cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Diamond Preferred, App and CLI, one hard pull?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Diamond Preferred, App and CLI, one hard pull?

Hey guys, got some home renovations coming up and I'm going to apply for the Citi Diamond Preferred an 0% for 21 months. Can I combine hard pulls if I apply today and immediately call up to request a CLI? Citi doesn't issue me more than a $5-6K SL, so I'm pretty sure I'll need to CLI today.

Anyone app for Citi card and then CLI on the same day and have pulls combined?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Diamond Preferred, App and CLI, one hard pull?

No one has apped for a Citi card and a CLI the same day? I've done this with Chase, but no experience with Citi.

Message 2 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It's not possible because in order to ask for a CLI, you need to have the actual card in hand. The account is not immediately "built" upon approval, so CSRs cannot access it -- thus no CLI request will be taken.

You will be looking at a double pull (in many cases) for the initial approval and then another seperate pull for the CLI when the card arrives.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you.
Message 4 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

In that case, it would appear that it would be another HP. But you never know sometimes.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

It's not possible because in order to ask for a CLI, you need to have the actual card in hand. The account is not immediately "built" upon approval, so CSRs cannot access it -- thus no CLI request will be taken.

You will be looking at a double pull (in many cases) for the initial approval and then another seperate pull for the CLI when the card arrives.

I called in after approval for cli, and got it.  Smiley Wink

ETA: it was a third hard pull, but I was prepared for that.

Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 7
Dluvr22
Valued Member

I just got my Citi Diamond Preferred 3 weeks ago and after a rough start got the ball rolling.

First off I wa a bit surprised that I got 2 hard pulls for the initial application with a $4K credit limit approval. I really was not expecting 2 HPs.

The plan was once I received the card, I would also call in to get a CLI so with 2 HPs already I was on the fence about that.

Anyway upon receipt of the card , I tried to activate it online a few times and it just wouldn't work. After calling in, it turned out that the last 4 of my SS# did not match their records so I had to be transferred to another dept to get that corrected before the card could be activated.  I did wonder though how they ran my credit  and approved me if someone somewhere got the my SS# entered wrong in their system. Once that was done the rep asked me to update my online profile ( change my password) since my account had been locked due to the multiple attempts to activate my card then log in and activate the card. Then she graciously transferred me back to customer service to request the CLI. When I asked, for it the CS rep said I needed to go to the Fraud dept as my acccount had been locked again.

When I got to the Fraud Dept the guy advised me that since this was a new account and there were so many changes being done to it so early in its inception,  an alert had been triggered and as such I needed once again to verify my personal information before it could be unlocked. At this point, I was now skeptical that any request for a CLI would be approved with all the stuff going on so I politely declined when he offered to transfer me back to Customer service to request the CLI.

Fast forward 2 days later and I'm sitting down debating whether I should risk calling in for that CLI with all the stuff that transpired. Finally I reasoned that I may as well bite the bullet and do it because the sooner I did it, the sooner it would come off instead of waiting a year or so only to incur another HP on my credit report.

I called back in and got yet another transfer where I was advised that my request would incur ayet another HP to which I agreed. Knowing what had transpired I decided to be conservative and only asked for a $2K increase. Thankfully I got approved and got my increase I requested.

What was even more interesting is that 3 weeks later, I am yet to see another inquiry on any of my credit reports for the CLI request. 

I guesse I lucked out on this one and got a SP instead so I figured I'd share. You never know who might get a SP and a CLI appoval right after recieving their new card in the mail.

Starting Score: EX 549 EQ 554 TU 569 on 04/01/2013
Current Fico Scores: EX 728 EQ 736 TU 756 Goal Score: 750 across all 3 bureaus
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.