Regular Contributor
gymbo731

Citi Credit Card approval?

I am looking into applying for a Citi Bank CC. Has anyone been approved lately and can you lmk what your credit was like? I don't want to get denied a card and then be stick with a inquriry

Does anyone know CitiBank's standards? I don't have any negative items on my CR, but bc of the credit crunch, I still don't want to get denied. What is there min FICO score needed for a card?

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
keith021

Re: Citi Credit Card approval?

gymbo731 wrote:

I am looking into applying for a Citi Bank CC. Has anyone been approved lately and can you lmk what your credit was like? I don't want to get denied a card and then be stick with a inquriry

Does anyone know CitiBank's standards? I don't have any negative items on my CR, but bc of the credit crunch, I still don't want to get denied. What is there min FICO score needed for a card?

I'm not sure about their FICO score requirements, but I know that Citi doesn't like a lot of inquires. It's best to apply with them when you have 0 inquires on your report. I believe they use a internal scoring system instead of FICO scores.

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Established Member
LLinsure

About three weeks ago I got aproved for a Citi Aadvantage card with a $12K limit. All of my FICO's are around 700. I did have to send a pay stub, bank statement, and utility bill though. I am rebuilding and have a few negative items on the report but I cary no balances and have been clean for almost 2.5 years now. I do have quite a few inquiries in the past 6 months though (5 or so). My highest limit on any other card was $750 on a Cap 1. Good Luck!

Regular Contributor
gymbo731

I live in NY. Do you know what credit agency they pull? I would like to check my credit with that agency and see if there are any inquiries.

Regular Contributor
CHARGE_IT

gymbo731 wrote:
I live in NY. Do you know what credit agency they pull? I would like to check my credit with that agency and see if there are any inquiries.

Too many inquires are too many, no one can say how many a bank will or won't tolerate. I had five or six when approved by Citi for two cards at one application. They were spread over a year or more.

More importantly; banks do not like a lot of inquiries acquired in a short period of time; definitely six months, but maybe one year also. It's not really the number, it's the time period. I have gotten my best accounts with my worst inquiry numbers.

Good luck,

CI

Regular Contributor
blacklotus

I applied in 06/09 for the CITI Platinum select online- I never received "preselected" or "preapproval" letters from them. I had probably 5-7 inquiries when I did.  I got approved shortly thereafter for a 0% intro rate and a $3000 CL.  I don't know how many more months I am eligible for the 0% but it is still 0%.  BTW I had no other prime cards when I applied- which kind of shocked me when I got it.

As far as the quality of the card I would say it's excellent.  Caveat being that never miss a payment otherwise your APR goes up to almost 30%.  I also like the rewards system the card has except that you have to shop at certain airlines and merchants to use points.  

I must've not checked the website enough because I just found out on this forum what the "luv" button is a few days ago.  I went there as instructed and I was automatically approved for CLI of $1400 by just pressing a button.  I'm thinking that they probably offered me the button before but I never pressed it so the offer "expired"- lesson learned I will keep an eye on it.  Very easy CLI.  But my CL is now $4400.  

This is why I love this card. 

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Regular Contributor
gymbo731

you didn't happen to know your FICO score, did you?

Regular Contributor
blacklotus

I think they were around 700.

Regular Contributor
Thunderseven

blacklotus,

Do you recall which CRA they pulled their inquiry from?

Thunderseven.....TU 712 (08/21/2013) EQ 696 08/21/2013 EX 719 908/21/2013) All FICO's

I don't ask for much,
The truth will do just fine....

Regular Contributor
blacklotus

I just checked the "inquiry" tab of MyFico (this site) and they pulled Equifax.  This is suprising to me because I probably had a sub 700 score or it may have even been possibly 690 at that time.  Sorry I don't keep records of my scores that far back.

I noticed that my EQ scores are always a tad lower than TU. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+