cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Diamond Preferred VS Thank You Preferred and Should I Apply?

tag
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Citi Diamond Preferred VS Thank You Preferred and Should I Apply?

Well I am in the garden as of right now but I have the itch for a Citi card as I've been attending some concerts lately and they seem closely tied with Citi for different perks. I currently have almost $3,000 blalance on my Discover but all others are $0 or pretty close.  My oldest account is my BB&T card, I've had both the Kay and Best Buy nearly a year, AMEX almost 4 months and Chase, Bayport, and Discover about 2 months.  Credit Secure has all my scores at 720+, CK at 682 but in my siggy are the latest lender pulls.  Equifax was for an auto loan so maybe Bayport scored it differently than it would be for a credit card?  I did just refinance a 6 month old auto loan as well.  Chase pulled me at a 710 on Experian.  No baddies at all, total credit history is over 3 years but average is only about 6-7 months due to all new cards.  In the last year I have 5 inquiries on Experian, one from Verizon for cell phone, 14 on Equifax but most are for my initial auto loan and one for the cable, and I have 1 on Transunion.  So which card is good?  The Diamond Preferred or the Thank You Preferred and why?  Rewards aren't a huge deal to me as I use the Freedom, IT, and BCE for rewards.  I would like to add a Mastercard to my collection!  Also, should I even waste time applying in the first place?  I also did try the pre-qual and it said "we couldn't match your records to a Pre-Qualified credit card offer but we think you'll like this card:

Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card"

It also listed the simplicity and AAdvantage as cards "I may be interested in." 

AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Diamond Preferred VS Thank You Preferred and Should I Apply?

The thank you preferred comes as a visa by default unless you manage to find one of those offers that come in a MasterCard version, such as those 5X gas, groceries and drug stores promo.

The TYP is harder to qualify for compared to diamond preferred because the TYP has a NPSL and offer better benefits in general.

If all you want is any MasterCard, you could get your chase cards PC to a MasterCard or check out Barclays as well. Barclays seems to offer MasterCard mostly.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 22
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Got yahhh. I'm not necessarily interested in just the MasterCard option, just the perks of the Citi card in general. I thought the Diamond Preferred would be harder but the way you put it makes sense. Hmmmm. I'm wondering if I should apply.

AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 3 of 22
enharu
Super Contributor

check credit pulls database and whogavemecredit to see which bureau they pull from in your area.

Citi usually pulls EQ or EX primarily.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 22
eagles08
Regular Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
You want the cc for early access to concerts?

I'd be interested in utilizing that perk but I guess it's an excuse to get a new card too!  Ha! 

Message 6 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Apping is obviously your decision. IMO, I'd reconsider with an AAOA that low. If you aren't going to apply for anything else for a year - go for it.

enharu can give you more advice on Citi than I but from what I've seen their rewards are a little thin if it was going to be my last cc for a year.
Message 7 of 22
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

I received the Citi Diamond Preferred about a month ago.  They pulled EQUIFAX, with a "Score Range" of 250 - 900.  My score was 737 (Ohio), receiving a $5K CL.

(Oh, since this is my first post (longer time lurker), HELLO to all of you!)

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 8 of 22
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Yeah.  My next big move will be a mortage and definitely not within the next year.  Maybe two!  I mayyyy have an auto loan in there somewhere but I highly doubt that as well.

Message 9 of 22
eagles08
Regular Contributor

@Corgihound wrote:

I received the Citi Diamond Preferred about a month ago.  They pulled EQUIFAX, with a "Score Range" of 250 - 900.  My score was 737 (Ohio), receiving a $5K CL.

(Oh, since this is my first post (longer time lurker), HELLO to all of you!)

Do you like the card?  Why did you get it?  Like I stated this will by no means be my daily card so rewards are not a factor but I was just wondering if I'd have a shot at the Thank You Preferred but im leaning towards the Diamond. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.