cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Dividend Platinum Select MC - Should I get it?

tag
BluMoon
New Contributor

Citi Dividend Platinum Select MC - Should I get it?

I do everything I can to maximize cash-back rewards - Specifically looking at cards with rotating categories, I currently have a Discover More and a Chase Freedom.  Although they offer different categories at times, often they are the same - for example they both usually offer Lawn and Garden in Spring, Gas in the Fall, Department Stores in the last quarter (Christmas), etc.  Several times throughout the year, though, there are differences - one may offer grocery stores one quarter, while the other offers restaurants.

I know the Citi Dividend Platinum Select MC also offers rotating quarterly categories.  Would it be worth it to me to get this card, or would the cards I have pretty much cover the categories that Citi offers?  My question pertains to offers during the SAME quarter.  For example, if Citi was known to offer 5% cash back for restaurants in the Summer quarter, while the others pretty much offer 5% back for restaurants in the Fall, I would like that.  Discover and Chase both reveal their quarterly rewards for the entire year on their sites, but I couldn't find them on Citi.  Looking forward to your replies.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi Dividend Platinum Select MC - Should I get it?

honestly I think their rewards suck, its good in the first 6 months because its 2% on everything but after that its 1% and 2% on select rotating categories. its only 5% cashback when you shop through their online shopping network. capital one has a good no af cashback card if you buy groceries and gas a lot 2% always on gas and groceries.

amazon
Message 2 of 12
jj10939
Regular Contributor

honestly I think their rewards suck, its good in the first 6 months because its 2% on everything but after that its 1% and 2% on select rotating categories. its only 5% cashback when you shop through their online shopping network. capital one has a good no af cashback card if you buy groceries and gas a lot 2% always on gas and groceries.

The Citi Dividend Plat Select is 1% cash back on everything, not rotating categories.  I have this card and it's great.  I would go for it!

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same card and the rewards are worth it. I wouldn't focus on the rewards though.. just use the card and over time it will build up.

Message 4 of 12
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

Jj you obviously didn't read my post I did say 1% on everything and 2% on rotating categories. Next time
Please read before speaking
amazon
Message 5 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@tsquad131 wrote:
Jj you obviously didn't read my post I did say 1% on everything and 2% on rotating categories. Next time
Please read before speaking

Misreading a post is a very common occurrence. I do it more often than I'd like to admit.

If anyone on these forums has never done so that is very rare indeed.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 12
jj10939
Regular Contributor

Whoops!  Sorry about that! Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tsquad131 wrote:

but after that its 1% and 2% on select rotating categories.

A very easy misread, it does not clearly  say 1% on everything and 2% on rotating catagories.

Just saying.......

Message 8 of 12
BluMoon
New Contributor

Hmmm.  They lead you to believe it's 5% on rotating categories, although they don't commit to that by saying "up to 5%."  I thought I had read that other people had received 5% on rotating categories.  tsquad 131, how long have you had your card?  Have you never gotten 5% on rotating categories?

Message 9 of 12
BluMoon
New Contributor

Actually, I went to the site again, after I posted.  In the past, it did read "up to 5%."  Now, this is what it reads:

Earn 5% cash back

on home improvement, home furnishings, and home and garden purchases. Enrollment required. Plus, earn additional cash back when you enroll in future rotating categories that change each quarter

It implies that it's 5% back for each of the rotating categories.

So, back to my original question - Does it pretty much follow the same pattern as rotating categories for Discover and Chase Freedom, or is Citi a little different?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.