Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Combine / Reallocate Credit Line??

tag
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Citi Combine / Reallocate Credit Line??

A few months ago I called Citi about combining my DoubleCash & ThankYou cards (both have low limits) and they said they could. they even brought on the analyst on the phone who was going to process it for me, then while he was keying it we hit a bump - my DC had not been open long enough to merge yet, so call back in april 7

i called back 4/08 about closing the dc and moving the credit line to my thankyou card, they said they dont offer that. ther person on the phone sounded new because she said "i dont know if it was different a few months ago but we dont do that"...implying she wasnt around a few months ago. I sent a SM explaining and they gave me a 1 sentence reply to the effect of "we dont do that"

did something change? has anyone had any success with this in 2016? should i call recon line?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Combine / Reallocate Credit Line??

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. As soon as I my DC interest free promo is up, I plan on applying for a diamond preferred (as long as it still has a long interest free period), and I'd probably close the DC and want to combine as well.. I only have one Citi card as of now, so I don't have a way of checking though. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. As soon as I my DC interest free promo is up, I plan on applying for a diamond preferred (as long as it still has a long interest free period), and I'd probably close the DC and want to combine as well.. I only have one Citi card as of now, so I don't have a way of checking though. 

Citi doesn't generally combine or reallocate credit lines without a HP, so it is generally better to apply for a new card then to  reallocate lines. Just the way Citi is I guess. 

Message 3 of 8
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi doesn't generally combine or reallocate credit lines without a HP, so it is generally better to apply for a new card then to  reallocate lines. Just the way Citi is I guess. 

+1

that is true. I do know when i spoke with them the first time about doing this the rep did run a HP (eq)..they can be so inconsistent some times..

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It still can be done.  People have the best luck when they get a hold of a supervisory CSR

Message 5 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Even if you can get Citi to do the reallocation it is usually a HP. Don't know if it's worth the HP to move less than 2k. I'd consider just closing the card you don't want, and then do a HP CLI on your Thankyou. Probably will end up with better results.

Message 6 of 8
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It still can be done.  People have the best luck when they get a hold of a supervisory CSR

i know what you mean. I dont call in there often but sometimes the person has the power to do everything and other times its like trying to explain gravity to a chicken..lol.....just plain ole entertaining

Message 7 of 8
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Even if you can get Citi to do the reallocation it is usually a HP. Don't know if it's worth the HP to move less than 2k. I'd consider just closing the card you don't want, and then do a HP CLI on your Thankyou. Probably will end up with better results.

Yea I agree. I was considering that so i'm thinking i'll just keep them active, use them a bit and in early 2017 (if i can restrain myself and garden the rest of this year lol) and request what you said...close one and apply for an increase, of if something else from citi is out then maybe go after that if the perks are worth it. 

It's nice to contemplate perks as a deciding factor now, i'm still conditioned to deal with what they give, but now a days I have a lot more of the negotiating power -- this rebuild has def been worth it. thanks for the advice!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.