cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Diamond Preferred... What's it Worth?

tag
Stralem
Established Contributor

Citi Diamond Preferred... What's it Worth?

So I got a pre-approval letter in the mail today for the Citi Diamond Preferred.

I find that hilarious because they denied me for a student card and laughed me off the phone when I tried to recon some three years ago, the f***ers. Anyway...

From what I understand, the Diamond Preferred is mainly a balance transfer card, correct? So given that, how would it match up against a Slate? And were I to get it, what would the PC route be? The Thank You series of cards?

Thanks in advance.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Diamond Preferred... What's it Worth?

It is a good BT card and it has some special concierge service. Other than that, its pretty worthless. 

Message 2 of 16
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I have it as a balance transfer card. I get offers all the time for 0% interest bt's which I like. They offer good discounts on hotels, shopping, entertainment, etc. It's not the greatest but it's a good bt card in my honest opinion.
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 3 of 16
Stralem
Established Contributor

Thanks. I gathered as much from searching the forums, but I wasn't sure if that concensus had changed anytime recently.

I'll have to look into that concierge service, though... I would probably never use it, but hey.

So again, were I to get the Diamond Preferred for a balance transfer (the mailer said 0% for 12 months), what would be an appropriate product to change it to after the promo period?

Everyone Else.
Message 4 of 16
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I have one and they gave pretty regular CLIs for a while.

Concierge was nothing special and definitely not cheaper than Kayak or other airline sites. They were nice, but no one comes close to Amex.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 16
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

Citi is weird. The DP I would assume is primarily supposed to be a BT card. When I got approved, they only gave me a 500 dollar limit. Tell me, what balance do they expect me to transfer over?

Anyways, I did a CLI request and was denied. I called the EO and they approved it. My limit now sits at 3k. I guess they thought it was bogus too..but whatever the case is, the card doesnt really have a rewards structure. 

That having been said, I wouldn't app for it. In order to PC, the card has to be open for a year. In my opinion, most of the Citi cards are less than stellar. I don't want to go so far as to say I regret apping for it. But they trusted me with my first big limit (3k) at the time. So I am forever grateful.

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 6 of 16
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I've had the card for about 3 years.  I haven't used it in a while and they just gave me a CLI in Nov.  It was a good 0% for a while but I see now they have this for first 12 months:

For the first 12 months you will earn a generous:

• 5 points per dollar at grocery stores
  • 5 points per dollar at drug stores
  • 5 points per dollar at gas stations
  • 1 point per dollar on all other purchases

It goes with their ThankYou Points but I honestly am not familiar with the TY points.

A plus for me though is it's a Mastercard and I recently needed one for Mastercard-exclusive tickets.  I used another one but think I'll keep it just because it's a MC.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 7 of 16
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

Hows does the Diamond Preferred get Thank You Points?

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 8 of 16
Stralem
Established Contributor

Really good info, guys. Thanks.,

I don't plan on getting this card since I have my sights set on a Sapphire Preferred, but should I ever need a balance transfer, I know where to look.

Everyone Else.
Message 9 of 16
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@Shock_ wrote:

Hows does the Diamond Preferred get Thank You Points?

From their site:

How do the rewards work?
The Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards card features the popular Citi ThankYou Points program, which is perhaps the most diverse credit card rewards program in existence.

For the first 12 months you will earn a generous:

• 5 points per dollar at grocery stores
  • 5 points per dollar at drug stores
  • 5 points per dollar at gas stations
  • 1 point per dollar on all other purchases

Then after that you will still be earning 1 point per dollar on all of the above.

What can I redeem my points for?

Practically anything you can think of is available… merchandise, gift cards, charity donations, cash rebates, mortgage payments, student loan payments, statement credits, flights, hotels, music downloads, and the list goes on. If you can think of it, odds are it’s probably in there!

To get the optimal value for your rewards points, it’s best to redeem Citi Diamond Preferred card points for gift cards. Why? Because many of them have an excellent conversion value of a full penny per 1 point – i.e. $100 Bloomingdales gift card for 10,000 points. When you go that route, it’s like getting a whopping 5% rebate on the aforementioned categories for one full year!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.