cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Forward Amazon TYP: NW Trolling, False Alarm

tag
YahComb
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Forward Amazon loophole closed?

i left a comment yesterday asking how they obtained that info, and that peoples purchases were still coming up as bookstore for amazon.

they said that they were hearing electronics clothing toys and such were no longer going to count for the 5 TYP. I'm guessing they got their "confirmation" from some CSR with no real clue as to how the transaction system works.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 31 of 38
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Wow.  I am losing even more respect for Nerd Wallet.  Just tried the link to the original article.  Instead of saying they were retracting report or acknowledging article in any way, they just deleted it.  So basically they yelled out a lie and instead of correcting the lie, they basically pretending it never happened which allows the incorrect info to continue to float around the internet.

OP, are you able to change your thread name to indicate nerd wallet report being incorrect?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 32 of 38
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

The following is from USA Today:

UPDATE: NerdWallet has issued a retraction.  Read below 

NerdWallet reports that the Citi Forward card no longer gives 5X points for Amazon.com purchases.  Here’s an excerpt from NerdWallet’s post:

The Citi Forward gives 5 ThankYou Points per $1 spent on movies, music, restaurants and bookstores – the last of which used to include Amazon. However, as NerdWallet has confirmed, this is no longer the case.

This is bad news for Forward fans.  However, since this card has no annual fee and still gives 5X for several popular categories, I still think this is a great card for spend within those categories.

UPDATE: NerdWallet has issued the following retraction:

Retraction: After hearing reports that the Citi Forward no longer gave 5x points on Amazon.com, NerdWallet contacted their customer services representatives to find out more. While we heard from multiple CSRs that Amazon no longer counts, our readers have told us that they still receive 5x points. We strive to provide the best content for our readers, but we jumped the gun on this one, and we sincerely apologize to our readers.

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 33 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a relief.  Coincidentally I just received my Citi Forward card yesterday.  All of the literature that came with it talked about getting 1pt per dollar... NOTHING mentioned getting 5x points anywhere.  So I called, and they confirmed that I should get 5x points @ restuarants, bookstores, music, & movies.  I didn't ask about non-book Amazon purchases.  The person I talked to didn't seem real sure about any of it, so I didn't see the point in asking about something even more grey.

Message 34 of 38
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's a relief.  Coincidentally I just received my Citi Forward card yesterday.  All of the literature that came with it talked about getting 1pt per dollar... NOTHING mentioned getting 5x points anywhere@.  So I called, and they confirmed that I should get 5x points @ restuarants, bookstores, music, & movies.  I didn't ask about non-book Amazon purchases.  The person I talked to didn't seem real sure about any of it, so I didn't see the point in asking about something even more grey.

I also just received my Citi Forward yesterday.  I can't seem to access the ThankYou Points site though...even though I am the primary cardholder >Smiley Surprised
.  Probably a website issue though, if I still get the error tomorrow I'll contact customer service.

Anyways, I'm glad the article was a false alarm (for now).  The 5x points on Amazon was one of the main reasons I got this card, but like others have said, still a great dining card.  Also, I like how according to the article, the last customer service representative said Amazin gives SIX points per dollar spent, lol!  Seems like a lot of CSRs don't really know what they're talking about...

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 35 of 38
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

@sakhalin070 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's a relief.  Coincidentally I just received my Citi Forward card yesterday.  All of the literature that came with it talked about getting 1pt per dollar... NOTHING mentioned getting 5x points anywhere@.  So I called, and they confirmed that I should get 5x points @ restuarants, bookstores, music, & movies.  I didn't ask about non-book Amazon purchases.  The person I talked to didn't seem real sure about any of it, so I didn't see the point in asking about something even more grey.

I also just received my Citi Forward yesterday.  I can't seem to access the ThankYou Points site though...even though I am the primary cardholder >Smiley Surprised
.  Probably a website issue though, if I still get the error tomorrow I'll contact customer service.

Anyways, I'm glad the article was a false alarm (for now).  The 5x points on Amazon was one of the main reasons I got this card, but like others have said, still a great dining card.  Also, I like how according to the article, the last customer service representative said Amazin gives SIX points per dollar spent, lol!  Seems like a lot of CSRs don't really know what they're talking about...

You need to create an account in www.thankyou.com

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 36 of 38
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

@CruzImperial wrote:

@sakhalin070 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I tried, but still got this error:

"You must be the ThankYou® Account member — generally the Citi® primary cardmember or primary signer on the enrolled Citibank® checking account — to access the associated ThankYou Member Account from this website. ThankYou Account membership and Points redemption are subject to applicable Terms & Conditions."

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 37 of 38
amac373
Established Member

sakhalin070 wrote:

CruzImperial wrote:

sakhalin070 wrote:

CreviceTool wrote:

That's a relief.  Coincidentally I just received my Citi Forward card yesterday.  All of the literature that came with it talked about getting 1pt per dollar... NOTHING mentioned getting 5x points anywhere.  So I called, and they confirmed that I should get 5x points @ restuarants, bookstores, music, & movies.  I didn't ask about non-book Amazon purchases.  The person I talked to didn't seem real sure about any of it, so I didn't see the point in asking about something even more grey.

I tried, but still got this error:

"You must be the ThankYou® Account member — generally the Citi® primary cardmember or primary signer on the enrolled Citibank® checking account — to access the associated ThankYou Member Account from this website. ThankYou Account membership and Points redemption are subject to applicable Terms & Conditions."

I know this is an old topic but I am having the same problem. I recently got my Citi Card and have earned some TY points. Of course I can't even attempt to redeem them because I keep getting the above error message when directly logged in to the card site and when going to the TY site. Anybody else have this issue and get it resolved?

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.