Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Dividend?

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Citi Dividend?

This card any good? The rewards seem close to Freedom and Discover, but I never hear people wanting this card, kinda wondering why.... any draw backs? I prefer Freedom cause it easy to understand and pairs nicely for my points in Sapphire Preferred =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi Dividend?

Its a solid card. I use this as one of my main cards with my Chase Freedom and Amex BCE when the rotating categories are most benificial. Unlike the Freedom, you have to have a minimum of $50 to cash out and get a check. If you spend quite a bit then it shouldn't be a issue. I've also recieved CLI's every 6 months a well--something Chase will never do w/o a hard pull.

Transunion - 820 (9/8/21)
Equifax Fico 8 - 832 (9/8/21)
Vantagescore - 821 (3/20/21)
Message 2 of 20
doggeral

1.  Categories don't seem to overlap with Discover/Chase regularly.  

2.  Cash back is limited to $300 per year instead of $75 per quarter so you can make one purchase up to $6000 in a 5% category and get 5% granted the 1% is limited as well, but in the grand scheme of things most people on here looking at this card will have an everyday type card anyway.

Other than that its pretty much the same as Discover/Chase to me.

Message 3 of 20
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@doggeral wrote:

1.  Categories don't seem to overlap with Discover/Chase regularly.  

2.  Cash back is limited to $300 per year instead of $75 per quarter so you can make one purchase up to $6000 in a 5% category and get 5% granted the 1% is limited as well, but in the grand scheme of things most people on here looking at this card will have an everyday type card anyway.

Other than that its pretty much the same as Discover/Chase to me.

The $300 cap is the biggest drawback in my opinion. However, purchases made through the bonus cash center aren't capped.

I was just approved for the Citi Dividend card in September and I even got a sweet sign-up bonus of $150 for spending $500 in the first 3 months!

Message 4 of 20
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

We use it. It's a good solid card. But like someone else said, it caps at 300. 

Thing I love about Citi is they're not stingy with their CL's and increases. At least that's been my experience. 

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 20
doggeral

Well the cap is a blessing and a curse because of the way it is handled.  It is essentially more useful in 5% categories than Discover or Chase and less useful in 1% categories if you spend a lot.   A good example of more useful is that a bought a new bed on this card for $3500 and $500 in bedding from the dividend I got $200 cash back where as on Freedom or Discover I would have only gotten $100 because of the quarterly limit.

Message 6 of 20
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

* Advantage

---> 5% category does not overlap with Chase/Discover a lot

---> Citi is very easy with CLI and 0% promotional offer

---> $300 annual cap works in favor of 5% category

* Disadvantage

---> Citi only announce 5% category 2 weeks before the next quarter

---> You only have one redemption method: $50 check

---> Citi bonus cash center is lackluster compared to UR Mall and ShopDiscover

---> $300 annual cap works against 1% spending

Message 7 of 20
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

The biggest draw back is the 300 dollar annual cap.  Granted, one would have to spend 30K (which I could never afford) @ 1% CB to reach the 300 dollar cap.  But you never know how spending will be during the life of the card.  One year I might actually spend more than 30k and Citi will leave me high and dry.  So the cap is a big draw back.

Plus, it seems to only come in one flavor:  Visa.  Gross.  lol.

You have to hunt and hunt for the MC app on their site but it kinda seems if you app online for the MC version then you wont get the sign up bonus.

Message 8 of 20
bribro
Valued Contributor

It's a solid card, and complements my other CCs well. Since there's no annual fee, and you can get a decent signup bonus, it's hard to argue against applying if you're at all interested.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 9 of 20
distantarray
Established Contributor

i'm honestly not interest lol i just wondered why I don't see many posts about it but many for Freedom and Discover

my wallet is good enough already

17k Navy , 6.5k Citi Forward, 5.5k Amex BCP, 5k Chase Sapphire Preferred, 3k Freedom card, 5k walmart card(free Fico) , $1200 kays card (starter) $1,000 HSBC secured 

I'm not a huge fan of rotating categories but with Freedom it's 6.25% for extra $75 a year which helps take care of most my Sapphire annual fee. (points transferred to travel, sapphre is my vacation card lol)

Only one I want now is US Bank Cash+

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.