Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Forward 5% ?

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Citi Forward 5% ?

I was thinking of possibly getting this card if I get turned down for a US Bank Cash+ in 6 months or so of gardening, so seems like some people can only get 0.8 cents for each point, so how do you get a full point value for gift cards?

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
stone
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi Forward 5% ?

redeem for $100, or get a citi thankyou credit card.

also, it is better to redeem when the discount is available. e.g. 4500 pts for $50 gc

Message 2 of 11
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Couple redemption methods,

* Amazon Shop With Points  --> 0.8%/4% return

Use your TY points on Amazon, similar how Chase Amazon works.

* Redeem it for gift card ---> 1%/5% or 0.8%/4% return

I get 1:1 redemption ratio but some people reported 1:0.8 instead

* Student loan or mortgage payment ---> 1%/5% return

Use TY points to pay loans. You call in and ask Citi to mail a check to lender. 1:1 redemption ratio.

* Buy airline tickets ---> 1%/5% return

Use TY points to buy tickets through Citi's online portal. 1:1 redmeption ratio

* Cash/Statement credit ---> 0.5%/2.5% return

Avoid this if possible. 1:0.5 redmption ratio.

Message 3 of 11
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trumpet-205 wrote:

* Redeem it for gift card ---> 1%/5% or 0.8%/4% return

I get 1:1 redemption ratio but some people reported 1:0.8 instead

If I'm not mistaken, you get 1:1 because you also have the ThankYou Preferred card.  There are a couple different ThankYou cards that allow you to get the better redemption rate, and from what I understand, if you have one of them, you get the better rate regardless of which card you used to earn the points.  i.e., if you have both Forward and ThankYou Preferred, the latter gets you the better redemption rate even on points earned from the Forward card.  I only have the Forward, so I don't get the better rates.  But I can still get 1:1 on mortgage payments.

Message 5 of 11
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, you get 1:1 because you also have the ThankYou Preferred card.  There are a couple different ThankYou cards that allow you to get the better redemption rate, and from what I understand, if you have one of them, you get the better rate regardless of which card you used to earn the points.  i.e., if you have both Forward and ThankYou Preferred, the latter gets you the better redemption rate even on points earned from the Forward card.  I only have the Forward, so I don't get the better rates.  But I can still get 1:1 on mortgage payments.

My ThankYou Preferred was Citi Dividend to begin with. I converted it to ThankYou Preferred last month. Before the conversion I got 1:1 redemption ratio.

I do NOT believe you need ThankYou Preferred to get better redemption ratio.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My ThankYou Preferred was Citi Dividend to begin with. I converted it to ThankYou Preferred last month. Before the conversion I got 1:1 redemption ratio.

No, I don't mean to suggest you need that specific card, I've read there are several cards that do it, but from what I understand, not the Forward alone.

Message 7 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, I don't mean to suggest you need that specific card, I've read there are several cards that do it, but from what I understand, not the Forward alone.

Similar to how if you have a zync (or any other card that earns MRe points) and you have any charge card that earns MR points you can convert them. Only difference is we're not sure exactly which cards they are with citi xD 

Message 8 of 11
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Problem is, I had 1:1 redemption ratio before the converstion, and before my AT&T card (which uses TY reward as well). My Forward was alone when I had 1:1 redemption ratio.

Message 9 of 11
nagisa
New Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Couple redemption methods,

* Amazon Shop With Points  --> 0.8%/4% return

Use your TY points on Amazon, similar how Chase Amazon works.

Does it just ask you when you checkout if you'd like to Pay With Points (kinda like AMEX MR too) with no minimum?  Also how long does it take TY points to post?

I have both Chase Amazon and Citi Forward. When I'm shopping on Amazon, should I use the Forward as that will get 4% (as opposed to 3% on Chase)? Is there any advantage to using the Chase amazon on Amazon? I don't like dealing with gift cards because I find it inconvenient and I always forget to order/use them.

PNC Points Visa $3.3k (5/09), Amex PRG NPSP (9/10), Amex BCP $19.7k (10/12), Chase Amazon $4.8k (10/12), Citi Forward $7.5k (11/12), Chase Southwest RR Premier $8k (3/13), Discover it $4.3k (11/13), Citi Double Cash $18k (PC'd 9/16 from AA Executive 7/15), Chase CSR $12.2k (9/16)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.