Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC locked and fraud

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi DC locked and fraud

@"'can't find it within a few hours then you call to report it. This was a very irresponsible move on your part. "

Hmm. I want to agree with you, but I just can't. I think  your suggestion in a smart one, and it's what I would do BUT the OP did exactly what CITI told him to do. I can't see how they or anyone else blames him for doing exactly what the issuer says to do.

Right on their website it describes this feature like this: "Misplaced it? Lock it." and "If you ever misplace your card, Quick Lock lets you instantly protect it without having to change your account number or go through the steps of ordering a new card. It buys you peace-of-mind and time to find your card. And when you find it, you can unlock it just as easily."

It seems like they intended that feature for EXACTLY his situation -- you don't want the hassle of cancelling your card because you figure you might find it. But you aren't sure, so you lock it until you know. That seems to be exactly how they are advertising this feature.

So I think if you want to criticize anyone here it's CITI -- if you think it's irresponsible not to call in when a card is misplaced, then you ought to be writing CITI to let them know they are telling their customers to be irresponsible. However.. CITI is still entirely on the hook for any fraud so I guess if they're OK with it...

Message 11 of 13
Samac
Regular Contributor

So I just logged on and looked back at the card. The charge is gone. No longer pending or posted. I'm really not sure what happened here, but I am still going to call them and ask to send a new card with a change in account number. 

I really appreciate the the advice here, and I get that I should have cancelled the card when I thought it was lost. I really did think it was around my apartment somewhere. I'm a student and often move that card between my pants pocket. I assumed I just left the card and would find it when I did laundry which I just did Monday and didn't happen to find it. My bad. 

Message 12 of 13
alkaline
Regular Contributor

@Samac wrote:

So I just logged on and looked back at the card. The charge is gone. No longer pending or posted. I'm really not sure what happened here, but I am still going to call them and ask to send a new card with a change in account number.

Good plan.

A while back I had a $1 authorization for Uber show up on my BCE. I've never used Uber, never made an account with them so I know it wasn't me. I called in and they said it had already been reversed so I shouldn't worry about it. I insisted they cancel my card and send me a new one with a new number. A month or two later, I received a letter from Amex telling me that a merchant I had used the card at was compromised.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.