Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Double Cash

tag
PointLager
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Double Cash

I personally converted one of my Citi cards to the ATT access more. 3x thank you points for ALL online purchases is massive for me especially when paired w Citi prestige , which allows me to transfer out to airlines (and realize average of 2 cents per point value) or buy cash flights for 1.25 cents per point.
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did they offer you $100 converting from the Diamond Preferred to the new card?

Message 12 of 21
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I'm almost at the end of the intro APR on my DP and I don't know what I'm going to do with this card as I already have a DC.  Does anyone have any idea of any other card that Citi will let you PC a DP to?

Message 13 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Loquat wrote:

I'm almost at the end of the intro APR on my DP and I don't know what I'm going to do with this card as I already have a DC.  Does anyone have any idea of any other card that Citi will let you PC a DP to?

I'm in a similar position; my intro period on my Diamond Preferred is up in March, and I have the USAA Limitless which makes a 2% card (with no other 'perks', such as Blispay) not so alluring.

I'm likely going to try a PC to a Dividend; I have Discover already but having another 5% category card could be useful especially if/when the categories don't overlap. 

I admit I'm already dreading the call, though... from what I've read the process is either totally painless and takes a few minutes, or it's a game of HUCA with reps who aren't informed, with little in-between.  Smiley Frustrated  (This is assuming the PC to Dividend is even still possible.)

Message 14 of 21
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Legal_Girl wrote:

I got an email from Citi today telling me I could convert my Diamond Preferred to Double Cash.  Needless to say, I took the offer.  It will be nice to get some kind of reward/cash back on a Citi card.

Congradulations,  I think you will like the card.

A little off topic, however a couple of things you should be aware of as a new Double Cash owner.

1) if you want to get a Direct Deposit for your cash back, ( The only way to get the full 2% ),  you need

to establish history (and continue history) by making payment from Citi's online system,

and not by pushing money from your  bank's bill pay.

2) It takes a 2-3 months for credit score, instant payment, and ability to transfer

cashback to you checking. (be a little patient and all services come alive)

3) Can not pre-pay pending charges without loosing 1% cashback (need to pay only

posted balance on this card).

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi KForce,

I'm not sure what the issue is to receiving full 2% as statement credit??

If the cardholder requests the full CB AFTER paying balance and not before.  It appears everyone is referring to requesting statement credit before paying balance which ends up as 1.99% instead of 2%. This way the cardholder would receive full 2% as statement credit correct?

Example:

$1000 purchase, 1% cash back $10 (don't redeem as statement credit right away), then complete balance payment $1000, earn another 1% cash back $10. Then and only then redeem as statement credit. This will then earn full 2%. Since I use my card each month, I can use the full CB the following month. Did I miss anything?

I don't understand why everyone says there is no choice to limit this to 1.99% when redeeming as statement credit??

Message 16 of 21
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Example:

$1000 purchase, 1% cash back $10 (don't redeem as statement credit right away), then complete balance payment $1000, earn another 1% cash back $10. Then and only then redeem as statement credit. This will then earn full 2%. Since I use my card each month, I can use the full CB the following month. Did I miss anything?

With your example, your credit tracking account will now have a  credit of $20 so with

the next $100 spend you only owe $80 and will lose 1% of the credit on the payment side.

You lose 1% of the cash back as payment credit the next cycle. It is very small and many feel it

is easy to just get statement credit,  others push it to checking to maneuver around the loss.

The same thing happens if you pay more than what the balance is. If you were to pre-pay $500,

you would lose 1% of $500.

Message 17 of 21
Legal_Girl
Frequent Contributor

Sorry Mench, I just saw this.  I deleted the email after I converted and I cannot remember for sure.  I know when I read the offer at the time it was definitely worth converting.

Homeowner Again as of July 17, 2014. Thanks to the VA and NFCU. FICOs EQ - 786/EX - 782/TU - 778/Quicksilver $3,500 / Cred 1 $2,875 / 1st Natl $4,250/ Kohls Visa $5k / Mercury MC $5,850 / NFCU Visa Sig Cash Rew $27k/ Lowes $25k / Best Buy Visa $11k/ NFCU LOC $15k / Walmart MC $7.5k / Chase Freedom Unlimited $1,500 / Discover IT $27,000 / Discover IT Chrome $21,500 / Citi DC $7,300 / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $17,500 / Citi Simplicity $18,500 / Citi Premier $8,200 / Care Credit $10k/ AMEX Gold - NSL / Chase Sapphire Preferred $20,500
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much KForce...now I understand. The statement credit makes it impossible to earn the additional full 1% on the payment, so no matter what the balance is at any given time, it takes away one's ability to ever make a payment for the same amount the balance was reduced by.

Message 19 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks very much KForce...now I understand. The statement credit makes it impossible to earn the additional full 1% on the payment, so no matter what the balance is at any given time, it takes away one's ability to ever make a payment for the same amount the balance was reduced by.

Yes, but as KForce says, for many it is a very small amount, reducing the generally small cash back by 1/200.   On the other hand, depositing instead to your bank account isn't that much extra work either!

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.