Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Denial Reason, Hard to Believe ?!@#$%^&*

tag
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

Citi Denial Reason, Hard to Believe ?!@#$%^&*

My FICO is around 800.

Applied for Citi Card an hour ago, received message: "we received your application".

Called backdoor number and was told: Denied.

Reason: all your revolving accounts show $0, that tells us you are not actively using your credit cards. BS

I could not believe what he was telling me. I am using all 8 CC's actively but this month I paid them off before the statement closing day so that when it reports to credit bureaus it does not show any balance. It was my intention that when I apply for Citi card all my revolvers show $0 balance. Guess what: it worked against me, Citi did not like it. Unbelievable...

Anyone else received this bogus reason for denial ??? I don't think I will ever again apply for Citi card...

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Denial Reason, Hard to Believe ?!@#$%^&*

Ha, that's pretty funny actually.

If that's the only reason, just let one or two cards report less than 10% that month. They'd probably approve you, then.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 2 of 43
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

That is bogus.  It's probably good to let a card report 10% of the limit.  I've applied for cards with 2 or 3 cards reporting balances and have been approved.  Good job of managing your credit.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 3 of 43
akabigo
Contributor

That stinks. I was approved last month with an 800+ score but I had $12 showing on my Freedom. Other 12 accounts at 0. Many havent had balances in months. Maybe having at least one balance is key :-/
Fico scores 800+
Message 4 of 43
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear, that is a crazy reason for denial. I know they don't have the best recon dept, but I would try calling back.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 5 of 43
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

I applied online and immediatelly after receiving: "we received your application" called the status line (backdoor number). He goes to tell me that decision was made by underwriter. Nooooooooooooooooo way.

I know it was computer system made. They set up their system so that if applicant has all revolvers at $0 it automatically gets denied because they believe such customer is not using credit cards actively which in many cases actually gives them the wrong picture of the customer since many of us are waiting until we pay off our balances before we apply for new credit.

Message 6 of 43
greenpang
Contributor

WOW!

Concrete evidence to support everyone's reasoning for saying, "Pay all of them down to $0, except one, and let that report 2-9%."

Credit Scores: FICOs: TU 721 | Plus FAKOs: EX 726, EQ 739, TU 735 | CK FAKOs: Transrisk 689, Vantage 790
My Wallet: Amex Green (NPSL) | Amex SPG (21.6K) | Citi ThankYou Preferred (10.5K) | Amex BCE (8K) | US Air Premier MC (9.5K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (8.5K) | Chase Freedom (5K) | Barclays Arrival (5K) | Pier 1 (2.5K) | Express (0.8K) | Kohl's (0.5K)
DH's Wallet (AU): Amex PRG (NPSL) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (26.2K) | Amex Delta (22.5K) | Barclays Arrival (12.8K) | CareCredit (8K) | Amex BCE (7.5K) | Chase Freedom (7K) | Sears Citi (6K) | Victoria's Secret (1K)
Message 7 of 43
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

@Epcot wrote:
Sorry to hear, that is a crazy reason for denial. I know they don't have the best recon dept, but I would try calling back.

He said I will receive the letter in the mail and that I am welcomed to send them the updated report in the mail. I have asked what kind of report they would like to see and he says the one that shows some balances on revolver accounts. I still can't believe it. Why they then use Experian report which shows balance history in detail 24 months back if they automatically deny for not having any balance at the time of application ??? They can clearly see that I was using my revolver accounts.

Funny thing is I was waiting for Experian to update my last revolver to show $0 balance today. I have checked my report like 10 times in the morning and early afternoon until it finally got updated to last revolver to show $0 balance. Then I applied.

Message 8 of 43
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@Platinum wrote:

My FICO is around 800.

Applied for Citi Card an hour ago, received message: "we received your application".

Called backdoor number and was told: Denied.

Reason: all your revolving accounts show $0, that tells us you are not actively using your credit cards. BS

I could not believe what he was telling me. I am using all 8 CC's actively but this month I paid them off before the statement closing day so that when it reports to credit bureaus it does not show any balance. It was my intention that when I apply for Citi card all my revolvers show $0 balance. Guess what: it worked against me, Citi did not like it. Unbelievable...

Anyone else received this bogus reason for denial ??? I don't think I will ever again apply for Citi card...

If the card is important/worth it to you I would call the executive office (I'll pm you the info if you want) Tell them the reason for the denial and if needed offer to fax them a statement from one of the cards and that you were using them but wanted to show them as Paid in Full. Good Luck!

Message 9 of 43
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

@greenpang wrote:

WOW!

Concrete evidence to support everyone's reasoning for saying, "Pay all of them down to $0, except one, and let that report 2-9%."

Exactly. Except for Citi.

CITI DENIES IF YOU SHOW NO BALANCES...

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.