cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Diamond Preferred online offer different from mailed offer.. thoughts

tag
Best2014

Citi Diamond Preferred online offer different from mailed offer.. thoughts

Hi, I have been receiving offers in the mail for the Diamond preferred card for some time now.

On the offer they mail they do not offer a balance transfer, but 0% for 12 months. Then 19.99% APR after the 12th month.

When I check online for their prequlified offers they say they offer me a 9 month purhchase AND Balance tr at 0% and then 22.99% APR after the 9 months.

I wonder why the discrepancies and if I instead of replying to their offers I just go into the normal application where they offer the 0% APR for 18 months for Purchases and Balance TR, would that still yield me either a 9 month or 12 month like one of the offers above or I have a chance of getting the 18 months as advertised. 

My fico is at 661 with Equifax and I only have a medical collection still lingering not reporting for around 300 bucks.. 

Also, Discover says they don't have any offers for me at this time but can apply for their IT card. Would that be easier to get than the Preferred from Citi and do I have a better chance of getting a higher credit limit with Discover or with Citi?

Thanks for your suggestions.. !!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi Diamond Preferred online offer different from mailed offer.. thoughts

In my experience with Citi, they've mailed me offers with an invitation code, but I've never had anything populate for pre-approvals/-qualifiers through their website.  Does your mailer have an invitation code?  If so, I would use that.

Discover is weird with negatives.  I had a 5 year old judgement (paid) that they could never seem to get past until it fell off my reports completely.  But some get crazy limits with negatives.  I would say your chances are better with the Citi invitation.

Message 2 of 13
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I believe Citi is easier to get over Discover.  I would try the ad you see online but you are never guaranteed a certain rate even if you "pre-" qualify. 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 13
Best2014

Thanks for chiming in..

I am trying to decide whether I should go with Citi or Discover.. I was reading that some peple say it is easier to get approved for the Discover it card since I have around 661 fico Equifax.

What Citi is offering is not really very good, because the default rate would go to 19.99APR which I think is really high..

If you had to chance it with 1 inquiry, which one would you pick if your score was 661 Equifax? Citi or Discover (is it possible to think amex?)

Thanks again

Message 4 of 13
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

It's hard to say based on score alone.  Income, negatives, AAoA, existing TLs, where is your credit score coming from are all things one has to consider.  I got an Amex PRG and Citi TYP with a 656 Fico, but Discover wouldn't touch me.  I burned 4 inquiries with Discover and the 4th was finally approved.  

That same Citi card was supposed to have 12 months 0% then 18.9% back when it was approved 3 years ago.  To this day, I get a weekly 0% offer from Citi, so I wouldn't be totally focused on what the APR goes up to next year.

Message 5 of 13
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I would try both but that's just me.  For me, Discover pulled TU and Citibank has pulled EQ - ymmv.  Also, I've had better luck with Citi over Discover and more places take VISA/MC over Discover.  However, Discover has some decent categories for cash back. 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 13
Best2014

Good points guys...  I may apply for both since it seems that Discover may pulll Transunion and Citi Equifax.

Was trying to see if Amex may have an offer but their site for that is down apparently. You know if they pull equifax or TR or exp and which Amex card should I attempt.

I guess that I might start with the Citicard since I have an offer, but I might just go to their website and apply as if no invitation just to see what happens. Then Immediately Discover It and lastly if you think it is a good idea, attempt with Amex.

hope this doesn't hurt me too much when finding an apartment next month since I am moving and not sure if landlords/apt complex care whether I applied for credit cards..   This card will help me have more cash flow while I settle down where I move.

Thanks

Message 7 of 13
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Best2014 wrote:

Good points guys...  I may apply for both since it seems that Discover may pulll Transunion and Citi Equifax.

Was trying to see if Amex may have an offer but their site for that is down apparently. You know if they pull equifax or TR or exp and which Amex card should I attempt.

I guess that I might start with the Citicard since I have an offer, but I might just go to their website and apply as if no invitation just to see what happens. Then Immediately Discover It and lastly if you think it is a good idea, attempt with Amex.

hope this doesn't hurt me too much when finding an apartment next month since I am moving and not sure if landlords/apt complex care whether I applied for credit cards..   This card will help me have more cash flow while I settle down where I move.

Thanks

Just letting you know that Citi pulls EX for me. I just wanted you to be aware that (with a few exceptions i.e. barclay's pulls TU) what lender pulls what is very much luck of the draw.

That being said, I like my Citi Dividend card.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 8 of 13
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

I personally believe that a Discover preapproval application is more valuable than a preapproval app from Citi. Without a preapproval app from Discover be prepared for a high APR and low limit if approved. If you decide to app for a Citi card my advice would be to app for the best offer you can find and hope for the best.

Message 9 of 13
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Best2014 wrote:

Thanks

Use your Google machine - credit pulls database

Amex is about 109% Experian.  Landlords are looking for negatives or any indication you skipped out on past rent.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.