Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Diamond Preferred Invitation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Diamond Preferred Invitation

I would like to take a invitation for the Citi Diamond Preferred card, but would also like to cancel my gold Amex, a Capitol one and an HSBC card.  I also have a Nordstom Visa and Wells Fargo Visa, both of which have high CL's.  Basically I'd like to have just 3 credit cards with high CL's.  Should I cancel the Amex, Cap one and HSBC before I take the Citi Diamond invite?

Thanks.

Message 21 of 28
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

I appreciate all of the feedback. I've decided that I'm going to go for it. As stated previously, my DD's upcoming college expenses tipped the scales for me. In-state tuition in Florida is very affordable, especially at the two year colleges. So, my options for her upcoming semester are:

Pull a lump sum out of savings account. I can do this, but then I would have to decide how I wish to tender payment. My Cap1 rewards card doesn't have a large enough CL to accommodate. I COULD put it on my Amex Green, but I don't want to do anything "out of pattern" and risk triggering a FR; not worth it to me. I'd have to put it on a non-rewards card and then PIF, or write a check. Either way, I'd get nothing back. Meh...

Spread it out over time by using the Tuition Installment Plan. I can then spread payments out over three months, but there's a $35 processing fee. Yuck...

Accept the invitation for the Citi Diamond card and hope to be approved with a CL of at least $1500 -- preferably higher. Then, I can keep the money in my savings, spread the tuition out over three months and pay for it out of already budgeted monthly income, and get a $100 statement credit. Use someone else's money interest free and get money back? It's really hard to say no!

So... I'm planning on apping a week from tomorrow. That way, the one year mark for the "new credit ding" for my Cap1 MC will no longer be factored into my FICO scores. Also, a balance that I allowed to post to my Visa last month will be updated and back to $0. I wound up with the AF on my Orchard hitting before canceling the card, and a $14 charge sneaked in on my Cap1 MC the day the statement cut. So, on the day I plan to app, my util will look like this:

Cap1 Visa - 0 / 6400

Cap1 MC - 14 / 750

Orchard MC - 74 / 400 (card has been closed and is now at $0, but won't update until later in the month)

Dillard's Amex - 0 / 1700

JC Penney - 0 / 1500

Kay Jeweler - 0 / 5100

Amex Green - 604 (paid right after the statement cut)

(ETA): SST Visa - 0 / 3200 -- had this card since 2000. Formerly a Providian card. Card issuer declined to renew the card at one point, but it has been faithfully paid in full down to $0 and STILL reports as an open, active account. It helps my util and my AAoA, so I hope it sits on my report as open and active for a good, long time.

Overall util on revolving accounts: 1%

So, I think that I look good on util. Thoughts???

To me, it looks like you're in a good shape.  They had me call in and the CSR talked to me for a while (computers were being flaky).  He asked me questions and if I remember correctly, asked if I was doing a banace transfer.  I think you'll definitely get at least $1500.  I'm looking forward to seeing your results.  They gave me the $100 faster than I would have thought and the CSRs seem genuinely nice and helpful.  I really don't see how you can go wrong.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 22 of 28
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

I've received 2 invites to apply, and am giving it some consideration. Tinuviel, did you ever go for it?
Message 23 of 28
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@-Cain- wrote:
I've received 2 invites to apply, and am giving it some consideration. Tinuviel, did you ever go for it?
Hi, Cain; thanks for asking!
I replied on a different thread that, unfortunately, I was denied due to "current or past delinquency with one or more of your creditors" -- ie: charge offs. Amex approved me with COs still showing, so I hoped that perhaps Citi would, as well -- especially since they invited me to apply. No go. All of the COs will drop off by this time next year, so I'm just going to sit back and wait. I figure that if I stay on my current course of responsible credit behavior, then in another year I'll be in good shape to app for desireable cards.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 24 of 28
lazylane
New Contributor

I received an invitation in the mail today and decided to apply after reading the success stories on this forum and I was approved for 3200!

ETA

They pulled from Experian and on the approval page they put my credit score which was 709. ( I just checked all 3 scores on 10/31 and Expeiran score was 647) so I'm really shocked!

Message 25 of 28
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

I just received another invite to apply for this card. It's my 3rd invite so far, I'm kind of tempted to apply. Anyone else having luck with these invites?
Message 26 of 28
lazylane
New Contributor

@-Cain- wrote:
I just received another invite to apply for this card. It's my 3rd invite so far, I'm kind of tempted to apply. Anyone else having luck with these invites?

I did Smiley Happy. Read my post above.

Message 27 of 28
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

I applied today after really giving this invite some serious thought because of inquiries and recent approvals with Amex.  I was approved for 8K @ 12.99%/ 0% for 18 months on purchases and BT. 

They pulled EX.  I'm in Florida.  Good Luck!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.