Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC or CapOne QS?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi DC or CapOne QS?

I currently have the QS as stated in my signature, but have started to think about getting into the Citi DC. The QS was one of my first cards and I hadn't done a lot of extensive "research" into the DC. I had found some "debates" on the two, with most people's complaints seeming to be the way the cashback is accumulated on the DC. That wouldn't be a major cause for concern for me.

The "price rewind" is primarily what draws me to look into the DC, but wanted to get some more feedback on experiences with the functionality of Citi's webpages, mobile apps, and obviously the card benefits/drawbacks. I was just wanting to get some other peoples' (updated) reasons for liking one over the other, if they have a preference. I know there were some threads on this already, but many of them seem to be fairly dated.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi DC or CapOne QS?

I do not have the DC card, but I do know a few of the standout differences between the cards that have been discussed quite often. 1. Your earnings on the DC do not post until your statement cuts. Cap One gives them to you normally within a day or two. DC has a 3% foreign transaction fee. Cap One has none. Also, you do not earn the extra 1% until your balance is paid. Other than that, 2% certainly trumps 1.5% albeit not by much.

Message 2 of 15
Kforce
Valued Contributor

I only have the Citi-DC and some of the following views are

from others. the ones that have an "*" are my experience.

The Good
* 2% Unlimited cash back, all purchases.
* Price protection (Citi Price Rewind).
* Ability to pay on the statement date and have it credit "NOW", allowing full control of how much is left on the statement.
* I had fraud on my card and they did a rush delivery of new card (No Charge).
* Only 25$ redemption threshold.

The Bad

FTF (Not a factor for me)
  Front-line customer service agents are from a foreign country (Did not have a problem when the card had fraud)
* Starting Limits are lower than average for most people. (This was true for me)
* Minimum 6 months between soft pull CL increases, and CL Increases are lower than many other providers
  APRs are high (PIF)
  If you want to get a Direct Deposit for your cash back, you need to establish history (and continue history)
  by making payment from your bank account via Citi's web page (and not through your bank's bill pay).

The Other:
* If you PIF before the statement cuts, you get the whole 2% at once, rather than 1% one month and 1% the next. (True)

Message 3 of 15
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I have both.  And if I were going to choose to keep only one I would choose the QS.  I've had issues with Citi almost since I got the card.  Redemption minimums and the way it posts are both inferior to CapOne.  But it is a WEMC, Price rewind is pretty cool and it instant credits your account when you make a payment.  On $1,000 spend you're talking a difference of $5.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have both.  Citi Dc is great but nothing posts til end of cycle as far a points. I love the instant points from C1.  Yes Citi Dc does start with low but not terrible limits.    The Citi virtual numbers are a plus.  I never tried price rewind.  It really rdepend on what factors you are looking for 1) Cash back %  2) Instant points  posting 3) Higher staring limit 

4) No FTF

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I decided to pull the trigger. I 100% agree with the low SLs of Citi DC (1,500). My CapOne and BCP started at 10,000 and my Marvel started at 12,000.

Message 6 of 15
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

Since you've already pulled the trigger, this is mostly for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread. A great advantage of the Citi DC besides Price Rewind is that it extends manufacturer warranties by 24 months. I think this is common to most/all Citi cards and thus not just the DC, but it's worth bringing up when comparing it to the Quicksilver.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the new card.

I've heard many PC into DC as it doesn't have sign up bonus anyways (which I did not think of when applying directly for DC back them =()

Citi's CSR and website are both kind of a pain to use but I'm not closing the no AF card just because of these.

Also in terms of CB potential there are some new developments which could surpass 2%:

JCB Marukai card at 3% if you could put up with a suppsedly more painful experience and limited acceptance and are from one of the states that card is offered in.

CFU with CSR's 1.5x boost is 2.25% but only for travel booked in their portal. 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. Citi is known to start off with low limits. My DC started at 2,000. But I was able to cli it to 6,000 in 30 days. 

Message 9 of 15
Chris679
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not have the DC card, but I do know a few of the standout differences between the cards that have been discussed quite often. 1. Your earnings on the DC do not post until your statement cuts. Cap One gives them to you normally within a day or two. DC has a 3% foreign transaction fee. Cap One has none. Also, you do not earn the extra 1% until your balance is paid. Other than that, 2% certainly trumps 1.5% albeit not by much.

33% more cash back with DC vs QS.  If you are like me and you want to keep things simple and not rotate a bunch of rewards card then DC is the way to go.  I think Citi gets a bad rap at times here.  Forward and DC have been my go to cards for years and I have found their service to be solid, maybe a step below Amex and Discover.  I think with a lot of these companies the service you get can be directly related to the money you run through their cards and I don't think you can really fault them for that. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.