Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi DC

BrutalBodyShots in reading on this board it seems Citi starts with low CLs on the DC and then people call in and seek higher credit limits and it works. My observations only out of the shoot $2K to $3.5K then they call in and move the limit to $5 - $10K+. Note, totally illogical to me they take a second HP to move the limit up. Now when you figure people just opened the card why would they need a second HP? I know don't use logic.
Message 31 of 46
Gmood1
Super Contributor

It took a year for me to get my first SP increase out of them on the Citi DC. SL was $3000, SP CLI was $1400. Immediately after the SP increase, I submitted a HP request to $20,000. To my surprise, they gave it to me. I've had one more SP CLI since then.
What I've learned, if you're ​going to ask for a HP CLI. Initiate it atleast 180 days after your last increase or do it the same day after opening the card or same day after receiving a SP CLI.

If you wait too long after the SP, before submitting the HP increase. You will be denied and told you already had an​ increase in the last six months.

As always YMMV, this is IME so far. SP increases since have come like clockwork after the 180 days mark. I'll try for my next SP CLI at the end of next month.

They also seem very sensitive of new accounts. Try to keep the new accounts to a minimum 3 to 6 months prior to asking, if you want any kind of increase out of them.
Message 32 of 46
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Gmood1 wrote:
It took a year for me to get my first SP increase out of them on the Citi DC. SL was $3000, SP CLI was $1400. Immediately after the SP increase, I submitted a HP request to $20,000. To my surprise, they gave it to me. I've had one more SP CLI since then.
What I've learned, if you're ​going to ask for a HP CLI. Initiate it atleast 180 days after your last increase or do it the same day after opening the card or same day after receiving a SP CLI.

If you wait too long after the SP, before submitting the HP increase. You will be denied and told you already had an​ increase in the last six months.

As always YMMV, this is IME so far. SP increases since have come like clockwork after the 180 days mark. I'll try for my next SP CLI at the end of next month.

They also seem very sensitive of new accounts. Try to keep the new accounts to a minimum 3 to 6 months prior to asking, if you want any kind of increase out of them.

The part in blue happened to me.

I got a SP CLI on my Diamond Preferred back in mid-December.  After my 'spree' in January I figured one more HP wouldn't hurt, so I tried again with Citi and was denied due to not waiting six months (they wouldn't even give the option for a HP).

In mid-June when I'm eligible again I'll have to decide beforehand if I want to take a HP in the event that the SP increase isn't generous enough (honesly I only expect a modest SP CLI, if they give me one at all).  I'm thinking I might ask for $10k and let the cards fall where thay may, but I still have a while to consider it.  I consider $10k my personal 'sweet spot' for credit lines (my spending is modest), although I have a few cards with limits that are higher.

Message 33 of 46
Kforce
Valued Contributor

My initial Citi-DC credit line was about 1/2 my average credit line of 15-K

I use it, PIF, and use the soft-pull when the language on the increase screen is correct,

and at least 6 months has passed since last increase. I have received 4 increases

over the last 2.5 years. January this year I reached 15,800.

This is all I need for my spend and will stop requesting.

It would have been nice if they just started with where we are now, however it

did get there. Be patient and play the game and I believe you will be OK

Message 34 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
BrutalBodyShots in reading on this board it seems Citi starts with low CLs on the DC and then people call in and seek higher credit limits and it works. My observations only out of the shoot $2K to $3.5K then they call in and move the limit to $5 - $10K+. Note, totally illogical to me they take a second HP to move the limit up. Now when you figure people just opened the card why would they need a second HP? I know don't use logic.

Well, to some a second HP is irrelevant.  There are plenty of creditors that do double-pulls initially when applying.  Chase commonly does.  Capital One pulls all 3B when you apply.  If you apply and only get 1 pull from Citi and call to raise your SL with another pull, the second pull will be from another bureau so it's not like you're doubling up on pulls from the same bureau.  Inquiries are the least impacting of all scoring ingredients IMO, so taking on 1 more pull if it's going to make the difference between a card being of moderate use to the cardholder verses an extremely useful card that you're happy with, I'd say take the pull.

Message 35 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:
It took a year for me to get my first SP increase out of them on the Citi DC. SL was $3000, SP CLI was $1400. Immediately after the SP increase, I submitted a HP request to $20,000. To my surprise, they gave it to me.

That's quite an increase in going from $4400 to $20,000!  Would you mind sharing any of your profile data such as your scores, income, or anything else you think was relevant in them giving you such a large increase with that HP?  I have a feeling that if I apply I may end up having to go the extra HP route, but have no idea what I'd ask for.  Is Citi like Amex in that you should shoot for the moon (higher than you actually want) and they'll counter you with the best they can do?

Message 36 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:
It took a year for me to get my first SP increase out of them on the Citi DC. SL was $3000, SP CLI was $1400. Immediately after the SP increase, I submitted a HP request to $20,000. To my surprise, they gave it to me.

That's quite an increase in going from $4400 to $20,000!  Would you mind sharing any of your profile data such as your scores, income, or anything else you think was relevant in them giving you such a large increase with that HP?  I have a feeling that if I apply I may end up having to go the extra HP route, but have no idea what I'd ask for.  Is Citi like Amex in that you should shoot for the moon (higher than you actually want) and they'll counter you with the best they can do?

That's what I had done immediately when I received my card. I had a $1,500 SL and requested $10,000 to try getting it up to par with the rest of my cards, and they gave me a total CL of $5,000 as a counter.

Message 37 of 46
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

Actually it was from $3000 to $20,000.lol

I did the HP right after the SP and the system told me if I wanted more to submit a HP.

Household income stated on that app was $100,000.

My EX was in the​ 750ish range. I had a lot of new accounts in the year up to apping but had slowed down a few months prior to asking Citi for the increase. TCL before the app was around $330,000.

Shoot for the stars! Ask for what you want. They'll either give it to you or give a counter offer. You're burning an inquiry. Might as well get something out of it. 😉

Message 38 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's what I had done immediately when I received my card. I had a $1,500 SL and requested $10,000 to try getting it up to par with the rest of my cards, and they gave me a total CL of $5,000 as a counter.

Gotcha.  I apologize if I've asked you this previously, but which bureau were you pulled on for the initial application and which for the CLI request when you called in after?

Message 39 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

Actually it was from $3000 to $20,000.lol

I did the HP right after the SP and the system told me if I wanted more to submit a HP.

Household income stated on that app was $100,000.

My EX was in the​ 750ish range. I had a lot of new accounts in the year up to apping but had slowed down a few months prior to asking Citi for the increase. TCL before the app was around $330,000.

Shoot for the stars! Ask for what you want. They'll either give it to you or give a counter offer. You're burning an inquiry. Might as well get something out of it. 😉

Even more impressive, LOL.  Thanks for the profile data.  Was the DC your only Citi card at that time, or did you have other exposure with them that comprised some of that TCL?  I'm also curious if prior Citi accounts (relationship) has any bearing on future accounts.  Is Citi known to ever request IV the way Amex does, for example?

Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.