Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC locked and fraud

tag
Samac
Regular Contributor

Citi DC locked and fraud

So last week I had exams and managed to misplace my citi DC card. I was pretty sure it was in a jean pocket in my overflowing laundry hamper so I just locked the card to be safe incase I didn't find it. I haven't been overly concerned about it because it's locked.
When the card is locked they'll still allow recurrent charges to go through such as Netflix. But since DC is my everyday driver I have my recurrent charges sprinkled throughout my other cards so I wasn't concerned about that. I didn't find it when I did laundry and have been meaning to call them, I was pretty sure it could be elsewhere in my things.

I just received an email that they've approved a NEW recurrent charge and it's under my pending charges.
So I call Customer Service to let them know and he said its pending so there's nothing they can do. I said I understand, but I'd like to get a new account number and card. He told me no and to wait. I'm just frustrated that they would let a brand new charge onto the locked account because it was set up as a recurring charge. 

edit: the charge is no longer on my account as pending nor posted. I'm not sure what happened but I'm going to request a new account number just in case it wasn't some weird anomaly. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi DC locked and fraud

So the new recurrent charge, culture fly, is not your charge?  I would be glad its not your debit card, but still frustrating nonetheless as I'm sure the majority of us rely on the DC heavily for general spend.....

Message 2 of 13
Samac
Regular Contributor

Apparently any charge can be put onto the account if the merchant lists it as a recurrent charge. So if someone puts Netflix on the card then they'll approve it. It's a really weird system.

It's also possible that it was put on the card as a recurrent charge before I locked it and the charge happens a certain time of the month every month.

He also said its possible it's a mistake and on the wrong account which is why he didn't want to go on and start the appeal process.
Message 3 of 13
Samac
Regular Contributor

But if culture fly is my charge I've went back through 3 months of charges and nothing I've bought is labeled with that.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Samac wrote:
Apparently any charge can be put onto the account if the merchant lists it as a recurrent charge. So if someone puts Netflix on the card then they'll approve it. It's a really weird system.

It's also possible that it was put on the card as a recurrent charge before I locked it and the charge happens a certain time of the month every month.

He also said its possible it's a mistake and on the wrong account which is why he didn't want to go on and start the appeal process.

so its not your charge?

Message 5 of 13
Samac
Regular Contributor

I have nothing in the history of that card with the same company. I guess I just wait now and see if it posts and take it from there?
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had been considering a DC but not if this is how they handle a hairy situation...
Message 7 of 13
Samac
Regular Contributor

Cheesepuff I still love the card. I'm guessing there's just nothing they can do at the moment while it's still a pending charge. I'll post an update tomorrow.
Message 8 of 13
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Let things play out and then dispute it if its truly not your change .

but for future reference. Never sit on the idea of your your card may or may be lost. once you realize it's missing , look for it and if you 

can't find it within a few hours then you call to report it. This was a very irresponsible move on your part. 

Now how do you think this sounds/seems to them. "Oh, our client knew their card was missing/lost but didn't bother to tell us until a charge pops up

and now all of a sudden want to say something " ..... not a very good look on your part. They have every right to not dispute the charge, because you

admitted to knowing your card was missing but fail to report it in a timely fashion (until a charge pops up ) . 

Good luck to you and consider this a lesson learned .

Message 9 of 13
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

I've dealt with Citi's fraud department before for the DC. I remember being irritated because they flagged all the wrong charges and let all the fake ones through and blocked my real ones. As I recall it was a weekend and my card got declined at a restaurant (not a big deal, I just used another one). Then I got an automated fraud alert about that restaurant so I said it was real. It was weird because it was somewhere I had used their card before so it should have been in the history. I just thought it was a weird glitch but then that evening I tried to use at a CVS or something and got declined again - even though once again that was a normal purchase for me to be making. So I logged on and sure enough there were 5 or 6 completely random, fraudulent charges on my account for merchants I had never once spent money with. It was so maddening that they let those through but blocked my valid purchases.

Anyway, that aside I didn't have any trouble getting reimbursed.

I'd say when you call back just say it isn't your charge and don't bring up the lock/missing card at all. They probably will ask, but if they do just say something like, "That's right. I called right away to have it locked. I don't understand why this charge went through in the first place with it locked." And they'll probably tell you you should have reported it lost or stolen instead of just locking it, but apologize and say you didn't know.that and thought the lock was sufficient. I doubt they'll hold it against you since it was just an innocent mistake and at least you did take some action as soon as you realized there might have been problem. Now you'll know for the next time.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.