 669 Chase(08-31-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Express $300
Over 45 Cards in between :smileytongue:

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+