cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Denied because of 0 balance! (RECON WINS)

tag
davidsawsparks
Contributor

Citi Denied because of 0 balance! (RECON WINS)

I got denied a Citi card because all my credit card accounts are paid in full and has been this way for a while. The only thing I have a balance on is my car loan.

Below is an excerpt from the email they sent me...

Why we're writing you
 Thank you for applying for the Citi(R) Platinum Select(R)
 MasterCard(R) account.  Unfortunately, we are unable to approve
 your request for the account at this time because of the
 following:

o   Your credit bureau report shows you have no revolving
 accounts with a balance.

I called to try to get a recon but no matter which number I call I keep getting some person in the philippines that just reads the same thing over and over to me like a robot. Is there a Citi number for someone in America I can call and talk to that will at least give my recon a real thought? Thanks!

David

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Denied me because of 0 balance!

If your credit report shows $0 balance on all revolving it looks like you aren't using any CC at all. Were you paying off any charges before statement posting to get your FICO up? Do your revolving accounts show good limits and substantial past "high balance"?

Why would a CC Company want to give a new card to someone that isn't using the ones they already have?

Message 2 of 8
davidsawsparks
Contributor

@GregB wrote:

If your credit report shows $0 balance on all revolving it looks like you aren't using any CC at all. Were you paying off any charges before statement posting to get your FICO up? Do your revolving accounts show good limits and substantial past "high balance"?

Why would a CC Company want to give a new card to someone that isn't using the ones they already have?

I have 6 CC on my report that shows 0 balance. They were paid off and closed many years ago because before I understood how credit works completely, I thought that was a good thing to do. Some of the high balance on those cards were over 5k at one point. I have 2 open accounts still but they are only department store cards with low limits so I have no use for them now. I agree that the point of applying for a credit card is to use it. Denying me their card because they don't think I'm going to use it ignores the fact that I'm there applying for a card because I want to use it. Anyway, the point is... I plan on using it... so is there a number I can call where I don't talk to a robot person who will actually hear me say I plan on using it? I tried the numbers from the "Backdoor number" thread but I keep getting someone in another country who just reads me the exact email I posted above.

Message 3 of 8
davidsawsparks
Contributor

@davidsawsparks wrote:

@GregB wrote:

I have 6 CC on my report that shows 0 balance. They were paid off and closed many years ago because before I understood how credit works completely, I thought that was a good thing to do. Some of the high balance on those cards were over 5k at one point. I have 2 open accounts still but they are only department store cards with low limits so I have no use for them now. I agree that the point of applying for a credit card is to use it. Denying me their card because they don't think I'm going to use it ignores the fact that I'm there applying for a card because I want to use it. Anyway, the point is... I plan on using it... so is there a number I can call where I don't talk to a robot person who will actually hear me say I plan on using it? I tried the numbers from the "Backdoor number" thread but I keep getting someone in another country who just reads me the exact email I posted above.

Ok just a quick update... I kept calling those account status numbers from the backdoor number thread and insisted over and over again to speak with a supervisor. After another 5-10 minutes of CSR trying to do her best to annoy me with their 10 step process that leads to the same result; She finally transferred me to a supervisor. After 2 more minutes I heard "Welcome to Citi". I was approved and will be receiving my card in about a week. WOOHOO!!!

Thank you myFICO forums!!!

Message 4 of 8
tray
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Denied because of 0 balance! (RECON WINS)

Congratulations, persistance does pay off and just not leaving it to one person to decide your fate.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 8
GregB
Valued Contributor

I completely misunderstood your original post.  CLOSED CC accounts with a $0 balance is way different than OPEN accounts that all show $0 balance.

I'm thinking that their original decline should have said "No open CC accounts" or similar.

Congratulations on the new account.

Message 6 of 8
davidsawsparks
Contributor

And the moral of the story is... if you call Citi looking for a recon... immediately ask for a supervisor and don't hang up until they pass you through to one if you want to save yourself some frustration. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Denied because of 0 balance! (RECON WINS)

I know it's been several months since this post. However, the same thing just happened to me. You just called the number in the backdoor numbers thread? Do you have an extention for a supervisor? What exactly did you tell them?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.