Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Double Cash vs Fidelity Amex

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Citi Double Cash vs Fidelity Amex

I am curious to see which one would you prefer and why? I closed my Fidelity Amex and transferred the CL to my BoA Travel Rewards.

I don't like the fact that Fidelity Amex's rewards expire every 5 years, even though I know I could redeem it before it expires.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Citi Double Cash vs Fidelity Amex

@DigitalArk wrote:

I am curious to see which one would you prefer and why? I closed my Fidelity Amex and transferred the CL to my BoA Travel Rewards.

I don't like the fact that Fidelity Amex's rewards expire every 5 years, even though I know I could redeem it before it expires.

The whole purpose of the Fidelity amex is to transfer to a fidelity account and invest... if you leave them sitting on your account you are not earning 2% and they should expire! you move them to a cash management account they can't expire.

Message 2 of 12
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

The whole purpose of the Fidelity amex is to transfer to a fidelity account and invest... if you leave them sitting on your account you are not earning 2% and they should expire! you move them to a cash management account they can't expire.

I knew. I had it set up to auto transfer to my Fidelity CMA as soon as it accumulated $50+. 

Message 3 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

Don't have either but the double cash is a better option. It's a MasterCard, so it's more widely accepted.

Citi's protection coverages may be slightly better or they may be the same. That's not a big deal however.

And for picky people on this forums, citi is sometimes able to process SP CLIs. FIA is strictly HP CLI only.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 12
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Don't have either but the double cash is a better option. It's a MasterCard, so it's more widely accepted.

Citi's protection coverages may be slightly better or they may be the same. That's not a big deal however.

And for picky people on this forums, citi is sometimes able to process SP CLIs. FIA is strictly HP CLI only.

They offer virtual account number for online shopping, which is a really cool feature that I love!

Message 5 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Citi has a lower minimum redemption threshold as well. It also doesn't require an existing relationship to acquire. The fid amex requires a banking relationship. 

Message 6 of 12
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Citi has a lower minimum redemption threshold as well. It also doesn't require an existing relationship to acquire. The fid amex requires a banking relationship. 

That explains why i was approved lol. My credit score stinks right now (648) but i still got a 6k limit.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 7 of 12
Involver
Valued Contributor

Both.
Message 8 of 12
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I don't have the DC, but I'm honestly not a big fan of Citi.  I will have it once my CDP hits the 12 month mark and I PC that sucker but I can't imagine I will use it often.  I rarely ever stumble into a place where AMEX isn't accepted and my general distaste for Citi will likely insure that the card remains in the SD.

I love my Fidelity AMEX and FIA has been nothing but good to me.  Unfortunately I can't say the same about Citi.  Maybe I'll come around once I actually have the card?

Message 9 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Well, requires that you open a CMA for best redemption, which is a very low threshold, but still a threshold.

To me, the major differences for normal expenses are:

1) Lower redemption threshold on DC

2) Greater acceptance on DC

3) Lower FTF on Fidelity

1) is the only one that really matters to me (I would a true no-FTF card when needed) so I have switched my Fidelity use to DC, except for

4) Amex giftcards count as CA on DC

so those purchases will continue on Fidelity.  

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.