Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Closed My Account... WTF??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Closed My Account... WTF??

IRS did not provide those to them. I do not think they did not notice my other accounts, they soft pull you when they do a FR and they were able to see my accounts 4 months ago

Message 11 of 29
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

IRS did not provide those to them. I do not think they did not notice my other accounts, they soft pull you when they do a FR and they were able to see my accounts 4 months ago

IRS isn't going to send anything to anyone other than you or your representative.

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, this is not true. There is a form, I think it is called 4610T that they can ask you to sign in order to request the info from IRS. But this is not the case here. Just got off from the phone with like 3 of their supervisors, they told me that the amount of available credit I have is too high... since when 80k is too high to own a Citi card? I know people who have 3 times more and they have multiple Citi cards... WTF?

Do you know of any number to call directly to their executive team?

Message 13 of 29
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

No, this is not true. There is a form, I think it is called 4610T that they can ask you to sign in order to request the info from IRS. But this is not the case here. Just got off from the phone with like 3 of their supervisors, they told me that the amount of available credit I have is too high... since when 80k is too high to own a Citi card? I know people who have 3 times more and they have multiple Citi cards... WTF?

Do you know of any number to call directly to their executive team?

About 2 years ago BoA closed a $26,500 LOC I had with zero balance because they decided I had "enough credit". It doesn't seem right that CCC's do this but that's the way of the credit world right now. I decided to fight other battles. If you want to pursue this then more power to you but perhaps it's time to move on to companies who seem to want your business.

Just my 2 cents.

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

26500 closed before the crunch... wow. I still do not get why they are doing that and then keep on lying to you over the phone

Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

4506T is the form, commonly used in the mortgage loan process, also requested by AmEx during some financial reviews. It is out of character for Citi.

BOA and Citi are in the worst shape of the large banks. In order to improve their balance sheets, they have been reducing their overall total credit limits methodically for the past 1.5 years.

This AA was probably a combination of that and a routine review that flagged the multiple recent accounts. It's not unusual for banks these days to approve an account and then close it down 6 months or a year later using stricter criteria, even though the negatives hadn't changed since the account was opened. Paranoia is still rampant ...

Message 16 of 29
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

26500 closed before the crunch... wow. I still do not get why they are doing that and then keep on lying to you over the phone

I agree with MarineVietVet! And, I also had a 26,500 LOC with BoA closed in 2009. They demanded that I keep drawing on it and I said: "I don't need the money, so NO!" If CITI or any other creditor doesn't want to do business with you, forget about them. Move on, there a lots of other fish in the sea. You decide who you want to do business, its not the other way around.Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 29
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@Lel wrote:

When you first opened this account, your credit report that Citi used to approve your CC didn't have those 3 other new accounts yet.  They probably did a routine check of your credit report and saw all those new accounts and became alarmed that you suddenly had a lot of new credit.  Having all those AUs probably didn't help either - after all, it just increases the number of people who could run up the balance on your card, regardless of the actual pattern of use that you've demonstrated.

When you said that nobody responded to Citi's requests for your income tax records, are you saying that the IRS failed to provide the information, or that you didn't comply with Citi's request?

+1.  Lexa, this sucks having your card closed, but take a look at the scenario.

In a short period of time, you:

* aggressively added credit (4 new lines) in a recessionary credit-decreasing environment.

* added an extreme number of AUs to the account, when most would only add 1 or maybe 2.

* were subjected to a Financial Review by Citi which failed to complete. 

Any one of the above might cause scrutiny.  All 3 combined?  You probably scared the TARP pants off of them!  IMHO the combination of the above sunk your account.  I don't think their "too much available credit" excuse has anything to do with it.  It's just a lame excuse.

Again, very sorry for your credit card closing.  If it were me, I would view this as a warning shot across the credit bow.  Slow down and consolidate your winnings (age your new credit).  Good luck!

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, guys. Just got of from the phone with their Vice President. They will not reopen the account. Whatever. Can you sugges a couple of solid banks to deal with (not the CUs for personal reasons). I have CCs with US BANK, Ameriprise, Elan, NavyFed and Macy's. Thinking of BBVA Compass and PNC and Nationwide right now... Looking for more solid and "predictible" banks than CIti

Message 19 of 29
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you, guys. Just got of from the phone with their Vice President. They will not reopen the account. Whatever. Can you sugges a couple of solid banks to deal with (not the CUs for personal reasons). I have CCs with US BANK, Ameriprise, Elan, NavyFed and Macy's. Thinking of BBVA Compass and PNC and Nationwide right now... Looking for more solid and "predictible" banks than CIti

You may need to look in another country then.

CI

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.