Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi DC Questions

I'm considering the Citi DC for my non-category spend. Also in the running is Paypal.

Price Rewind seems to be an attractive perk. Who do they pull and are they usually generous? Are CLI's always SP, or are they HP with some SP offers?

Thanks all!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi DC Questions

They pulled EX for me, but I wasn't approved. My revolver history was 5-6months when I applied and they wanted to see a year of history.

Message 2 of 12
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm considering the Citi DC for my non-category spend. Also in the running is Paypal.

Price Rewind seems to be an attractive perk It is, last year I got $200 back on an iMac. Who do they pull and are they usually generous? Depends on the area you live, EX for me. Some people report limits around $2000, mine started at $9k. Are CLI's always SP, or are they HP with some SP offers? When requesting a CLI it will tell you if it's going to be a SP/HP.

Thanks all!

Edit: Also keep in mind that you have a $25 minimum redemption.

Message 3 of 12
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Price Rewind is very nice. I've gotten something around $40 back so far just from registering purchases.

For me they pull EQ and EX for a new card app and just EQ for a CLI HP. Rumor has it they will not approve of you have 6 inquiries in 6 months.

My DC starting limit was $4500 which is somewhat low compared to my other cards. I did get a CLI the day the card came in the mail up to $6000 but it was a hard pull which I kind of regret. If I'd waited a month or two I'd been able to get a SP. The CLI page will say if it's a SP or HP. Citi will auto reject any CLI within 6 months of the previous one (no HP).
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I could make a suggestion it would be to get the Citi Thank You Preferred, then after you had the card for a little while PC it to the Double Cash. I haven't checked to see if this is possible, but I don't see why not. The reason being the signup bonus. The DC doesn't have one and you'd need to spend $7500 just to breakeven on what you would get in the signup bonus for the Thank You Preferred. And that is not even considering the points you'd get back on the category spend on the card. I'd do some more research and look into this idea. 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the DC for my non category spend.

Before I got the card I read comments saying how Citi was stingy with DC limits. Mine started out at 2,000 and they gladly raised my limit to 6,000 even before I had my card for 6 months. It now sits at 9,000. All of my cli have been SP. Another perk was 12 months 0% Apr sign up.

Not a fan of the $25 redemption. Or the 1% now 1% later.
Message 6 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

As others have said, it often makes sense to get a Citi card with a signup bonus and convert it down the road to a Double Cash card, since DC has no bonus. If you aren't a huge spender, it would take a long time for DC to catch up, rewards wise.

If you don't pay in full before the statement comes you are looking at a month's lag in getting your second 1 percent. For some no big deal. To me personally it is not ideal, especially combined with a redemption threshold.
Message 7 of 12
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I don't know how the PayPal 2% card works, but the Citi Double Cash would have driven me crazy with its $25 minimum redemption and its 1% now 1% later routine.  Instead I got the PenFed Power Cash Rewards card where the full 2% posts immediately (you don't have to wait for a statement to cut), and you can redeem for $5, $10, $25, or $50.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 8 of 12
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Yeah the Citi purchase tracker shenanigans is a bit silly but I can live with it. I usually pay most of my balance before the statement date so I get effective 2% and I don't have to wait until the next statement. The minimum is $25 but I can redeem any granular amount above that, i.e. I can do $37.43 if I want.

To me the Amex BCE with its 2 statement wait and $25 quantum is way worse. As soon as I get my BCE cash rewards pool up to $50 I'm redeeming that and retiring that card.
Message 9 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Unless some 0% promo is very important, I definitely think it's best to get a good bonus and then PC to a card you'll keep long term. Along those lines, I PCed from AA Platinum to Costco.

There are good reasons to get a DC besides 2% cash (or nearly 2%, for people who take statement credits?), namely good price protections and extended warranties for a no-AF card. If rewards are the only reason, though...and it takes an agonizingly long time to earn $25...then they may be spreading their spend too thinly and just be better-off bonus hunting.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.