cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Checking & Credit Card compromised...a few questions.

tag
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

Citi Checking & Credit Card compromised...a few questions.

So I wake up to a missed phone call from CitiBank and I don't call back right away. Later I decide to hop online to check my account, and low and behold my checking account is nearly cleaned out, and hundreds of dollars were cash advanced on my credit card (crazy because I don't even know my PIN for the CC). Now I purposely don't use my debit card for anything but ATM deposits at my local branch because I'm paranoid over getting my card stolen which ironically happened anyways.

I called Citi and had to talk to seperate people--one for my checking and one for my credit card--to initiate a investigation or whatever they called it. The checking account lady made some comments that were rude I think. She asked me how someone could take money from an ATM if I was still in possession of my card--(I mean if I knew that I wouldn't be have had the problem lol). I pretty much said I have no idea and I assumed they would have the culprits picture from the cameras. I mean, I'm no rocket scientist but after 10 seconds of googling I read how its possible, so I don't know what her deal was. The next call was to the credit card department, they were very nice and helpful and were going to take care of everything and send a new card and account number.

My question is (since bank is closed I can't call and confirm) when can I hope to see my money returned to my checking account. I know the lady said their investigation could take up to 120 day, but that can't realistically be the wait time to get my money returned because of their flimsy security--I mean I still have bills and other things going on that can't wait 120 days. Has anyone here experienced this? And maybe with Citi? Im going to check in on monday to see whats going on, but in the meantime i was hoping someone might have some unfortunate experience they could share. Thanks.

Transunion - 820 (9/8/21)
Equifax Fico 8 - 832 (9/8/21)
Vantagescore - 821 (3/20/21)
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
MrPickleton
Established Member

Re: Citi Checking & Credit Card compromised...a few questions.

I actually had my wallet lost and my debit card used fradulently this week so it has been fun for me.  Unfortunately for your checking accout they don't even really have to refund you your money because debit cards tend to not have the protection of credit cards regardless of fault.  If they used the 'credit' option and not withdrawals from ATMS you will be slightly more protected.  I don't know how long it would take but I would suggest filing a police report in conjunction with your bank dispute.  Two heads are better than one, right?  It's what I did and I am going to follow up on either today or tomorrow.  Although mine was a lot less than yours.

tl;dr  It could be 120 days or could be sooner it depends on the amount of charges.  Since it is your money that the bank lost they don't really care as much.  File a police report(if you haven't already), try and get information from stores if there were any purchases.  I am sorry that this happened to you.  It is unfortunate that there are so many dishonest people looking for a quick buck.

Amex BCE: 3000, Discover It 2500, Capital One QS1: 1750

Message 2 of 13
swpopham
Established Contributor

thats why you should be with chase. they would have caught it at the first transaction. Somebody used my card at walmart for like 7 bucks and they caught it ASAP.. it was great. Then somebody used my wifes jpm pd card online for 4 dollars and they caught it before it went threw. their security and fraud team are as good as ive ever seen. They were more cautions then NFCU but ive never had a fraud charge on NFCU but i recommend chase

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 3 of 13
swpopham
Established Contributor

oh and facebook posts on cit will get fast results

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 4 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

For ATMs, how do they get the pin numbers?  

When a thief correctly guesses your pin or notes it when you were entering it, Banks are much more difficult to refund whatever cash was compromised.

I place ATM limit of $20 on all my cards, just in case.

Message 5 of 13
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

When I had a dispute with Citi, the credit was given in about two days. Banks have a maximum of ten days to give a temporary credit when an investigation is being done, so you should see it within that time period.

Message 6 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

For ATMs, how do they get the pin numbers?  

When a thief correctly guesses your pin or notes it when you were entering it, Banks are much more difficult to refund whatever cash was compromised.

I place ATM limit of $20 on all my cards, just in case.

Hrm, I haven't used my debit cards in more than a year, but with a slew of checking accounts that's a good idea.  Thanks.

        
Message 7 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 8 of 13
kk627
New Contributor

This exact thing happened to my checking account with Chase three years ago. I still had my debit card in my wallet. The thieves made a duplicate card and tested it out with a couple small transactions at McDonald's and taxi rides. Then they went to Target and bought $900 in gift cards.

Chase put back my money right away pending their investigation. If it turned out I was lying, they would've debited my account. I went to the police and the detective didn't believe that I didn't have a legitimate second card that got stolen out of my mail box. Luckily my husband is a cop, so he convinced her to take a report, which I forwarded to Chase.

Funny thing is, when we went to Target to speak with the manager, he told us this happened to a few other people. I don't know if they ever caught the person, but Chase concluded that it was indeed fraud.
Message 9 of 13
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone for the responses, I'm going to call Citi again tomorow so I can get a ETA for my funds being returned. What a hassle! I think its time to open a USAA checking .

Transunion - 820 (9/8/21)
Equifax Fico 8 - 832 (9/8/21)
Vantagescore - 821 (3/20/21)
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.