cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Double Cash Approved! Bad CL and APR With 764EX!

tag
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Citi Double Cash Approved! Bad CL and APR With 764EX!

Hey guys,

I don't want to sound like a brat but I'm a bit disappointed with my new Citi limit and APR. This is my first Citi card and I have what I consider very good credit and my last card approval was $10k. I have been wanting the Double Cash like many and was pre-approved for 23.99% APR. I thought that maybe that information from that preapproval was when they soft pulled months ago and it would be a much lower APR when I applied. This was flawed thinking. With the scores you see below- they pulled my EX which is a 764 (at least I didn't lose points on the inq) they only gave me a $3,700 credit line with 23% APR. I'm quite disappointed with that. Maybe I shouldn't have applied through my preapproval site and just applied "cold"? Would that have made a difference? Currently I make near $70k a year and have low housing expenses and no derogatories or anything. Flawless credit. On paper I'm a great applicant. So, what gives? Is Citi or the DC card known for this? I am making myself feel better knowing that I never carry a balance but it still bums me out a bit.

Any wisdom or experience appreciated! Thanks!!

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Double Cash Approved! Bad CL and APR With 764EX!

This card is known to start with low limits. Mine was approved last month at $2600, I requested an increase when the card came in and it bumped to $15,000. Cost a HP but made the card more usable. I have the same APR too.

Message 2 of 36
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This card is known to start with low limits. Mine was approved last month at $2600, I requested an increase when the card came in and it bumped to $15,000. Cost a HP but made the card more usable. I have the same APR too.

They also started me at $2600.

But in the 15 months since then I haven't been able to get a CLI, so I'm still at $2600.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

maybe that's the minimum for first citi credit card holders. Last year I applied for first citi card 'thankyou premier', and my score was around 760, i got approved for 3700 cl with 20.99 or something.

Message 4 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Hey guys,

I don't want to sound like a brat but I'm a bit disappointed with my new Citi limit and APR. This is my first Citi card and I have what I consider very good credit and my last card approval was $10k. I have been wanting the Double Cash like many and was pre-approved for 23.99% APR. I thought that maybe that information from that preapproval was when they soft pulled months ago and it would be a much lower APR when I applied. This was flawed thinking. With the scores you see below- they pulled my EX which is a 764 (at least I didn't lose points on the inq) they only gave me a $3,700 credit line with 23% APR. I'm quite disappointed with that. Maybe I shouldn't have applied through my preapproval site and just applied "cold"? Would that have made a difference? Currently I make near $70k a year and have low housing expenses and no derogatories or anything. Flawless credit. On paper I'm a great applicant. So, what gives? Is Citi or the DC card known for this? I am making myself feel better knowing that I never carry a balance but it still bums me out a bit.

citi dc will get to a big limit with scores like that by using a 2nd hp.  thankfully citi does APR reductions so in 15-18 months you can chat with customer service and try to get that reduced.

Also i had better luck in checking online for preapprovals with citi and the mail offers came and got better and better luckily I got 0 for 18 months then 13.99 (now 14.24). I say this because my online APR was showing 22.99

Message 5 of 36
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I don't know how to take Citi anymore if i ever really did but here's my experience with them so far. They started me with a first card (CDP) with them at only $800 that i was able to contact the EO office and they raised it (with a HP) to $2K in only 2 months. After that i took the 6 month SP CLI route until at 12 months did a PC over to Double Cash and still only opting for their what's become rather routine $1.4-1.5K every 6 month SP CLI.

Last month i jumped on a nice APR offer for the Simplicity at 13.99% after 21 months 0% but the mere $1K SL just threw ice cold water on the entire offer for me so i at-once called and closed it and chalked it up as a lesson and am steering clear of anymore Citi cards until they show some iron in their blood instead of mush for starting limits for a decent profile with excellent history with their existing card.

Now if anyone is willing to add another HP you can call their EO Dept and they can and might just do so much better and more in line with expectations.

Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I don't know how to take Citi anymore if i ever really did but here's my experience with them so far. They started me with a first card (CDP) with them at only $800 that i was able to contact the EO office and they raised it (with a HP) to $2K in only 2 months. After that i took the 6 month SP CLI route until at 12 months did a PC over to Double Cash and still only opting for their what's become rather routine $1.4-1.5K every 6 month SP CLI.

Last month i jumped on a nice APR offer for the Simplicity at 13.99% after 21 months 0% but the mere $1K SL just threw ice cold water on the entire offer for me so i at-once called and closed it and chalked it up as a lesson and am steering clear of anymore Citi cards until they show some iron in their blood instead of mush for starting limits for a decent profile with excellent history with their existing card.

Now if anyone is willing to add another HP you can call their EO Dept and they can and might just do so much better and more in line with expectations.

that is terrible CM!

can the hp cli happen at any time? off the sp schedule?

Message 7 of 36
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Hey guys,

Mine has a low limit also so it pretty much stays in the ole SD in favor of Fidelity AMEX where I actually have a usable limit.

No idea what my APR is.  DC is a rewards card so you really wouldn't want to carry a balance on it anyway or you would negate the rewards.

Message 8 of 36
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

that is terrible CM!

can the hp cli happen at any time? off the sp schedule?

Someone that's been down that road before can answer it for you. The only time i did was only 2 months into being a new customer like i posted about with the CDP.

Citi has their policies and reasons why their start limits are always lowball compared to competitors and good for them but some of us don't have the time or patience to have to babysit all over again another low limit card of theirs in the hopes it might grow to become a usable card and not SD material.

Message 9 of 36
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

There was once a man walking down the street complaining that he had no shoes, then he saw a man that had no feet! I wish I had a 3,700CL, I only got 2,000. I was going to do a HP CLI request when I got the card but I was swimming in inquiries so I didn't want to add another one, I will try a SP CLI when the card is 6mo in March.Woman Very Happy

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.