Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Diamond Preferred CLI Denied, recon denied

tag
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Citi Diamond Preferred CLI Denied, recon denied

My last major set of credit upgrades was in July; now that it's 6 months later, I've been making the rounds again.  I've already had success with Discover ($1000 CLI and a 2% reduction on my interest rate) and Amex (approved for a PRG after 6 months with Zync; backdated to 2006), and Wells Fargo gave me a $1200 auto CLI just a couple months ago.  The only card left to improve was my Citi Diamond Preferred.  I opened this card back in July during my last round of credit hunting; they pulled EQ at the time, when I had a 648 FICO and about 50% util, and approved me with a $1000 CL.  It was a small starting CLI, but I figured that with 6 months of good history and a higher FICO, I'd be all set for a nice CLI in January.

So, I put in my CLI reqest today.  I haven't run a ton of money through the card (probably only about $1500 total), but I've kept it active, and I just paid the blance down to zero a few days ago, where it has remained.  My EQ FICO has risen to 684, my util is down at 22%, and my EQ report has had no inquiries since I opened this card (and only one before that).  I logged into my account and requested an increase to $3000, which would put it right between my Discover CL ($2000) and my Wells Fargo CL ($4200).  No instant decision.  I called in later in the afternoon to get an answer.  CLI denied.  I thought this was kind of strange, so I asked for a recon.  The rep got her supervisor, who told me the same thing.  No discussion, no reasons, just straight up denial.

I wondered if there was some fresh horror on my credit report that I was unaware of, so I used one of my score power reports through Score Watch.  There was nothing new (other than today's INQ from Citi)--still a 684 FICO, still 22% util, no new surprises anywhere.

I'm not all that upset, as the Diamond Preferred has never been my go-to daily card; then again, my main attraction to it in the first place was that it seemed to offer relatively high credit limits that could help my util % while also encouraging rival lenders to match, so being stuck at $1000 kind of defeats its purpose for me.  Mostly I'm just bewildered; my credit profile is unequivocally significantly stronger than it was when I was approved for the card, plus Citi now has 6 months of positive first-hand experience with me.  Any idea what's going on here?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Diamond Preferred CLI Denied, recon denied

I guess it depends on the reason they denied the CLI. Did they send you a letter? Citi seems (to me anyway) to be sensitive to giving CLI's if you recently opened new accounts. I have had a Citi Dividend since 2/12, and was denied a CLI (current limit is 4800) because of my number of recently opened accounts (app spree in June did me in).

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 2 of 4
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

They will be sending me a letter stating the reasons; neither the rep nor the supervisor/recon analyst would discuss my credit report over the phone, which I thought was odd for a recon.  The funny thing is, since opening this account, I have only one "new" account on my CR--my Amex Zync, opened later in July--and that was backdated to 2006.

Message 3 of 4
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@LionLaw wrote:

My last major set of credit upgrades was in July; now that it's 6 months later, I've been making the rounds again.  I've already had success with Discover ($1000 CLI and a 2% reduction on my interest rate) and Amex (approved for a PRG after 6 months with Zync; backdated to 2006), and Wells Fargo gave me a $1200 auto CLI just a couple months ago.  The only card left to improve was my Citi Diamond Preferred.  I opened this card back in July during my last round of credit hunting; they pulled EQ at the time, when I had a 648 FICO and about 50% util, and approved me with a $1000 CL.  It was a small starting CLI, but I figured that with 6 months of good history and a higher FICO, I'd be all set for a nice CLI in January.

So, I put in my CLI reqest today.  I haven't run a ton of money through the card (probably only about $1500 total), but I've kept it active, and I just paid the blance down to zero a few days ago, where it has remained.  My EQ FICO has risen to 684, my util is down at 22%, and my EQ report has had no inquiries since I opened this card (and only one before that).  I logged into my account and requested an increase to $3000, which would put it right between my Discover CL ($2000) and my Wells Fargo CL ($4200).  No instant decision.  I called in later in the afternoon to get an answer.  CLI denied.  I thought this was kind of strange, so I asked for a recon.  The rep got her supervisor, who told me the same thing.  No discussion, no reasons, just straight up denial.

I wondered if there was some fresh horror on my credit report that I was unaware of, so I used one of my score power reports through Score Watch.  There was nothing new (other than today's INQ from Citi)--still a 684 FICO, still 22% util, no new surprises anywhere.

I'm not all that upset, as the Diamond Preferred has never been my go-to daily card; then again, my main attraction to it in the first place was that it seemed to offer relatively high credit limits that could help my util % while also encouraging rival lenders to match, so being stuck at $1000 kind of defeats its purpose for me.  Mostly I'm just bewildered; my credit profile is unequivocally significantly stronger than it was when I was approved for the card, plus Citi now has 6 months of positive first-hand experience with me.  Any idea what's going on here?

I'm curious to know...did you call the actual recon numbers on the "Backdoor Numbers" thread or just ask to speak to a supervisor? Also has there been exactly 6 statement cuts...it is possible if you just waited till the 6th month and they may want 6 full statement cuts. Just in case you didn't know statement cuts can occur at the end of the month which means you may not be eligible until after that date in January. I just find it strange that they would deny a CLI if you have a better profile now. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.