chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Closed All My Accounts

@red259 wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

I wonder how having my very first credit card closed will affect things. It has been in great standing the entire time before it got closed and thankfully, PRG and HHonors cards should be backated to last year. I'm really reminded as to why I do business with different lenders and like having alternatives available there. If one issuer decides to do something like this to me, I have plenty of other options to use. Maybe with all the freed up credit, I might even be able to get some stuff happening on some other cards. Who knows.

Personally I would go VERY easy for the next few weeks, and not pursue any CLIs (and certainly no new apps).   Other banks might have the same view of Citi when they view the CR, and you don't want more new activity to show.

+1 yes, more credit apps is not the way to go. Hopefully the next time someone decides to go on a major spree the will see this thread and think twice. It just sucks to have your accounts closed.

It makes me wish that I hadn't made that mistake last April to do that stupid app spree. It just made things much more of a pain later on and if I could do anything now, it would have been to not ever go on that one in the first place.

How many apps did you make?

It was back when I had just started to read the forum so I wasn't knowledgeable about all these issues then.

Here's what I remember applying for. This was all in April of 2013.

Discover It for Students (first real instant approval)

Wells Fargo College Cash Back

Fingerhut (biggest mistake here)

My first Sync Bank accounts like Walmart, Amazon, Paypal SC, Chevron, and Old Navy

Target RED card (also a huge mistake ugh)

That was it in a nutshell. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 81 of 275
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I can see the value in stopping impulse apps. We've all been guilty of those,  like me back in November with my impulse app of  Citi thank you preferred what a useless card!

I always interpreted "Thank You Preferred" as "We prefer to thank you rather than reward you." Smiley Tongue

Lmao. That had me rolling in an otherwise very depressing thread.

Me too. I don't mind a bit of humor. I think the comedy is helping me look on the bright side.

Another thing to keep in mind that might make you feel better is that you still have a very strong selection of cards that in most cases, still offered better rewards than the ones that were closed.

Message 82 of 275
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I can see the value in stopping impulse apps. We've all been guilty of those,  like me back in November with my impulse app of  Citi thank you preferred what a useless card!

I always interpreted "Thank You Preferred" as "We prefer to thank you rather than reward you." Smiley Tongue

Lmao. That had me rolling in an otherwise very depressing thread.

Me too. I don't mind a bit of humor. I think the comedy is helping me look on the bright side.

Another thing to keep in mind that might make you feel better is that you still have a very strong selection of cards that in most cases, still offered better rewards than the ones that were closed.

Exactly. For a while, my feelings towards Citi had really started to sour with all the BS I had deal with from them, like not being able to change my Forward card to something else (otherwise I would have never apped for the Double Cash in the first place) or constantly having their clueless CSRs reps tell me that I had no APR reduction offers and having to go all the way to the EO just to get that done. IMO, they have been the worst prime lender to deal with outside of Wells Fargo and I really wanted to give them a lot of credit for helping me get started with my credit building and all.

Amex and Chase have really blown them out of the water for me and even Discover is much easier for me to deal with as conservative as they can be with CLs. I still really think this was something that Barclays would have 100x more likely to do.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 83 of 275
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Amex is great in my experience, never really had a problem. I'm not crazy about the delay of posting of rewards for BCE but that is a minor gripe because I save them up for awhile anyway.

I have nothing but praise for Discover as well. Always generous with SP CLI's, auto CLI's and APR reductions. Their rotating categories are always pretty good (ok, I admit this quarter isn't that beneficial for me, gas and ground transit, gas is the same return as my Sallie and I don't use ground transit, but generally I almost always get use out of their categories!)

Message 84 of 275
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

It's really kinda stunning how the Home Depot approval thread is still getting congrats.

I would watch the rest of my accounts like a hawk for awhile but appears this will turn out to only be a Citi AA for you. I feel for the uncertainty after something like this so sudden and totally unexpected.

Message 85 of 275
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I know it's not gonna make a difference and that these people aren't going to care one bit but here's what I sent via secured message:

Please close both my checking and savings accounts as soon as possible. As a result of the recent events that have happened and how Citi has chosen to close my credit card account after having more than a year of having the card, I'm taking my business somewhere else. You have lost yourselves a customer. Good bye. 

Message 86 of 275
ForumPheen
Regular Contributor

Sorry to hear this.

I'm musing now. Although these banks offer co branded cards and store cards, what they are saying is,'we want you to NOT get 3 store cards, but just this 1 revolver to use at those 3 stores.'  

Then what, exactly, is the true meaning of them backing any store card, if they will shut me down for getting 3?  I'm just trying to be a savvy shopper by utlizing the incentive(s) that come with applying for said store cards. 

Capricious.

Starting Score: EX 651/EQ 654/TU 668
Current Score: 735/721/732
Goal Score: 751 as lowest score by 8MAY15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 87 of 275
red259
Super Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

I wonder how having my very first credit card closed will affect things. It has been in great standing the entire time before it got closed and thankfully, PRG and HHonors cards should be backated to last year. I'm really reminded as to why I do business with different lenders and like having alternatives available there. If one issuer decides to do something like this to me, I have plenty of other options to use. Maybe with all the freed up credit, I might even be able to get some stuff happening on some other cards. Who knows.

Personally I would go VERY easy for the next few weeks, and not pursue any CLIs (and certainly no new apps).   Other banks might have the same view of Citi when they view the CR, and you don't want more new activity to show.

+1 yes, more credit apps is not the way to go. Hopefully the next time someone decides to go on a major spree the will see this thread and think twice. It just sucks to have your accounts closed.

It makes me wish that I hadn't made that mistake last April to do that stupid app spree. It just made things much more of a pain later on and if I could do anything now, it would have been to not ever go on that one in the first place.

It was back when I had just started to read the forum so I wasn't knowledgeable about all these issues then.

My first Sync Bank accounts like Walmart, Amazon, Paypal SC, Chevron, and Old Navy

Did you have more apps since then? April 2013 is quite awhile ago. Heck my first active card is from May 2013.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 88 of 275
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

It's really kinda stunning how the Home Depot approval thread is still getting congrats.

I would watch the rest of my accounts like a hawk for awhile but appears this will turn out to only be a Citi AA for you. I feel for the uncertainty after something like this so sudden and totally unexpected.

Comedy.

Message 89 of 275
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

Did you have more apps since then? April 2013 is quite awhile ago. Heck my first active card is from May 2013.

Yes but I tried to spread them out more and it seemed to be working for me. I admit that this month, I really apped more than I have those previous months. 

Message 90 of 275
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.