Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Credit card denial

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Credit card denial

Yeah, they probably saw the NFCU 12k line and decided to give a CL higher.  Different card issuers have different attitudes.  I find Chase likes to beat whatever your highest credit line that is active looks like.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 11 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

So cli's with current creditors will be the only way to get over the 1K hump?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 21
Crashem
Valued Contributor

CLI are definitely one way.  As you progress, getting your credit lines up is one of the trickest things.  If you are actively trying to do it, it will go much faster.  Finding the right card issuer who is active with CLIs via soft pulls or auto CLIs helps.  AMEX is an example of a good card issuer when it comes to fast CLIs, but it requries you to be actively trying to get your line up.  Wells Fargo, I find, i good with auto CLIs if you actively use their cards.  Finding a card issuer who is aggressive with initial CLs is another way.  Best example of this is NFCU.  Chase is good with trying to match or beat your highest CL, but their ongoing CLI policy seems stunted.  As such, I don't consider Chase that useful for growing CLs and recommend it once you have some big CLs.  So you can wait for your existing cards to auto CLI or actively take them up via SP/HP.  I find credit unions helpful as their app process is typically more manual and assuming you have the income, you can ask for a lot higher CL than you have.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 13 of 21
swpopham
Established Contributor

So.... anyone ever use or have a good backdoor number?? Any recon luck with citi?
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 14 of 21
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

You should call their application status line first (1-888-201-4523), and there should be an option to speak with a rep. They may just need to verify some info (they did for me prior to approval). Good Luck!

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 15 of 21
swpopham
Established Contributor

Nope.. still said no, oh well 1 out of 3 this time around. Don't really need it just hate getting told Nope you suck. ;-)
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 16 of 21
learnin113
Established Contributor

15K Chase Freedom with 655 score?  Yeah right...

Message 17 of 21
2NE1
Established Contributor

OP, did Citi give you the reasons behind the denial? was it cause of the medical collections? which CB did they pull?
Message 18 of 21
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@learnin113 wrote:

15K Chase Freedom with 655 score?  Yeah right...

For all we know the OP has a pristine 20 years into a mortgage on a million dollar note with Chase.

Things we do know:

Former military

Retirement checks = nice steady income backed by the Federal goverment.

Mortgage with Chase = lots of useful data in terms of credit worthiness.

3 medical collections depressing the score, and I honestly don't know how underwriting looks at these compared to other collections.

You can build an monthly household expense profile pretty easily from a credit report especially when the applicant has a bunch of joint cards.  I'd be willing to bet that Chase did, and realized they're living within their budget... and if they've demonstrated capability to manage it, why not issue a 15K credit line?  Seems like a good bet to me, and it probably did to Chase as well.

Scores are only one piece of the equation, and when it comes to credit limits, arguably the least important thing.  655 is enough to obtain a Freedom, beyond that all bets are off for what the CL established is, and Crashem did point out Chase's typical behavior which seems to be supported by the anecdotal evidence on this forum.  

        
Message 19 of 21
Skins2311
Established Member

Is there another # that people with new applications can call in? I applied Friday and each time I call a rep tells me my application is still pending final review. I even asked for a supervisor and they said the exact same thing.

Starting Score: EQ 696 TU 709
Current Score: EQ 746 TU 742 as of 5/12 Ex. 732 as of 6/1/12 (Off EX. website)
Goal Score: 760 by 12/31/12

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.