cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Diamond Preferred Account Closed 3 years ago, Can I get it Reopened?

tag
jcx808
New Contributor

Citi Diamond Preferred Account Closed 3 years ago, Can I get it Reopened?

Hi Myfico Forum,

I have a Citi Diamond Preferred card that I closed about 3 years ago when Citi wanted to jack up my rate to 29.99%.  I had to close it to keep my interest rate at 7.49%.  Since then I have almost paid off the balance. I have less than 500 still on the card.  I called customer service to get the card reopened since I didn't want to payoff the card and lose the length of history.  I've had the card since 2005.

Has anyone been able to get their closed credit card from Citi to reopen their account?  According to customer service, after 90 days, I have to reapply for a new card.  Anyone have similar experience?  Any suggestions or insight is much appreciated.

Starting Score: 720
Current Score: 725 EQ 746 TU as of 6/24/2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi Diamond Preferred Account Closed 3 years ago, Can I get it Reopened?

@jcx808 wrote:

Hi Myfico Forum,

I have a Citi Diamond Preferred card that I closed about 3 years ago when Citi wanted to jack up my rate to 29.99%.  I had to close it to keep my interest rate at 7.49%.  Since then I have almost paid off the balance. I have less than 500 still on the card.  I called customer service to get the card reopened since I didn't want to payoff the card and lose the length of history.  I've had the card since 2005.

Has anyone been able to get their closed credit card from Citi to reopen their account?  According to customer service, after 90 days, I have to reapply for a new card.  Anyone have similar experience?  Any suggestions or insight is much appreciated.

Unfortunately, the original account cannot be reopened.  You would need to reapply.  Since you declined the acceptance of the terms offered at the time, it meets two TILA requirements: compliance of original terms until balance paid/closure and the 2009 Card Act provisions.

Message 2 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@jcx808 wrote:

Hi Myfico Forum,

Unfortunately, the original account cannot be reopened.  You would need to reapply.  Since you declined the acceptance of the terms offered at the time, it meets two TILA requirements: compliance of original terms until balance paid/closure and the 2009 Card Act provisions.

+1

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 6
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

+1. Tried to do this for my uncle w bofa but bank couldn't reopen the account.

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 4 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Almost no creditors will re~open a previously closed account, they'll just direct you to re~apply.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 6
elvigy
Contributor

The same exact thing happened to me in 2009 with the same exact card. Personally, I won't do business with them again. I had the card for 9 years with no late payments, never over limit, etc. and they refused to even consider not jacking the rate. Or, at the very least, not jacking it up so high. So I closed it and lived without a card for a while. Even now that I'm getting back into credit cards, I won't consider them.

Amex BCP | Barclaycard Arrival WMC | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature | Discover IT
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.