Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Double Cash: How to Use Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Double Cash: How to Use Question

Can I charge the card and pay off that charge before that same billing statement closes and still get the 1% for the purchase and 1% to pay it back? (2 percent total)

I typically let billing periods close first but I don’t want to close this cycle at over 30% usage on this card.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Citi Double Cash: How to Use Question

Yes you can Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

You'll actually get your 1% cash back more quickly if you pay off your balance before the statement cuts. If you wait, the cash won't come back until the next statement.

Also, when you redeem your rewards, redeem them into a bank account rather than taking a statement credit. A statement credit reduces the value of your rewards as it doesn't count as a "payment."

Message 3 of 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@HeavenOhiowrote:

Also, when you redeem your rewards, redeem them into a bank account rather than taking a statement credit. A statement credit reduces the value of your rewards as it doesn't count as a "payment."

Doesn't really matter if you're going to PIF and don't use the card much such that the 1% back isn't meaningful,  but you're correct that if one is carryihg a balance they're still required to organically pay at least the monthly minimum.  The reward can only be applied against whatever balance is left after the minimum payment is made.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusionwrote:

@HeavenOhiowrote:

Doesn't really matter if you're going to PIF and don't use the card much such that the 1% back isn't meaningful,  but you're correct that if one is carryihg a balance they're still required to organically pay at least the monthly minimum.  The reward can only be applied against whatever balance is left after the minimum payment is made.

I use Amazon Card for 5% on Amazon, Cash+ for 5% Cell Phone & 5%Utilities. I use the Double Cash for everything else which is to $1-$3k a month.

~est per month: $18 Cash+(apprx $360), $10 Amazon (apprx $200),$30 Double Cash (apprx:$1500)= $58/month or $696/year

I had a $500 statement balance and I paid in full already this month for it but I've ran so many charges on this card this month I didn't want the cycle to end and it to report at a high balance but I still want to get the 2% total Cash Back.

Message 5 of 16
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Can I charge the card and pay off that charge before that same billing statement closes and still get the 1% for the purchase and 1% to pay it back? (2 percent total)

I typically let billing periods close first but I don’t want to close this cycle at over 30% usage on this card.

Yes : If you only pay the current posted balance on the web page.  Pay from the web page by pulling from your checking it will only allow you to pay up to the current balance. (Safe).  The fine print says only 4 payments per month so you should not pay more than once a week.  After a cyle or so it will credit payments at the time you make them. (Makes it easy to pay at the last moment).   * (Don't remember but it seams like the first couple of months you might be limited to 1 payment, and payments take a few days)

Yes : If you need to pay more than 4-times, you can push from you bank, however do not push more than the posted balance

No:  If you pre-pay by pushing money from you checking to the bank, and it post prior to the charges posting to the account. (You will lose the 1%).  This is one CC you do not want to ever push extra money too for the purpose of controlling "Util".

Message 6 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

You will get your points whenever you pay and whenever you charge. They don't get credited until the next statement though.

And one thing to watch out for: if you redeem your cash as a statement credit they don't give you credit for it as a payment, so  you should always redeem your points by a different method... direct deposit or check.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforcewrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Yes : If you only pay the current posted balance on the web page.  Pay from the web page by pulling from your checking it will only allow you to pay up to the current balance. (Safe).  The fine print says only 4 payments per month so you should not pay more than once a week.  After a cyle or so it will credit payments at the time you make them. (Makes it easy to pay at the last moment).   * (Don't remember but it seams like the first couple of months you might be limited to 1 payment, and payments take a few days)

Yes : If you need to pay more than 4-times, you can push from you bank, however do not push more than the posted balance

No:  If you pre-pay by pushing money from you checking to the bank, and it post prior to the charges posting to the account. (You will lose the 1%).  This is one CC you do not want to ever push extra money too for the purpose of controlling "Util".

I never knew about the 4 payment thing. I pay 6-10 times every month and, so far, without issue. These are all "pull" payments through the Citi site, not "push" payments.

Maybe they just say that to discourage that type of behavior (I've noticed Discover gives some type of warning about a bunch of payments too, but it never seems to matter). I can see why maybe they wouldn't want people to do it this way, but at the end of the day, they are just getting paid for the money owed.

Message 8 of 16
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous

I never knew about the 4 payment thing. I pay 6-10 times every month and, so far, without issue. These are all "pull" payments through the Citi site, not "push" payments.

Maybe they just say that to discourage that type of behavior (I've noticed Discover gives some type of warning about a bunch of payments too, but it never seems to matter). I can see why maybe they wouldn't want people to do it this way, but at the end of the day, they are just getting paid for the money owed.

Good "Data Point". Nice to know that they are not enforcing this policy.

I find it so easy to pay last moment from Citi's web page that I never pay more that 2 times in a month.

I pay a couple days before statement cuts, and a few days after to cover any pending that posted.

Message 9 of 16
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous

I use Amazon Card for 5% on Amazon, Cash+ for 5% Cell Phone & 5%Utilities. I use the Double Cash for everything else which is to $1-$3k a month.

Wait What?  5% Cell phone and 5% utilities?   Is this the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Visa?   I just got one and don't recall seeing that in the rewards program.

Now back to the DC.  I just got one of those too, so if I push a payment from my bank to cover a pending transaction and my payment posts before the purchase I will not get the 1% for payment but I still get the 1% for purchase or do I lose both?

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.