Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DP questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi DP questions

I accidently apped for the Citi DP during an app spree.  I got caught up in the 21mo at 0% intro when I forgot I was going to choose something else since Citi was known for small SL. My SL is $500.(Why give the best advertised APR, 13.24%, then give such a tiny limit?)  I'm annoyed that I can't really use it for it's great intro offer. Is it possible for a CLI inside the 4 months that the BT offer is in effect?  I already tried getting a CLI when the card arrived, but they denied it. Is this card good for anything besides BT? Do they have 0% promotions down the road if I hang onto the card and build up the CL like I've heard about Discover doing?

My next question, can Citi DP be PC to something more useful? Are there perks with this card that I'm missing? Do they combine cards at Citi? If I got a DC card in 6 months or so, could I eventually combine them? I don't really need another rewards card, but it feels like a waste to use this card for much as is. My current plan is to stick Netflix on it since that small amount wouldn't garner many rewards anyway. Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi DP questions

I'm not educated in their PC policies, as I'm a fairly new Citi customer myself.

But, I was approved with an SL of $1,500 on my Citi DC... then immediately applied for a CLI the day I received the card and setup my online account. It was a hard pull, but it pushed me up to a 5,000 CL. Not sure what you are looking for in terms of a CL "usable" for your BTs.... but if your profile supports it, I'd say there is probably good chances you can increase it rather quickly if you are okay with and willing to take the hard pull for it.

Not the subject of this thread, but that also worked with my Marvel card. I was approved with an initial SL of 3,000.... took the HP for a CLI upon approval (marvel lets you view your account instantly, without having the card in your possession) and they gave me a 12,000 CL (which is what I requested... who knows, could've gone higher???) even though people here seem to report being told that online CLIs through Marvel cap-out at 10k, and to go higher you need to call their credit support.

YMMV, but I personally believe you can jump it up a bit if you are willing to take the HP for it, just not sure how much more it would be.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

As the poster above me said, you may request a CLI when you call in to activate. It will cost a HP but it would be worth it for the chance at a higher credit line to actually transfer a balance. 

The Diamond Preferred can be PC'ed into other products; however, they may make you wait until the intro APR expires. 

Message 3 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

Diamond Preferred recently revamped their Discounts program, Citi EasyDeals. You get online coupons for restaurants which can be 10% off, or second entree free up to a limit like $9 or $20 depending on the restaurant. The range of restaurants is pretty good, so it cuts the cost of trying new places. There are also gift cards available.

The balance transfers show up like all Citi cards.

Mine started at $1,000 limit in 2012, got an increase to $1,500 mid-2016 then recently up to $2,250.

In years past there have been several 5% back offers on up to $500 spend. 

I keep it around because it has provided some good savings over the years. Now getting a decent limit, though there is something endearing about a puppy limit like $1,000 or $500 Smiley Happy

I got two mailer offers in 2016 to PC to Double Cash, but I like the lumper rewards I've seen with the Diamond Preferred.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Citi typically requires at least a year of card membership before entertaining the idea of a PC. After that they are usually fairly flexible about it, so if you keep it open that long it is not going to be an issue.

Some people have had to wait until the 0% promo ends (i.e. beyond a year); YMMV.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not educated in their PC policies, as I'm a fairly new Citi customer myself.

But, I was approved with an SL of $1,500 on my Citi DC... then immediately applied for a CLI the day I received the card and setup my online account. It was a hard pull, but it pushed me up to a 5,000 CL. Not sure what you are looking for in terms of a CL "usable" for your BTs.... but if your profile supports it, I'd say there is probably good chances you can increase it rather quickly if you are okay with and willing to take the hard pull for it.

Citi pulled both EQ and EX to give me that $500, so I'm not willing to do an additional HP and have them still leave it too low for a BT. I tried a SP, no go. Thanks for your reply.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

Diamond Preferred recently revamped their Discounts program, Citi EasyDeals. You get online coupons for restaurants which can be 10% off, or second entree free up to a limit like $9 or $20 depending on the restaurant. The range of restaurants is pretty good, so it cuts the cost of trying new places. There are also gift cards available.

The balance transfers show up like all Citi cards.

Mine started at $1,000 limit in 2012, got an increase to $1,500 mid-2016 then recently up to $2,250.

In years past there have been several 5% back offers on up to $500 spend. 

I keep it around because it has provided some good savings over the years. Now getting a decent limit, though there is something endearing about a puppy limit like $1,000 or $500 Smiley Happy

I got two mailer offers in 2016 to PC to Double Cash, but I like the lumper rewards I've seen with the Diamond Preferred.

Thank you.  I will search around the website some more to see what offers I can find.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.