Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Doublecash Overlimit

tag
VanillaThunder
Established Member

Citi Doublecash Overlimit

Say my CL is $3000, I want to pay my tuition that is approximately $3200. Would citi let this transaction through, and if they would is there an over limit fee? I would pay it off as soon as it posts.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Doublecash Overlimit

@VanillaThunder wrote:
Say my CL is $3000, I want to pay my tuition that is approximately $3200. Would citi let this transaction through, and if they would is there an over limit fee? I would pay it off as soon as it posts.

They probably wouldn't  approve the transaction as it isn't a flexible spending card. Your best bet is to call them and ask for a temporary or permanent increase to cover this one time charge

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@VanillaThunder wrote:

They probably wouldn't  approve the transaction as it isn't a flexible spending card. Your best bet is to call them and ask for a temporary or permanent increase to cover this one time charge

Agreed.  You can also see the disclosures that came with the card to see if it is a flexible spending account..

Message 3 of 23
taxi818
Super Contributor

Note as well. if for some reason they did. you would be paying thru the nose for going over the limit. put it on 2 cards would be best. instead of maxing out a single card.

Message 4 of 23
VanillaThunder
Established Member

I don't see anything in my cardmember agreement about fees, but I'll just charge the $3000 and let financial aid pay the rest. $60-$8.50 fee is still $51.50 in free money
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VanillaThunder wrote:
I don't see anything in my cardmember agreement about fees, but I'll just charge the $3000 and let financial aid pay the rest. $60-$8.50 fee is still $51.50 in free money

Do you have any other cards?  If so, what are the limits on them?

Message 6 of 23
yellowcake
Regular Contributor

Why not push the payment to the card (resulting in a credit balance) then use it for tuition? No over the limit fee in this case.
Message 7 of 23
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think there is an overlimit fee. See if you can get a SP CLI and then you'll be able to charge the whole amount. (Maybe explain to CSR what you're planning on doing.)
Message 8 of 23
VanillaThunder
Established Member

Yes it's me, my next best choice would be my QS1. Well actually, do Amex rewards come in $25 or can I redeem like $34.83?
Message 9 of 23
NRB525
Super Contributor

@yellowcake wrote:
Why not push the payment to the card (resulting in a credit balance) then use it for tuition? No over the limit fee in this case.

I think this would not give the "pushed' payment the double cash reward.

My understanding is the first 1% is marked with the reward, and puts that charged amount in a "payment pool". The second 1% is earned by payment, draws from that pool, so over time you'd probably not get the second 1%, on whatever the pushed payment amount was.

Now, it might take 30 years for that to catch up, but still, $5 is $5, now or 30 years from now Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.