Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Forward... Approval Criteria?

tag
shiftomnimega
Regular Contributor

Citi Forward... Approval Criteria?

Despite failing six months ago I just got bored this evening and decided to apply for Citi Forward.  Things that have changed since 6 months ago:

I have 3 more hard inquiries on my EQ report (and at least 1 on EX and TU). 

My Blue Cash Card is reporting

My Blue Cash Card CL went up to 10k from 4.5k

Approved for Discover More (2k then CLI to 3k)

Approved for Sony Card (Cap1 3k)

My car is just about paid off

Negative is still on my account, but now it's 6 months closer to coming off... I guess.

Result of application to Citi Forward?

Approved, 6k.  Wow.  This is now my second biggest trade line.

I am guessing that Citi's approval system heavily favors utilization.  My utilization was about 12% six months ago, but because of all my new lines of credit it is now sitting at 7%. 

I assumed I was denied before because of the negative.  I ignored the lack of credit referrals as a fluke.  I figured having so many fresh accounts in the last 6 months would have counted against me, but no, Citi doesn't seem to care. 

Now, I can spend $15k at restaurants and Amazon this year and max out my rewards for $700 in gift certificates Smiley Happy!

So not saying it's a good idea, but app sprees don't seem to deter creditors from giving you a credit card.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi Forward... Approval Criteria?

citi denied me for the att universal card a month ago because I had 6 new accounts opened in the last 6 months and too many inquiries, I dont think Utilization was even an issue because I was at 20%. They just didnt like to see all those recently opened accounts and inquiries and want to see what im going to do with those accounts in the next 6 months just like what BOA told me too.

amazon
Message 2 of 3
shiftomnimega
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi Forward... Approval Criteria?

@tsquad131 wrote:

citi denied me for the att universal card a month ago because I had 6 new accounts opened in the last 6 months and too many inquiries, I dont think Utilization was even an issue because I was at 20%. They just didnt like to see all those recently opened accounts and inquiries and want to see what im going to do with those accounts in the next 6 months just like what BOA told me too.

Perhaps their approval program is different for each card?

That said, 20% is sort of high.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.