cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Dividend, Chase Freedom, Discover More

Established Contributor

Citi Dividend, Chase Freedom, Discover More

seriously what's the point of enrolling into the categories every quarter? it's not like we have a choice! I guess card issuers are happy cause it's probably like mail in rebates, cause they can appear to be competitive but most people forget to sign up =P


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Dividend, Chase Freedom, Discover More


distantarray wrote:

seriously what's the point of enrolling into the categories every quarter? it's not like we have a choice! I guess card issuers are happy cause it's probably like mail in rebates, cause they can appear to be competitive but most people forget to sign up =P


Smiley Surprised Have both, atleast the freedom shows what is what. The dividend is another story.

 

Once I get BCE, both card will see less action depending on the quarter.

 

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 2 of 11
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Dividend, Chase Freedom, Discover More


armbenderc wrote:

distantarray wrote:

seriously what's the point of enrolling into the categories every quarter? it's not like we have a choice! I guess card issuers are happy cause it's probably like mail in rebates, cause they can appear to be competitive but most people forget to sign up =P


Smiley Surprised Have both, atleast the freedom shows what is what. The dividend is another story.

 

Once I get BCE, both card will see less action depending on the quarter.

 


Just in case you didn't know, with the BCE, you get a statement credit instead of straight cash back.

Message 3 of 11
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Dividend, Chase Freedom, Discover More


kevinjjc wrote:

armbenderc wrote:

distantarray wrote:

seriously what's the point of enrolling into the categories every quarter? it's not like we have a choice! I guess card issuers are happy cause it's probably like mail in rebates, cause they can appear to be competitive but most people forget to sign up =P


Smiley Surprised Have both, atleast the freedom shows what is what. The dividend is another story.

 

Once I get BCE, both card will see less action depending on the quarter.

 


Just in case you didn't know, with the BCE, you get a statement credit instead of straight cash back.


I think statement credit would be easier than a check.  But the downside is Amex seems to be like a billing cycle or two behind when adding up the rewards =/

Message 4 of 11
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Dividend, Chase Freedom, Discover More


distantarray wrote:

seriously what's the point of enrolling into the categories every quarter? it's not like we have a choice! I guess card issuers are happy cause it's probably like mail in rebates, cause they can appear to be competitive but most people forget to sign up =P


haha exactly.  Why not just make it automatic.  But anything to save a buck right.  lol.  Mail in rebates = perfect analogy

Message 5 of 11
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Dividend, Chase Freedom, Discover More


ccnewcc wrote:

kevinjjc wrote:

armbenderc wrote:

distantarray wrote:

seriously what's the point of enrolling into the categories every quarter? it's not like we have a choice! I guess card issuers are happy cause it's probably like mail in rebates, cause they can appear to be competitive but most people forget to sign up =P


Smiley Surprised Have both, atleast the freedom shows what is what. The dividend is another story.

 

Once I get BCE, both card will see less action depending on the quarter.

 


Just in case you didn't know, with the BCE, you get a statement credit instead of straight cash back.


I think statement credit would be easier than a check.  But the downside is Amex seems to be like a billing cycle or two behind when adding up the rewards =/


A statement credit forces you to use that specific card in order to redeem your cashback rewards.

Message 6 of 11
Contributor

Re: Citi Dividend, Chase Freedom, Discover More


distantarray wrote:

seriously what's the point of enrolling into the categories every quarter? it's not like we have a choice! I guess card issuers are happy cause it's probably like mail in rebates, cause they can appear to be competitive but most people forget to sign up =P


I don't think it's so much that the card issuers want you to forget about the sign-up and miss the bonus, but rather that they want to get you to go to the website and click on the button to enroll. Doing so positively reinforces the benefit in the consumer's mind ("I clicked on the button to sign up for this") and forces the consumer to see the bonus categories.

 

I think most people are lazy and will forget about the categories. Most people I know with credit cards still use their debit cards (and typically only have 1 or 2 CCs anyway). If you get an email (or a pop-up/banner) that keeps on nagging you to sign up, and you eventually do so, you create a positive ("active"? I'm not a psychologist) mental association between you and the card, and thus you'll be more likely to use it for anything, not just the bonus categories. That's what they really want. They'll settle for not signing up for the bonus and using the card, but they'd rather you get the card for the 5% bonus and then use it on other things.

 

This is also part of the reason why the companies don't release the entire schedule at once (aside, I'm sure, from the uncertainty of what they'll be able to afford a year from now - can't commit to another 5x online shopping without thinking it through, for instance). If the list is disclosed progressivelly, you'll be more anxious to see what the result is, and thus more anxious (and excited) about 5x points on Starbucks or some other BS.

Message 7 of 11
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi Dividend, Chase Freedom, Discover More

Discover allows you to have a reminder email or text sent to you when it is time to sign up

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 8 of 11
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Dividend, Chase Freedom, Discover More

I was told the reason is so that customers are forced to be aware of the changes, as it provides the CCC with marketing opportunities.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 9 of 11
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Dividend, Chase Freedom, Discover More


bribro wrote:

I was told the reason is so that customers are forced to be aware of the changes, as it provides the CCC with marketing opportunities.


This makes the most sense: every time you get eyes on your site, you get an opportunity to market. Also, I'm curious how you know what your credit score will be on Xmas eve? Must be an advantage to working for Chase?

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 10 of 11