Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Double Cash - World Elite Upgrade

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Double Cash - World Elite Upgrade

This week I got an email telling me my DC has been upgraded and a new card is coming. I always thought World was shorthand for World Elite, but now I know better.

I'm curious what this means? Why the new card and big fanfare? Is this rare? I did some googling and it looks like this is something you're chosen for.

I'm a year's long lurker on this forum, first post.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Double Cash - World Elite Upgrade

There are many many posts on here from people asking the differences between World and World Elite, and Visa Platinum compared to Visa Signature.

I haven't read over the threads on here but you can definitely find them with a quick Google search. Basically, it seems that the World Elite and Visa Signature have a few extra (usually unused) perks like 24/7 American customer service, primary insurance for rental cars, and a few other random goodies.

Either way, congrats on the free upgrade! I've been trying to get CapitalOne to bump my QS to a Visa Sig ever since it passed the 5k minimum CL but they keep telling me it isn't possible, even though tons of users here are given the upgrade on a regular basis...

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny you mention the QS. Cap1 just upgraded me from QS1 to QS. I had to ask, but my account had the option. Forgot to ask if that means it's graduating to a world card as it also has a CL over 5k
Message 3 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

World Elites benefits also can vary from lender to lender and probably for different cards within a lender possibly even... In all honesty 99% of the people probably never use the WEMC or Visa Signature benefits.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Funny you mention the QS. Cap1 just upgraded me from QS1 to QS. I had to ask, but my account had the option. Forgot to ask if that means it's graduating to a world card as it also has a CL over 5k

It's technically doable, though lenders seem to have been handing out "World" MasterCards that were below the 5k limit... my Sallie Mae and TYP both say "World Mastercard" but neither is 5k+ yet.

Message 5 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
This week I got an email telling me my DC has been upgraded and a new card is coming. I always thought World was shorthand for World Elite, but now I know better.

I'm curious what this means? Why the new card and big fanfare? Is this rare? I did some googling and it looks like this is something you're chosen for.

I'm a year's long lurker on this forum, first post.

Just something Citi has been doing lately with their Double Cash CC as far as upgrading or with initial approvals.  Nothing rare and definitely nothing special.  The Double Cash WEMC are a dime a dozen these days.

Message 6 of 9
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are many many posts on here from people asking the differences between World and World Elite, and Visa Platinum compared to Visa Signature.

I haven't read over the threads on here but you can definitely find them with a quick Google search. Basically, it seems that the World Elite and Visa Signature have a few extra (usually unused) perks like 24/7 American customer service, primary insurance for rental cars, and a few other random goodies.

Either way, congrats on the free upgrade! I've been trying to get CapitalOne to bump my QS to a Visa Sig ever since it passed the 5k minimum CL but they keep telling me it isn't possible, even though tons of users here are given the upgrade on a regular basis...

That is actually not a benefit of either.  It is a very rare beneift that only the CSP and maybe another card or two offer.  They just happen to be visa signatures.

Message 7 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It really doesn't mean much for most.  Read the benefits packet that you'll receive and see if any of the tier-specific benefits would be of use to you.

Message 8 of 9
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Probably not, unless you spend a lot of money on it.  I have three QS cards, one started off as a QS1 card, one started off as an HSBC card, and the other started off as a Visa Signature card.  The limit on the first one is over $5000 and it is merely still a MC Platinum, the second one is not over $5000, and the third one started off with a $5000 limit.  So even though I must qualify for a World card, since it is basically the same level as a Signature card, they don't seem interested in upgrading the MC to World status.  My plan is to combine the other two cards to the one with the lowest limit and lowest APR to see what happens.  My bet is that nothing will happen but I will end up with a limit over $20K.  So I will basically have a lower APR and a huge limit with a card I will place in my sock drawer and only use it for overseas travels whenever Discover is not accepted....

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.