Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Cards

tag
hautemama
Regular Contributor

Citi Cards

Hi, I am very interested in app'ing for a Citi Card.. They pulled TU for me when I app'd for the Professional.. Would they pull a diff bureau if I decided to apply for one of their AMEX's?? I was considering their Premier Pass or Platinum AMEX b/c I like the sound of getting a free companion pass.. I've heard sometimes that this isn't useful though b/c they are expensive! I also am considering the Diamond Preferred or Citi Drivers Edge or Professional.. Any input/advice? I know that I can convert drivers rebates to thank you points... Thanks..
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Cards

I have the Driver's Edge Options card, still in the first 12 months. The 6% back on gas and groceries makes it worth it, I'd say.

Personally, I'd like to have this card, one of the premierpass expedia cards, and the Professional Thank You card! That way, 3% on groceries, food, office supplies, and car rentals, along with a bunch of points for booking flights with expedia. I'd use a 5% gas card after the 6% expires on the DE. The professional will also give primary car rental insurance.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

erchambers wrote:
The professional will also give primary car rental insurance.

erchambers, do you have the Citi Professional Card now, and can you verify this firsthand?  There's no mention of auto rental insurance in the card description on the website, and I've spent the last 20 minutes on the phone with various people from Citi (getting transferred around) and nobody can verify this.  I've had to explain to three different reps the difference between primary and secondary insurance myself.

This exchange would have been funny if it didn't actually take place:

Me:  Can you verify for me whether the auto rental insurance that comes with the Citi Professional Card is primary insurance or secondary insurance?

Citi Rep:  Yes, sir, the auto rental insurance is primary insurance and secondary.  It applies for both the primary card holder and an authorized user.

Me:  I'm sorry, maybe my question wasn't clear.  I'm talking about the rental car insurance itself.  Do you know if it's secondary insurance, which means that any damage to the rental car will be covered only after I file a claim with my other sources of insurance, or if it's primary insurance, meaning the damage to the rental car will be covered even if other sources of insurance have not been exhausted?

Citi Rep:  Umm...it is primary and secondary insurance because it applies to anyone who can use the card.  It doesn't matter if it is the primary cardholder.

Me:  I'm sorry, that still doesn't answer my question.  Is there someone I can speak to who can help me answer this question...maybe someone in the department that handles the auto rental insurance policies?

Citi Rep: Yes, sir, give me two minutes.

(30 seconds later....disconnected)

Message Edited by cheddar on 04-07-2008 10:18 PM
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aww cheddar you hurt his feelings... lol
Message 4 of 6
athensguy
Valued Contributor

https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/copy.do?screenID=1262

That link omits the word secondary in its description of the business card insurances.

Also, since the Citi Professional cards are considered business cards:

http://www.mastercard.com/us/business/en/smallbiz/learnabout/businesscard.html
MasterRental® Insurance Coverage. Provides full-value-primary loss coverage (up to $50,000) and secondary personal effects coverage for rental vehicles for up to 31 consecutive days.

Message Edited by erchambers on 04-08-2008 08:42 AM
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the links, erchambers.

Now I guess the only question is whether I really want a card from a company that can't even answer a basic question about their product.  What a nightmare it must be to deal with them if you actually need something important.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.