Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC Balance Transfers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi DC Balance Transfers

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could explain something for me. Tried searching both here and the googles but to no avail.

How are payments allocated to the Citi DC when a BT is in the equation? For example, let's say I opened a Citi DC and did a $500 BT from another account to improve utilization. Then I put a couple of monthly bills on the card. Im aware that BT's don't earn cash back but at what point are payments allocated to the non-BT charges for the additional 1% cash back?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Citi DC Balance Transfers

Im no expert by no means im sure someone will come with the precise science but a couple things. Most dont recommend using a card with a BT for normal purchases. However, im thinking lets say you put 500 bucks bt on there. Perhaps wait to see what your minimum will be. Then if you put on monthly recuring bills, just make sure to pay the minimum on your BT and pif the monthly charges .
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I highly recommend that you don't use the card after a BT.  If you do, you will pay interest on the new purchases unless you pay off the new charge(s) along with the remainder of the BT balance.  This will erase any cash back you might earn.  This is straight from a Citi BT offer:

"Any use of this offer is a balance transfer. If you use this offer, interest will be charged on purchases made with your credit card in subsequent billing periods unless you pay the New Balance shown on your statement (including the amount of your balance transfer) in full by the payment due date each billing period, or those purchases have a 0% APR."

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I highly recommend that you don't use the card after a BT.  If you do, you will pay interest on the new purchases unless you pay off the new charge(s) along with the remainder of the BT balance.  This will erase any cash back you might earn.  This is straight from a Citi BT offer:

"Any use of this offer is a balance transfer. If you use this offer, interest will be charged on purchases made with your credit card in subsequent billing periods unless you pay the New Balance shown on your statement (including the amount of your balance transfer) in full by the payment due date each billing period, or those purchases have a 0% APR."

Much appreciated

Message 4 of 8
etstrong98
New Contributor

++ Don't do it

FICO EX 811, EQ 821, TU 826
Message 5 of 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Totally agree with others. BAD IDea!! However, if you have other CCs with both 0% BT and 0% Purchase, you're in the clear.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good thing I asked before doing anything.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Message 7 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wow i didnt know you had to pay your whole bt plus the new charges by next billing cycle. Yikes!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.