Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC Craziness

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi DC Craziness

On my 6mo mark I asked for a CLI and Citi DC doubled my limit.

Message 11 of 30
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So I applied again for what was probably the fifth or tenth time for a Citi DC card a few weeks ago. For whatever reason(s), Citi has never issued me a card, despite giant limits across the board on other lenders. Never have been prequalified. Never approved during various sprees over the last couple years when I've opened all the cards I have - that is to say, never approved when I had one card, 3 cards, 5 cards or more; no matter my credit profile or available limits, never approved, never a successful recon either, first citing not enough credit established to more recent the too many inquiries reason.

I think I may have mistyped my SSN on this particular application (I have been known to have an adult beverage and then apply for [all of my] cards). They sent me a letter asking to verify my identity and they have never done that on any previous application while still living at my current address: they asked for a copy of my driver's license, a credit card statement showing my address, and a utility bill or last year's tax return. I sent all of those things in.

Fast forward a week and I was indeed finally approved for my very first Citi card; however, sadly with a $3k limit (which means no visa siggy and virtually an unusable limit with regards to how I normally use my cards).

Because I sent in all that info, there was obviously a live person that approved it. No idea how they came up with that starting limit, though (the credit card statement I chose to send in was of a $25k limit card that showed $12k charged and $12k paid this previous month). If, on the other hand, these increases are too little and too late, you may have no other sensible option but to go for a HP CLI.

Here's my question - I've seen some threads about people getting their Citi cards in the mail and immediately asking for a CLI and sometimes getting them. For the people with whom this stragey worked, were you among those that were instantly approved initlally? Would I be a candidate to do this, considering they appear to dislike me in general and seem to have begrudgingly given me this card in the first place? Or is this going to be another "water the relationship and wait forever for it to grow" situation?

Couple comments:

1) Citi's Double Cash card is a MasterCard, not a Visa. The highest tier offered on the card is currently World Elite MasterCard. Luckily, Citi's been pretty lenient with who they've given Double Cash WEMCs to (I only got a $1700 initial limit with my DC, and mine was issued as a WEMC). 

2) I'm not sure if it makes a difference if the approvals are instant or not, but either way it'll a hard pull if you're asking for a CLI upon activation: is this worth it to you? These HP CLIs upon activation have been known to be pretty substantial if you can withstand the second HP, from what I've seen.

3) Citi generally allows for SP CLIs every 6 months. These SP CLIs are usually not enormous (usually between $1500-$2500, from what I've seen), but if you like to conserve your HPs, you always have this as an option.

I've been with them a year and a half and have never been offered a SP CLI.

And I've made around 4 or 5 HP requests which were turned down as well.

My credit limit today is what it was the day they opened the account....  $2600. And my FICO scores are significantly higher.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 12 of 30
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@jawbrkr wrote:

Exactly why I am hesitant to apply for any citi cards. The chance I may get a low starting CL. I am prequalified for at least 5 of their cards but refuse to pull the trigger.

Wise move IMHO.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 13 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Personally I would stop using more and more hard pulls on this product. You have already used several applying in the past. You can take another HP if you want a big CLI, but no guarantees of course. The SP CLIs are not a foregone conclusion or guarantee, but often become available after 6 months. That said, they tend to be modest increases -- it will take a long time for the limit to really grow this way.

Since the card offers no sign up bonus or upfront incentive, I hesitate to recommend using lots of pulls. I'd just use the card, pay it, and go for the SP CLI when it becomes available. Unless you want to make it your main card, I think using another HP at this moment may not be a great idea but YMMV.

I think most, if not all, DCs are being issued as WEMC at this point, at least logo wise. It's unclear what benefits you get, as some have reported it doesn't have all of the "real" WEMC benefits. My DC sits in a drawer but it does say WEMC -- but I haven't used the benefits so I wouldn't know what is or isn't available.

Message 14 of 30
redpat
Senior Contributor

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 15 of 30
amakol
Regular Contributor

A couple counters to offer data points that don't match others' experiences.

1. I don't understand the importance of a high SL, given that it's temporary. Citi has been very generous with CLIs for me (both SP and HP) to the point that my SL of $3k is now $17k after 2 years. I'm certainly happy I applied for the card and have that type of limit now.

2. Given their offering an EQ Bankcard FICO, I'd suspect Citi pulls Equifax everywhere. Personally, I would have zero use for EQ if it wasn't for Citi. I've actually taken HP CLIs on this card because my EQ file had 0 inquiries. I would be much more hands off if it was EX or TU. My point is, all HPs are not the same.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 16 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

On my 6mo mark I asked for a CLI and Citi DC doubled my limit.

So, what you're saying is, in two more months, I might get a whole $1000 CL?

I can hardly wait!!

Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 30
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

I'd recommend a hard pull for Citi if you want a decent limit. They doubled mine with a HP. I'm a fan of Citi if for no other reason they stand as one of the few lenders that will permanently lower your APR if you ask.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 18 of 30
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So I applied again for what was probably the fifth or tenth time for a Citi DC card a few weeks ago. For whatever reason(s), Citi has never issued me a card, despite giant limits across the board on other lenders. Never have been prequalified. Never approved during various sprees over the last couple years when I've opened all the cards I have - that is to say, never approved when I had one card, 3 cards, 5 cards or more; no matter my credit profile or available limits, never approved, never a successful recon either, first citing not enough credit established to more recent the too many inquiries reason.

I think I may have mistyped my SSN on this particular application (I have been known to have an adult beverage and then apply for [all of my] cards). They sent me a letter asking to verify my identity and they have never done that on any previous application while still living at my current address: they asked for a copy of my driver's license, a credit card statement showing my address, and a utility bill or last year's tax return. I sent all of those things in.

Fast forward a week and I was indeed finally approved for my very first Citi card; however, sadly with a $3k limit (which means no visa siggy and virtually an unusable limit with regards to how I normally use my cards).

Because I sent in all that info, there was obviously a live person that approved it. No idea how they came up with that starting limit, though (the credit card statement I chose to send in was of a $25k limit card that showed $12k charged and $12k paid this previous month). If, on the other hand, these increases are too little and too late, you may have no other sensible option but to go for a HP CLI.

Here's my question - I've seen some threads about people getting their Citi cards in the mail and immediately asking for a CLI and sometimes getting them. For the people with whom this stragey worked, were you among those that were instantly approved initlally? Would I be a candidate to do this, considering they appear to dislike me in general and seem to have begrudgingly given me this card in the first place? Or is this going to be another "water the relationship and wait forever for it to grow" situation?

Couple comments:

1) Citi's Double Cash card is a MasterCard, not a Visa. The highest tier offered on the card is currently World Elite MasterCard. Luckily, Citi's been pretty lenient with who they've given Double Cash WEMCs to (I only got a $1700 initial limit with my DC, and mine was issued as a WEMC). 

2) I'm not sure if it makes a difference if the approvals are instant or not, but either way it'll a hard pull if you're asking for a CLI upon activation: is this worth it to you? These HP CLIs upon activation have been known to be pretty substantial if you can withstand the second HP, from what I've seen.

3) Citi generally allows for SP CLIs every 6 months. These SP CLIs are usually not enormous (usually between $1500-$2500, from what I've seen), but if you like to conserve your HPs, you always have this as an option.

I've been with them a year and a half and have never been offered a SP CLI.

And I've made around 4 or 5 HP requests which were turned down as well.

My credit limit today is what it was the day they opened the account....  $2600. And my FICO scores are significantly higher.

+1. this is pretty much me as well with my AA now turned DC card. Although I was offered SP CLI here and there in the past but all resulted in a decline. Credit limit same as it was the day it was approved 2years ago but the compensating factor is my current APR they were gracious about lowering all the way to 5%.

Message 19 of 30
Involver
Valued Contributor

I would call their UW after receiving your card and ask for $25k.  It will be a HP but they generally are flexible with limits even with the low initial CLs.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.