Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Cards

tag
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

Citi Cards

I just PC my Double Card to Citi Dividend WEMC what is the difference?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
creditfan
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Cards

DC 2% for everything

dividend 5% for selected categories every 3 months

is there anything else?

Message 2 of 12
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

What end-of-market Citi cards are still available for PC?

Message 3 of 12
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

The card sounds like a Freedom / Discover w/ $350,00 rewards cap each quarter that is fine I don't spend too much.

Message 4 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@corymcd88 wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

The card sounds like a Freedom / Discover w/ $350,00 rewards cap each quarter that is fine I don't spend too much.

I think the cap is $300 total...across 5% and 1% spend. I'm not sure if there is a quarterly cap, too.

The Dividend categories also have a reputation for being somewhat less useful than those of Freedom and Discover.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 12
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

The Citi Dividend card is a bit unique.

On the minus side, it has a $300 cap on total annual cashback earnings, not only 5% but 1% too. Practically, after you have earned $300 for the year, there's no more point in using the card any more. 

Not everyone finds the categories useful. But that doesn't mean it's not useful. 

For example, last quarter, it offered 5% on drugstores. Even if you don't spend a ton of money on medicines, it's not difficult to grab a few gift cards, including some for the drugstore itself for future use. 

This quarter, it's offering 5% on Hilton and airfare. I don't know of many zero AF cards that offer 5% on airfare, ever. US Bank used to do it on its Cash+ but that's a few years ago. Folks often book air tickets a few months in advance, especially those who book leisure travels. Should be a no-brainer Smiley Happy

Now, for the biggest plus. 

The category bonus can be earned all in one quarter. So, if you find a quarter that you like, unlike Chase Freedom or Discover It, you can spend all of the $6000 in one shot, get the $300 bonus, and be done with it. With categories like drugstore and airfare, it's definitely a possibility. 

Still, it may not fit the bill of many. For the ones that find good use of the categories, it's a pretty good card.

Also, 6-monthly SP CLI is almost guaranteed. Not sure about that on other Citi cards like the DC. If it's a Citi-wide policy, this will not impact much. 

Message 6 of 12
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@corymcd88 wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I think the cap is $300 total...across 5% and 1% spend. I'm not sure if there is a quarterly cap, too.

The Dividend categories also have a reputation for being somewhat less useful than those of Freedom and Discover.

It's not my only card, if it was my only card then the cap would be to worry about.

Message 7 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Ghoshida wrote:

The Citi Dividend card is a bit unique.

On the minus side, it has a $300 cap on total annual cashback earnings, not only 5% but 1% too. Practically, after you have earned $300 for the year, there's no more point in using the card any more. 

Not everyone finds the categories useful. But that doesn't mean it's not useful. 

For example, last quarter, it offered 5% on drugstores. Even if you don't spend a ton of money on medicines, it's not difficult to grab a few gift cards, including some for the drugstore itself for future use. 

This quarter, it's offering 5% on Hilton and airfare. I don't know of many zero AF cards that offer 5% on airfare, ever. US Bank used to do it on its Cash+ but that's a few years ago. Folks often book air tickets a few months in advance, especially those who book leisure travels. Should be a no-brainer Smiley Happy

Now, for the biggest plus. 

The category bonus can be earned all in one quarter. So, if you find a quarter that you like, unlike Chase Freedom or Discover It, you can spend all of the $6000 in one shot, get the $300 bonus, and be done with it. With categories like drugstore and airfare, it's definitely a possibility. 

Still, it may not fit the bill of many. For the ones that find good use of the categories, it's a pretty good card.

Also, 6-monthly SP CLI is almost guaranteed. Not sure about that on other Citi cards like the DC. If it's a Citi-wide policy, this will not impact much. 

I honestly wish I could give you more than 1 kudo for this.  It's not a card that makes sense for everyone.  I was considering doing a PC from Diamond Preferred to Dividend in the future but wasn't sure how much I would end up using it since I have both Chase Freedom and Discover it.  I think you just sold the card well to me.  Just knowing that I could max it all out in one shot for the year could potentially be great for me.  The problem I run into often is that $1500 in a quarter for restaurants?  Yeah, no problem even for a quarter like this where both cards have restaurants.  But $1500 in gas (or even gas and public transit)?  No way.  My family spends $120 in fuel a month, tops.  I know the categories can sometimes be a bit quirky in comparison to the similar 5% cards; too bad private school tution and daycare aren't among them.  LOL

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The min redemption of rewards for Dividend is $50 while for DC it's $25.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good topic and postings. A few years back I p/c'ed to the Citi Dividend Card when their quarterly categories were more general market. Keep thinking of letting it go but the CL is over $10K and it is a WEMC and they love to let me know all the benefits. Also, I have been able to use some of the 5% quarters so with a no AF I have kept it. Also, have a CIti DC and see no other Citi Card that would fit my spend today (note I am evr watching for new offerings - used to have the Citi Forward VS Card but like Barclays Sallie Mae it is gone for me).
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.