Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Financial

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Financial

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
I'm afraid that HouseHunter is correct. A CFL will report as an everyday installment loan on your reports, but there's a code attached to it that directs the scoring formula to treat it differently. That's one of the many irritating things about CFL's --you don't even know for sure when you get one.

Those who get a negative comment about their presence generally don't have a lot of real negatives left. Unless you have a lot of CFL's, I would think that once this negative comes up on screen 2, that means that they're almost out of negatives for you. (Hope so for your sake, anyway!)

Here's how my only CFL appears:

CITIFINANCIAL RETAIL SVC
Status Details: This account is scheduled to continue on
record until Oct 2017.
Date Opened:
07/2004
Type:
Revolving
Reported Since:
07/2004
Terms:
NA
Date of Status:
10/2007
Monthly Payment:
$0
Last Reported:
10/2007
Responsibility:
Individual
Credit Limit/Original Amount:
$6,500
High Balance:
$3,887
Recent Balance:
NA
Recent Payment:
NA
Balance History:
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 11 of 29
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

With the negativity of the CFL hurting your score, do the points come back when you pay the loan off?

Or once it's there does it hurt for 10 years.
Here we go again...
Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Financial services will HURT your score and it scares away quality lenders. CitiFinancial is the sub-prime lender for Citi. Another one to sat away from is American General.
Message 13 of 29
nosxih
Regular Contributor

Please tell me it is not that bad. I just got a 5K loan from citi financial and I do not need any significant negative impacts on my score. It has not posted to my reports yet. It will post this month.
What kind of hit can I anticipate? say a couple of points?

I also already have an Ashley's Firn. account/card that is reporting from Citi and it does not seem to be impacting my score negativly. At least from what I can find.

Message Edited by nosxih on 05-07-2008 03:26 PM
Message 14 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It isn't that bad. And it's not so much that you will lose points, as that you won't get quite as many points as you would have if it had been a signature loan from a bank or CU, for instance.

Think of it as being a bit like a store card. A store card is a useful tradeline, but it doesn't carry quite the oomph of a bank card. In other words, all other things being equal, if you only had 3 store cards, your scores would be a bit lower than if you had 3 bank cards, but it's still useful to have those store card tradelines.

(And this is completely separate from the do-you-need-to-have-a-store-card debate. Smiley Tongue )

Nothing changes when they're paid off. They're still there. But don't go trying to delete them. There's an excellent chance that their mere existence as a tradeline with history is worth much more than whatever negative might be associated with a CFL. This would definitely qualify as throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Essentially, if you've got them, you've got them. Treat them as you would any other loan: don't get behind, and keep them open at least 6 months, preferably 12, before paying them off. But if you're looking for financing, go to a credit union first before going with a CFL.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 29
kball64
Frequent Contributor

My auto loan is through Citi Financial Auto.  Is this also considered a CFL?  I haven't seen anything on my reports indicating it's having a negative impact.
Message 16 of 29
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I am so tempted to add an installment loan from Citi Financial. I have decided to wait 6 more months and then try for Citi Flex LOC. I dont need loan. I'll wait 6 months.
Message 17 of 29
nosxih
Regular Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
It isn't that bad. And it's not so much that you will lose points, as that you won't get quite as many points as you would have if it had been a signature loan from a bank or CU, for instance...

Thanks for the great explanation! That did alleviate my concern quite a bit and probably others readers too.

I do have several other accounts in good standing so I don't think this will be a great impact. (And I got a awesome motorcycle too!)

I plan to pay regular payments on this until next year. I get my annual bonus about this time next year and I will pay the balance then so it should look pretty good by then.

Maybe I can balance it off by getting a good prime card sometime in the next 6 months too. Thanks again!

Message Edited by nosxih on 05-07-2008 09:02 PM
Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I just got some furniture financed from American Financial and they had the best offer for me, 0% for 2 years. That's much better than what I have with NFCU/AMEX/DISCOVER/CITI/JFCU and a few others as far as what I wanted. I got my scorewatch and my FICO has not changed from before I got the loan. Don't get me wrong, my other prime cards are at a low interest rate but not @ 0% purchase. FWIW.
Message 19 of 29
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Check your credit report and let us know if it is coded as installment loan or revolving credit. I think if it is coded as revolving credit then it might not affect your scores.

workingit wrote:
Well I just got some furniture financed from American Financial and they had the best offer for me, 0% for 2 years. That's much better than what I have with NFCU/AMEX/DISCOVER/CITI/JFCU and a few others as far as what I wanted. I got my scorewatch and my FICO has not changed from before I got the loan. Don't get me wrong, my other prime cards are at a low interest rate but not @ 0% purchase. FWIW.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.