Lowes-$10K
CareCredit -$2k
VS-$1k
Wayfair-$2k
Home Depot CBNA-$3500

4-7 inquiries in past 24 mos

719 scores on all 3 bureaus

No collections
Only 1x30 Derog from 3/16 on one student loan account--Consolidated right after to avoid that mistake again! Lol

AAOA-4yrs

I am all for cash back but Discover accumulates very slowly and Cap1 is not giving me an high enough limit to do anything with. I had a charge off with them in the past. I have since then paid it off (2015) but they are being super conservative with CL. (Understandably) Which bank has best shot for approval? Highest SL? Which bank is typically more conservative? Which card grows the best? I'm ready to put Cap1 in the sock drawer! It was great for rebuilding but it's time to cut ties since they won't up the limit. Thoughts?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi DC or Chase Freedom Unlimited

While some people do get favorable SLs with Citi DC, most people typically start fairly low. Im not sure how giving they are with their CLIs. However, I dont think the Unlimited is too much better. Out of those 4-7 inquiries how many are new accounts? Chase is difficult but not impossible to get an approval from if you've exceeded the "5/24" rule. I think you're in a decent spot to get approved. They may question that charge off since it was barely a year ago. As long as the rest of your accounts and payment history are up to snuff you should be fine. Between the two cards you listed it comes down to preference. If you have no intentions of eventually adding on a CSP/R card, then I would hands down go with the DC. .02 trumps .015 everytime. Something else to consider, the Cap One card you started with wasn't exactly a "premium" card of theirs. The best way to get a fat limit with them is to reapply if you're in good standing. For example: I applied for a Ventureone a year and a half ago. Approved for 3k. Applied for a Ventureone again roughly 7 months ago and was approved for 10k. YMMV

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened FU and DC same day.

FU: $4,200

DC: $1,000

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe the DC tends to start you with a low limit but imo I think it would probably grow more than the unlimited. I was able to get a cli increase on my DC before 30 days. I only have the amazon card with Chase but it's currently my lowest limit card stuck @ 1,000
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Citi Dc card. The only reason it does not get more use is the limit. Starts very low I will be asking for a cli in another month or so. I don't have a Chase card yet as awaiting 5/24. The 5/24 and some other posts about Chase had me spooked but am planning on replacing our Spark card with Chase Ink 

Message 5 of 9
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

Citi started me with a lower limit but I have been able to get a soft pull increase of at least $1000 every 6 months.

Chase started me with a higher limit but no increase yet.

Both cards are pushing by 5 years old.

DC Is far more versatile with 2% cashback but FU can potentially win out if you want to save your UR points for a Sapphire Preferred or Reserve card. FU also has a $150-300 sign up bonus and 0% APR for 15 months whereas DC only has a 0% balance transfer option.
Message 6 of 9
colinstu
Regular Contributor

Citi opened a DC for me for $3300 (or 3400?). Later I increased it to $6k. 

Citi and Chase have both always been good about their CLs with me. A normal freedom card I opened before the DC also had a 3-4k CL. 

I'd pick the DC over the FU. 2% > 1.5%. 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 7 of 9
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

If you're solely interested in cashback, then the DC makes more sense for you. However, if you're invested in the UR system and carry the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve, maybe the FU makes more sense. You can transfer  the points you earn from the FU to one of those cards and then redeem for at least 1.25 (1.5 for reserve) cents per point, making your return > 2%. Also one thing I kind of dislike with the DC is how you don't get your 2% immediately but only after paying AND when the statement closes with those payments.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

DC has no signup bonus. FU has $150 (Or $300 in-branch if you're lucky).

To make up $150 at the 0.5% difference you would have to spend $30k. If you get the targeted offer you'd have the spend $60k. Woah.

If you see yourself spending that kind of money, get the DC. Otherwise, get the FU.

You could also get the Discover Miles for 1.5% with first-year match (assuming you're eligable on the age of your other Disco). Probably not what you want, but something to keep in mind.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.