Did you mean: 

Citi Denial Reason, Hard to Believe ?!@#$%^&*

tag
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi Denial Reason, Hard to Believe ?!@#$%^&*

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Platinum wrote:

It's Citi AT&T Universal which gives you 10% off (rebate) on your AT&T purchases for the first 12 months, 5% thereafter. Since my AT&T iPhone bill goes to up to $200 monthly I was gonna save like $20 per month and that was the main reason why I applied. In general I do not need more credit. I have more then $200.000 in available credit on my other cards.

It is actually 5% the first year and 2.5% the second year. I'll explain.

To get AT&T rebate, you must do match spending on other purchases. That means to get rebate on $200 AT&T monthly bill, I need to also spend $200 worth of non-AT&T related expenses monthly.

I just closed this card. Match spending sucks.

If that was the case then I don't want this card. Oh well...wasted inquiry.

Message 31 of 43
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:
I remember a post a while back that said the reports that lenders get do not have that history that EX shows. That seems unlikely to me, but I wonder if anyone else knows if that is something that lenders see or if that is only something an individual sees, kind of like soft pulls.

It depends on what type of report the lender is purchasing. A common mortgage report would include all information on all 3 bureaus, and would only show current balances, previous payment, credit limit, etc.  Not past information (Except payment histories as OK or not). But, credit card reports are most likely very different given that only one bureau is pulled, and my assumption would be that some lenders may be able to see that previous information, and some may not. I'm sure it is more expensive to get more information, so some lenders may skip that. 

I always say though, if something is on your credit report, just assume your lender will see it. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 32 of 43
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

Well, I called Citi Exec. Office yesterday. I asked first responder if they were aware that their computer system automatically denies applicants with perfect credit just because they have no balances reported on their revolving accounts at the time of the application. Of course, she had no clue. Then I was transferred to the Executive level with their credit card division. The other lady was as cold as ice too. She had no clue either what their system does when decisioning the applications but she offered someone to take another look and call me back in few days. I said fine but please do not pull another report. I said if you don't like what you see on my report from 12/28/2012 then I really do not want your card. Will see. 

Message 33 of 43
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Platinum wrote:

Well, I called Citi Exec. Office yesterday. I asked first responder if they were aware that their computer system automatically denies applicants with perfect credit just because they have no balances reported on their revolving accounts at the time of the application. Of course, she had no clue. Then I was transferred to the Executive level with their credit card division. The other lady was as cold as ice too. She had no clue either what their system does when decisioning the applications but she offered someone to take another look and call me back in few days. I said fine but please do not pull another report. I said if you don't like what you see on my report from 12/28/2012 then I really do not want your card. Will see. 

Good luck... please keep us updated.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 34 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's odd that you had that experience.  I JUST applied for a Citi Hilton Reserve card and was approved without an issue.  809 score and  the only revoling credit line I had at app time was a small credit card with a $1000 limit that I paid off and hadn't touched in months.  So clearly there must have been more factor going into the decision someplace.

Message 35 of 43
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's odd that you had that experience.  I JUST applied for a Citi Hilton Reserve card and was approved without an issue.  809 score and  the only revoling credit line I had at app time was a small credit card with a $1000 limit that I paid off and hadn't touched in months.  So clearly there must have been more factor going into the decision someplace.

I was waiting for the letter in the mail before I called. The letter states only one reason for denial:

"Your credit bureau report shows you have no revolving accounts with a balance."

Message 36 of 43
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

This leads me to one conclusion only: Citi wants us to carry the balances before they make an approval. It does not matter for them that I actually have carried the balances the month before and I paid them off.

Message 37 of 43
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

Message 38 of 43
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Citi is really just awful.

I'm about to find an email for their Exec Office and get real with them.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 39 of 43
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

I just called their back door number and learned that my application was approved. Still can't believe that I was denied originally since last time it happened was more then 15 years ago.

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.