Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Forward College & Income & Authorized User

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Forward College & Income & Authorized User

I've looked around but haven't really seen anything about the Citi Forward for college students card. I'm interested in applying around April/May but am unsure if I should. Currently I receive $19k annually in scholarships and was wondering if that's what I would report as income or would it be the $4k in refunds I receive from the school? Essentially I only get to "touch" $4k of it. I don't work but am interested in building credit and the 4k a year is more than enough to keep me busy. I've read around a bit but there isn't really a definite answer.

Current score (CK): TR - 654, Vantage - 710.

Credit Cards:

AU on Amazon Chase - $2k

AU on Target - $600

CapOne - $750

Paypal - $400

Current utilization is 50% but is going to drop to 6% at the end of the month.

No derogatory marks and 100% on-time.

Avg. age is 8 months, oldest being 1yr 3 months.

If needed my mom doesn't have a problem allowing me to piggyback on her credit (I'm currently AU on two). She has a 21 y/o account with JCP and 100% on-time payments but the CL is only $124. How much would this increase my score/chances of getting the card? CK has the score simulator but it isn't much help because the on-time payments only go up to 24 months. 

Thank for any help!

-J

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Forward College & Income & Authorized User

I'm not sure if there is a standard response for this but I always put down the amount of my refunds (i.e. the amount that I get for living expenses). I guess technically you could count tuition+fees but to me that's cheating a bit since you don't actually see any of that money. I have never had a problem with any bank questioning the refunds, even when I call in for a CLI and they ask for source of income. Better to be conservative than to risk AA in my opinion.

Message 2 of 3
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Forward College & Income & Authorized User

I would not count the full 19k as your income because you don't really have access to that amount. While building credit is important, you already have a few cards you can use right now. Only look for additional credit if you really need it. Until you are working and have a true income I would not recommend applying for more than you need. Being an AU will help build your credit until you graduate and get a full time job. I would stand pat.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.