Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Diamond Preferred Invitation

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Citi Diamond Preferred Invitation

It's been a long, long time in coming... but, I just received an offer in the mail for a prime MC!!! You rarely see someone get this happy over receiving a piece of "junk" mail!!! Huge milestone!!!!! Smiley Happy

So, I'm sitting here looking at the offer. No AF and a $100 statement credit with $600 spending within the first three months. That's an easy threshhold to cross.

But, I've been sitting back gardening because I would like to get a BoA Platinum Plus card that offers rewards. The rewards aren't stellar -- 1% in points -- but it's an affinity card that supports my alum association. So, I want it because, well, I just do.

Now, back to Citi... The Diamond Preferred doesn't offer rewards. At some point, I really wouldn't mind having a Citi Forward. The dining rewards would be something that DH and I would definitely find useful. So, my questions to the forum are:

How is Citi with regard to doing a PC? How much usage would the card need to have in order to be able to PC, and for how long? Would it be worth trying to get a foot in the door with Citi now with the goal of doing a PC down the road?

How solid are Citi's offers to apply? I've had really good luck lately with apps, having been approved for Amex Green even with blemishes on my reports. Is Citi pickier than Amex?

Does anyone know what CRA Citi tends to pull from for Florida?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. The final decision is, of course, my own. But, I've received so much valuable information from folks on this forum and I always believe in doing one's best to make informed decisions. Thanks in advance.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
n777ua
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Diamond Preferred Invitation

I've had good luck with Citi lately, getting approved for both Diamond and Hilton with CL's over $10k each.  Good luck.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey 777,

Congrats with the 10k on both cards...could you provide some detail about how long you waited in between apps, and also some details about scores and util?  I'm thinking of going for the Citi Diamond Preferred, to pay of a balance, but was recently approved for the CITI Aadvantage...wanted to know if I need to wait longer , and what to expect.

Thanks

Message 3 of 28
drkaje
Senior Contributor

For me they pulled Ex. I have the Diamond Preferred World card with an $8300 limit. They'll show you the CLI request button every six months but can be very utilization sensitive. Customer service is good, if you're calling with questions about benefits. The customer service seems friendlier (less rushed) on their Cash Returns card.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 28
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@n777ua wrote:

I've had good luck with Citi lately, getting approved for both Diamond and Hilton with CL's over $10k each.  Good luck.

Wow!!! Nice approvals! Congrats!!! Smiley Very Happy

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 5 of 28
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@drkaje wrote:

For me they pulled Ex. I have the Diamond Preferred World card with an $8300 limit. They'll show you the CLI request button every six months but can be very utilization sensitive. Customer service is good, if you're calling with questions about benefits. The customer service seems friendlier (less rushed) on their Cash Returns card.

I'm currently sitting at 1%. I spent a long time paying off old balances and have become maniacal about PIF. Nevertheless, having a card with 0% APR for 21 months could be a handy thing in case of an emergency. What I'm asking is, though, how difficult would it be to PC down the road to a Citi Forward? Does getting a foot in the door first help?

Message 6 of 28
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

I'm currently sitting at 1%. I spent a long time paying off old balances and have become maniacal about PIF. Nevertheless, having a card with 0% APR for 21 months could be a handy thing in case of an emergency. What I'm asking is, though, how difficult would it be to PC down the road to a Citi Forward? Does getting a foot in the door first help?

Never had a reason to try. I don't know how Citi is when it comes to product changes. Guess it comes down to where you are on the credit journey. If there's no sense of urgency, waiting until positioned for the card you really want may make more sense.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 7 of 28
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@drkaje wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Never had a reason to try. I don't know how Citi is when it comes to product changes. Guess it comes down to where you are on the credit journey. If there's no sense of urgency, waiting until positioned for the card you really want may make more sense.

Not urgency, just excitment. I spent way, waaaaay too long with subprime cards. I got mired down on my credit journey, partially because I didn't realize how badly util affects scores. The information that I gained from these forums have been invaluable in helping me to improve my credit profile to get to the point where I'm finally starting to receive prime offers.

That being said, I'm now considering whether or not it might be a good idea to add a card to my mix that has a 0% APR. Not as an everyday card, but to keep on hand in case there's a need to make a major purchase and spread out payments. And I certainly would like to have a Citi card in my wallet -- much better than the FP and Orchard that I just booted out! And, the $100 statement credit is a very tempting bonus.

I won't make a decision today; I want to take my time and mull it over. The offer is good through Nov 30, so I have plenty of time.

Message 8 of 28
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I accepted an offer for the Citi Diamond Preferred a few months ago.  It's 0% until February 2013.  I received a decent CL and they pulled EQ for me, in NY.  I did research it beforehand and found that I should be able to convert it to another Citi card when I'm finished with it.  I can't tell you much about their customer service because I really never had a need to call them.

Hope this helps.  Let us know what you decide to do!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 9 of 28
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@clocktick wrote:

I accepted an offer for the Citi Diamond Preferred a few months ago.  It's 0% until February 2013.  I received a decent CL and they pulled EQ for me, in NY.  I did research it beforehand and found that I should be able to convert it to another Citi card when I'm finished with it.  I can't tell you much about their customer service because I really never had a need to call them.

Hope this helps.  Let us know what you decide to do!

Thanks! This was very helpful.

After thinking about it, I realized that I have an planned expense coming up the beginning of the year related to my DD's education. It would be helpful to be able to spread it out into three monthly payments. So, if I take this offer, I'll be able to do so interest free, and receive the $100 statement credit. So, win/win. If I can convert the card down the road, so much the better!

I have decided that I'll go for it in another week or so. I have a Cap1 that is ready to hit its one year anniversary and I'd like a full year's reporting to show on it.

Once again, I appreciate the info!

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.