Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Dividend versus Sallie Mae MC

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Citi Dividend versus Sallie Mae MC

I'm trying to decide between these 2 cards, but I can't make up my mind.

I currently don't have any MasterCards, and I've heard that the Dividend can be converted to a World Elite MC, which would be nice to have.  The drawback is that the 5% categories Citi offers flat out suck, plus cashback is capped at $300 a year.

As for the Sallie Mae MC, I like the 5% on both groceries and gas (capped at $3000/year each), but I'm wary of Barclaycard's reputation.  I've never heard anything positive about their customer service and I get the impression that they might change the rewards structure at any moment.

Which one do you guys recommend?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Dividend Platinum Select versus Sallie Mae MasterCard

I believe they lowered the caps on the Sallie Mae card when it was transferred to them, but I don't see them getting rid of the rewards. Their reputation, in my opinion, is pretty unfounded. I opened multiple accounts after theirs and still got automated increases. Analysts even asked about the accounts and didn't close the card. I would say they more closely watch people who were barely approved and have had negative credit experiences in the past, such as late payments and complete defaults. Their customer service is alright with their front level customer service representatives able to do a lot for you, without having to transfer you.

You are right about the Citi Dividend being complete rubbish. I have never seen such ridiculous categories on a rotating card. You could go ahead and get both of them to maximise cashback, though.

If I could only choose one, it would be the Sallie Mae cad.

Message 2 of 25
zyzzus
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Dividend versus Sallie Mae MC

I'm itching to apply for the Sallie Mae card.  I've had the priceline card for about five months only had to call customer service a few times and they were helpful.

Capital One Quicksilver- $5,400 | Chase Freedom - $8,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited- $13,000 | Chase Amazon -$5,000 | Priceline Visa -$10,000 | US Bank Cash+ - $18,200 | Fidelity Visa -$10,000 | Sallie Mae- $10,000  | DCU Platinum $12,000 | Discover IT - $10,000 | Amex EveryDay - $25,000  | Amex BlueCash Everyday- $9,800 | Citi DoubleCash - $18,000 | Sapphire Preferred- $13,000 Freedom Unlimited$7,000 Blispay$12,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve- $18,000 | Consumers Credit Union Visa Sig Cash Rebate$25,000

Message 3 of 25
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

I'm trying to decide between these 2 cards, but I can't make up my mind.

I currently don't have any MasterCards, and I've heard that the Dividend can be converted to a World Elite MC, which would be nice to have.  The drawback is that the 5% categories Citi offers flat out suck, plus cashback is capped at $300 a year.

As for the Sallie Mae MC, I like the 5% on both groceries and gas (capped at $3000/year each), but I'm wary of Barclaycard's reputation.  I've never heard anything positive about their customer service and I get the impression that they might change the rewards structure at any moment.

Which one do you guys recommend?

Of course 5% on $6,000 a year (if you could maximize both $3K categories) is the same $300 as Dividend.  The great advantage of Sallie Mae (apart from usable categories) is that is also has 5% on $750 a month for "books" which appears to include Amazon, and if you can maximize that, that's an additional $450 for a total of $750.   This is not only better than dividend, it outdoes the rotating Freedom and Discover (while having sensible categories!)

Barclays has a number of good/great cards, and their reputation for being unfriendly to customers is overdone.  (Now, as a global bank, their reputation for criminality is well deserved, but that is something else!)

Message 4 of 25
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Is the rewards redemption simpler than on the Priceline Visa?

Speaking of which, does that card still offer 2x points on everything? I looked at the app ob Barclaycrd's site and it only offered 1x points?

Message 5 of 25
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Do Visa and MC consider Walmart and Target grocery stores?

Message 6 of 25
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:
Is the rewards redemption simpler than on the Priceline Visa?

Speaking of which, does that card still offer 2x points on everything? I looked at the app ob Barclaycrd's site and it only offered 1x points?

Don't know about the first bit, but if you apply via priceline.com, you get the version that gives 2x, whereas, as you say, on the Barclays site it is only 1x

Message 7 of 25
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

My two cents. I've had the Sallie Mae MC only for a few weeks. But I'm loving that rewards structure. And yes, Amazon and Amazon Marketplace are considered book sellers.

The online interface is the best of all my cards by far and the rewards are given immediately. As soon as the purchase is posted, you get the rewards and you see exactly how many reward points you get for each purchase.

For me, Walmart was NOT coded as a grocery store. YMMV. Maybe if you shop at a Walmart superstore that has a full grocery store, it would be coded as a grocery store. I don't know. I really liked that I could see quickly which businesses earn 5% and which don't so I could adjust my spending accordingly.

Rewards can be used only for a statement credit, a payment on a Sallie Mae loan or a deposit toward a uPromise card. That's good enough for me though.

I've had only one customer service experience on the card when I reconned for a higher CL after being approved. I didn't get the CLI but the rep I spoke with was friendly and helpful. She explained exactly why she wasn't granting it and told me what to do about trying again later.

Message 8 of 25
colindidit
Established Contributor

Bs.. I wish I would of known that last night when I got approved for the Priceline visa.. Only getting 1x .. But I will get the 5000 it's after first purchase. Prob just gonna pay my phone bill with it. Or a stick of gum Smiley Tongue
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 9 of 25
tatterz
New Contributor

Lol, its nice to see people finally talking about the godly Sallie Mae MC after I made my thread about it. I was approved on Tuesday and can't wait to get it! It is the perfect all-in-one card if you're a college student like me, the reward structure is all I can ask for. 5% at groceries (including Walmart/Target), Gas, and Books (Amazon)? Its a great card that hopefully won't change anytime soon. It seems like this card is on the hush-hush and isn't talked about at all on practically any website, reviews, etc.

I would apply for the Chase Freedom Mastercard if you don't have Freedom already. Freedom seems to have the best categories, but I'm not really fond of category cards. I've looked at Citi's cards and the Dividend didn't really appeal to me since there are wayy better category cards available.

I've also looked into the Citi Thank You solely because of the $200 Reward Signup Bonus here

TU: 730 (Lender Pull) ; EQ: 738 (MyFico)
Barclay's Sallie Mae 5% Mastercard $1k(4/2013)- My main beach
Chase Freedom $3k (3/2013) - My side beach
Amex BCE $6k (3/2013) - When I feel like a boss
Crapital One Platinum $750 (2/2010) - When I feel like a n00b
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.