Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Closed My Account... WTF??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Closed My Account... WTF??

The reason was "to many recently opened accounts"... I opened Citi Platinum Select 6 months ago along with USAA, Macy's and Ameriprise... Citi gave me 11.7k initial CL. Have not opened any more cards since then... And they closed my account after 6 months??? WTF?

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Closed My Account... WTF??

With the attitude they have shown...consider that they did you a favor.  If you have no balance, you're fine.  Keep an eye out down the road for a nicer, friendlier card & comapny!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dang!!!  Evidently they changed their internal criteria since they opened your account???

Sorry this happened to you.  +1000 to Mo's comment!

Message 3 of 29
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

I would call and ask why it was closed? Were you keeping a high balance on it? High UTIL? Tell me more about the last 6 months with the card.

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 4 of 29
score_building
Senior Contributor

What a bummer...Citi can be finicky and may consider new accts and inq from the past 1-2 years.

They are perhaps more likely to move against card holders who have a flurry of app together with a short AAoA, but no one is completely safe IMHO.  I noticed from other posts that you seem to be on a protracted app spree of sorts, this AA could be a sign to grow what you have and sit tight for a bit. 

If you ultimately really want Citi again you can always get back with them down the road if they won't reopen this acct on request.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow what a lame excuse to close an account. I opened a Citi and a Discover account on the same day and they did not shut me down six months later.

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened the account 6 months ago, they gave me 11700 CL, after that in 2 months they did a financial review on me, tried t get my income from IRS but after 2 months nobody has responded to their request and they took the block from my account... then after 4 months without any notification my card gets declined in the store... I call the number on the back of the card and it is closed for the above mentioned reason. I opened Macy's, USAA and Ameriprise the same time when I opened that Citi card and have not opened any new accounts since then! Also, I use Citi for every day small purchases and PIF right away. The only reason I see is that I have like 7-8 AUs on the card, decided to help my family and friends out with their utilization... Is there a number to call to reach like a Vice President or somebody who can help? Credit Management Dept said they will not reopen my account

Message 7 of 29
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

WHy did they request a financial review and attempt to contact the IRS? Thats seem very out of character....

800+ Club
Message 8 of 29
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

When you first opened this account, your credit report that Citi used to approve your CC didn't have those 3 other new accounts yet.  They probably did a routine check of your credit report and saw all those new accounts and became alarmed that you suddenly had a lot of new credit.  Having all those AUs probably didn't help either - after all, it just increases the number of people who could run up the balance on your card, regardless of the actual pattern of use that you've demonstrated.

When you said that nobody responded to Citi's requests for your income tax records, are you saying that the IRS failed to provide the information, or that you didn't comply with Citi's request?

Message 9 of 29
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

I totally overlooked the number of AUs he added. I have never head of so many being on one single account. Thats scary.

800+ Club
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.