cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Confirmed No Preset Spending Limit is Gone...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Confirmed No Preset Spending Limit is Gone...

In reviewing the Terms & Conditions of several Citi credit cards presently listed on the Citi Bank website "Revolving Credit Limits" still exist. Take a look at the detail of the cards on their website. In the near past many more cards had the eligibility for the NPSL/Flexible Spend/Revolving Limits but both Visa and Master Card eliminated any such requirement. First National Bank of Omaha wiped the NPSL from all their cards 080115 stating it was a risk factor they were not going to have any more. Days of old would have found the CIti Preferred Thank You Card with a NPSL and only the Thank You Card had the hard limit. Back when Citi was offering the Citi Forward Visa many cardholders were upgraded to Visa Signatures but did not get the NPSL (2012-2014). Citi lead the charge in eliminating some of the revolving limits but not all. As is the usual CSR information there is always room to wonder as it seems their training is not as complete or comprehensive as in the days of old. Such is life. In the recent past, Citi Cards with the Card Numbers beginning: Master Card 5466-16XX, Master Card 5585 and Visa 4147 had the NPSL all other cards had the fixed credit limit. So even though a person may be issued a Master Card World or World Elite or Visa Signature there is no guarantee of a NPSL/Flexible Spend/Revolving Credit Line. Chase, US Bank and Barclays still do it ... can't speak for the other issuers. Oh, the $5,000 minimum credit limit approval for a World, World Elite Master Card or Visa Signature is gone too ... card issuers establish their own parameters today. Again in sorting throught the Citi Cards, the minimum qualifications for a Revolving Credit Line is all over the board.

Message 11 of 18
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

It looks like the major change is that most are dropping the requirement for fully paying balances in excess of the CL. I've checked BofA, WF, Citi, and Chase world and signature cards and none of them have that requirement.

My Chase siggy is listed on EQ and TU as a "flexible spend"  However, there is no requirement of the minimum payment to pay balances in excess of the CL and there is nothing I can find in the card T&Cs about NPSL. And this is evident in actual billing. I recently ran an experiment where I put about 10k over my CL and let it report. That statement, with a 27k balance, only required a minimum payment of a few hundred dollars.

I checked Citi, where I have a WEMC, and there is also no discussion of NPSL or minimum payments that include balances over CL.

If the special, over CL payment terms, have been eliminated then there is no real difference with a regular credit card that doesn't charge a penalty for over CL balances. They either approve a charge or not.

As an aside, my FICO score dropped from 800 to 730 when the over CL reported. It fully recovered to the usual the next month.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was curious, so I just checked.  My AA card is reporting as flexible spending.  (DC is not, though)

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cit likes to act like they're completely independent from the card networks. 

A WORLD or WORLD ELITE MasterCard is completely useless if it's from Citi Bank. There's a pre-set spending limit, and I've heard many of the world elite benefits don't exist. 

Additionally, Citi likes to rebrand everything into their own. Citi Masterpass, Citi Paypass (which doesn't exist in America anymore), Citi Rewind, etc. 

At least they're not as bad as Chase, even though Chase's Visa Siggy cards have NPSL. 

Message 14 of 18
galahad15
Valued Contributor

My Cap1 BuyPower WEMC is also still reporting for me as NPSL, and possibly still my BoA TR VS (not 100% sure about the latter though).  All of my other Citi, BoA, FNBO, etc. VS and WMC cards are no longer reporting NPSL.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called about my bb signature visa and citi told me they are eventually phasing out all over the limit spending on all their cards. Mine reports as no limit spending but I tried and the feature doesn't work. Yet another reason I'm not too fond of citi

Message 16 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

So I would guess that in general it was a rarely used feature, and that usage became somewhat correlated with risk  (people going over the limit then defaulting for example) so it is a fairly painless way for a bank to reduce risk with few complaints.   And people who regularly run up against the limit can be handled by the BAU CLI request processes.

The banks were more willing to do this (on non-sig/world cards) when they could charge profitable OTL fees.   Now that they can't, easier to start removing it (except perhaps on the most expensive cards)

Message 17 of 18
Berk
Established Contributor

Just checked my updated report today and Citi is still reporting my WEMC as flexible spend. Now, whether the feature is still available or not I couldn't tell you and I have no desire to try.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.